Home

The History of the Universe

Master_Keralys

Do you believe evolution or intelligent design occured?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe evolution or intelligent design occured?

• Evolution
    • Intelligent design
    • Don't have a clue

Originally posted by Pierre the Frog

What I'm saying is accept evolution is happening now. What happened billions of years ago really wont help all that much

Not true. What happened in the past is just as important, perhaps moreso, then what's happening in the present and what will possibly happen in the future.

Knowledge is gained through observation; to throw away everything that we've found out about the past just because it was "billions of years ago" doesn't make sense. There is a lot of history there, and a lot to be observed, studied, identified, etc.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by C'jais

You could also just wipe that argument off the plate by saying that humans have a tendency to explain anything too complicated or immediately understood as the work of some higher being.

Exactly. It's an explanation for things we do not yet understand (our origin) and things we could never understand (our future).

EDIT: And thanks for the welcome.

Originally posted by dekerd

Exactly. It's an explanation for things we do not yet understand (our origin) and things we could never understand (our future).

and i think thats the problem with some of these people is they never accept new found answers with proof given. they just say its a god that made this and thats it.

they just say its a god that made this and thats it.

Out of the Test-tube of world's vanity and fear... just kidding

People are animals so you don't have to count on the them in these matters. And I grow faint from rage when thinking of people's wonderful ability of simplifying things (reason 1 lower in the text) and how pathologicaly they use it to suppress their fears. We all now stand in the head of the World Revolution as never before in the human history, which has started so instantly and is not eager to stop at all. In these stressful times people turn to the only "salvation" left for them to hide in. Instead of thinking the best of themselves they try to adopt the feeling of religious powers which give them right to answer any question that our (unfortunately subjective) fabric of reality indow by just quoting a passage from the bible. One have to know the bigger part of the answer to ask a question (I don't remember who said that). They try not to even think of answers TO ASK QUESTIONS. HOW DUMB IS THAT!!! And the quote about god's deed is just a question to what "god" they are refering to.

I don't try to say that the belief in god is outrighteous or that monotheistic way is better or more "developed" than the polytheistic one (Personally a believer and both mono and poly are the same. It's a stage everyone knows that!). The Force itself for example is a very good analogy of god (something out there, something you can barely interact with, something with an unknown purpose). And The Jedi Order as it's prophetary. Perhaps nothing new.

The evolution is definetly running our species and intellectual splash is one of it's elements (We just got lucky).

No matter for what answer you have come here (to hear opinions or just to chat as I did) you already know your origin. So this part of understanding that the Darwin's theory of evolution ( to say , it looks even better with Richard Dawkins additions) gives us is fulfilled. Now there is a way only for improvement and everything else leads to stagnation. And for a fact number of people who say otherwise is getting to the minimum. The same will happen to the people who say that "god did it and that's it"

You could also just wipe that argument off the plate by saying that humans have a tendency to explain anything too complicated or immediately understood as the work of some higher being.

People simplify things for different reasons:

1. To understand more clearly they winnow their most advanced theory so polishing them, sometimes unifying them with others

2. To minimize their efforts for understanding something they are not familiar with.

3. In the name Emperor Palpatine just because he commanded so

People complicate things for the SAME reasons

P. S.

I admire any single person who come here and even try to think of these matters (even though he had a brain surgery or some jawa tryed to talk to him on the matter of evolution, and some 2 minutes of his chattering made him invalid for the rest of his life). You all did a great job no matter what you tryed to prove. You all succeeded. That's why you're humans.

And if someone didn't find here anything worth reading or he already knew everything as a given fact than he still got the assurance of his own right opinion (At least I have) and that's incouraging

It is hard for a beginner to earn respect and that was not the primary reason to enter the conversation even though unanswered

Any criticism is expected only with gratitude and may the Force be with all of us...H:\Documents and Settings\Homuncul\My Documents\icon_jk2f.jpg

Originally posted by Homuncul

I admire any single person who come here and even try to think of these matters (even though he had a brain surgery or some jawa tryed to talk to him on the matter of evolution, and some 2 minutes of his chattering made him invalid for the rest of his life). You all did a great job no matter what you tryed to prove. You all succeeded. That's why you're humans.

And if someone didn't find here anything worth reading or he already knew everything as a given fact than he still got the assurance of his own right opinion (At least I have) and that's incouraging

i feel better after that for some reason.:p

Originally posted by Psydan

Lol, just wondering why humans haven't developed photosythetic cells yet, because that would be pretty nifty:).(This remark was purely in fun, I'm not requiring any proof about time and cell structure, etc. for this one.)

And while we're dreaming, I'd like a pair of Angel Wings, a suit of Tactical Dreadnought and a Rosarius Force Field Generator :D (joking, of course, though the wish-list is real enough).

1) I'm not bashing. ST takes care of that (:

Hmmm... I guess that you're the MOD... But that would be flaming in my book... Strictly speaking... I'm not bashing anyone, bashing=futile flaming. I tear their arguments apart, though...

I grow faint from rage when thinking of people's wonderful ability of simplifying things (reason 1 lower in the text) and how pathologicaly they use it to suppress their fears. We all now stand in the head of the World Revolution as never before in the human history, which has started so instantly and is not eager to stop at all. In these stressful times people turn to the only "salvation" left for them to hide in. Instead of thinking the best of themselves they try to adopt the feeling of religious powers which give them right to answer any question that our (unfortunately subjective) fabric of reality indow by just quoting a passage from the bible. One have to know the bigger part of the answer to ask a question (I don't remember who said that). They try not to even think of answers TO ASK QUESTIONS. HOW DUMB IS THAT!!! And the quote about god's deed is just a question to what "god" they are refering to.

I'll take that... You won't need it when the revolution comes!

You're right, though maybe this blanket dimissal of religion is better suited to the Bible thread or the Spread of Ignorance thread, both of which are located elsewhere on this board.

I've got another funny paragraph from WhiteRaider's link:

6 - SOLAR COLLAPSE—Research studies indicate that our sun is gradually shrinking at a steady rate of seconds of arc per century. At its rate of shrinkage, as little as 50,000 years ago the sun would have been so large that our oceans would boil. But in far less a time than 50,000 years, life here would have ceased to exist. Recent studies have disclosed that neither the size of the sun, nor our distance from it, could be much greater or smaller—for life to be sustained on our planet.

LOL. They assume linearity. Not even High School students do that.

Checking their alledged source;

"By analyzing data from Greenwich Observatory in the period 1836-1953, John A. Eddy [Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and High Altitude Observatory in Boulder] and Aram A. Boornazian [mathematician with S. Ross and Co. in Boston] have found evidence that the sun has been contracting about 0.1% per century during that time, corresponding to a shrinkage rate of about 5 feet per hour. And digging deep into historical records, Eddy has found 400-year-old eclipse observations that are consistent with such a shrinkage."— *"Sun is Shrinking," Physics Today, September 1979.

we see that they have made several fatal misunderstandings:

1) The data set is too small.

2) They are converting exponentiality to linearity. This is done by making an approximated 1st degree polynomium. Keyword "appoximated". The further you go from the point of approximation, the worse the approximation will get.

Typically for the site, though, they give no precise math, so it's near-impossible to see how they arrive at their conclusions. But the above is my best guess. It's a typical mistake made by Juniors.

In 1968 it was discovered that the sun is emitting hardly any neutrinos. This evidence points directly to a very youthful sun.

So somehow this crooked creationist site has managed to measure the otherwise incredibly elusive Neutrinos... I'm sure that the scientific world, that is still struggling to figure out how, would be delighted to hear of this. LOL. Thanks for giving me this excellent entertainment, Raider, though proof it'll never be.

• 1 month later...

On the subject of the Earths Magnetic Field:

Apparently it's switching over, so that north becomes south and south becomes north. It's been proven that this has happened before, because rock samples have shown fluctuation between being magnetically north and magnetically south, in the same area. So the field is in the process of switching now and should do so within the next 500 years, displacing yet another creationist 'argument'.

Most of the below is muchly theory, still needing definite proof but:

The field is kept going by Lava swishing in the earths core and causes energy and therefore creates the field.

This field was believed to have protected Planet Mars billions of years ago from Solar Dust. Mars' field disappeared however, for an unexplained reason as of yet. Life on mars suffered from the solar dust which eventually consumed the planet. That's why Mars died. And yes, it's now widely accepted among scientists there was once life on mars and oceans too. Maybe not intelligent life but simple life at any rate. Mars was not old when it died.

God, all this stars and planets stuff is so romantic!

Anyway, that's my two cents worth :)

Archived