Home

A Christian or a Hypocrite?

Luc Solar

A Chrstian, a Hypocrite or something in between??  

61 members have voted

1. 1. A Chrstian, a Hypocrite or something in between??

• A true Christian
    • A hypocrite
    • I'm not even pretending to be Christian
    • I believe in God, but not the one in the Bible. I walk my own path.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by MydnightPsion

Thats rather naive. Then again...I'm not a Christian...but its still naive.

naive???

trust me 16yrs of church going only convinced me of the utter hypocrisy of the church...

Besides once The christian fait confronts logic they are screwed...

Originally posted by Arrok

That's fine, so why did you?

The problem is that you do not even consider the possibility that you might be wrong.

If someone takes this stance, I can understand if nobody's interested in hearing their self-righteous views.

Of course, you could state ST has the same view on things, and I wouldn't flinch.

The question was asked as if these movie events were real, not if they were in context of movie. Your answer is therfore invalid. Though your right, God is the ultimate "Scriptwriter" and "GM". You were closer to the truth than you care to admit.

That was not the issue.

ST explained why he was able to suspend disbelief, and reassume it when the movie's over.

No, I merely suggested that one tale be too complex for us. That does not mean that the entire source is such.

But where to draw the line, and who's drawing it?

Who decides if the Genesis is a metaphor or not? Who decides what in the Bible is?

Again, the Genesis as presented in the Bible is false information. Until a few hundred years ago, people did not even begin to question its literal interpretation. As such, it has failed if it was meant as a guiding fairytale.

The adaptation is not one of tribal man vs modern man, it would be one made in consideration of the comprehensions of man vs. God. This does not make it any less valid today than it was then.

Yet now, we're able to comprehend how man was created. It's very much a question of now and then.

So your saying that if you were to tell a child that it's bad to hurt someone, because they do not know what it means to kill... that it's no longer valid to tell an adult the same thing. Is it no longer valid because they understand the more complex version now? I think not. The adult just has a greater understanding of the situation.

Yes, I'd consider it a very patronizing attitude, and assume he thought of me as a child, if one were to say that to me. Because I do understand what it means to kill. I've made my own thought about it, my own morals, and if someone comes up to me and automatically assume that I'm at the mental age of a child, then I'd get pissed.

Same with the evolution story.

No, I didn't understand the Danish saying. Feel free to explain if you like. My curiousity is peaked.

It's the same as the one that goes: Even a clock that has stopped working will still show the correct time twice a day. Did that help?

At any rate, it means even a hopelessly misguided and blind idea/person/belief can still be right about a few things once in a while.

Interestingly, at times you show much more flare of religious fanaticism than those of us who have faith.

Bingo.

Atheism's a belief too, though I'm sure ST won't say that he is one. But you are right.

Originally posted by Jah Warrior

christian = sucker

WOW! Thats not very nice. Can you back that up somewhere. What about Hinduism they believe in more crazy sh*t than Christians.

I feel as if people have some kind of beef with christians. Why not other religions?

Originally posted by Thrackan Solo

WOW! Thats not very nice. Can you back that up somewhere. What about Hinduism they believe in more crazy sh*t than Christians.

How come? I think the Hinduism belief is just as crazy as the Christian belief. Both teaches illogical and crazy stuff.

I feel as if people have some kind of beef with christians. Why not other religions?

Believe me: Islam is way more critizised than any other religion. Even though Christianity and Islam is very similar to each other.

How come? I think the Hinduism belief is just as crazy as the Christian belief. Both teaches illogical and crazy stuff.

Actually, it is much more logical than Hinduism.Christians dont believe in reincarnation.

BTW, Evolution is way more illogical than Christianity.

And I dont see any threads debating Muslim.

naive???

trust me 16yrs of church going only convinced me of the utter hypocrisy of the church...

Besides once The christian fait confronts logic they are screwed...

Logic sets the boundaries on our believes. Some things mentioned seem a tad far-fetched. But its the job of man to decide how we interpret what we see.

On a side note, earlier I think Darklighter said that he couldn't understand how we could worship the same God that ruled over people in the Middle East that were being killed. Well, to put it as the bible would say it, those people are not dying due to the hands of God, but rather the hands of man. God isn't deciding that its there time to go. Some soldier's assault rifle is.

On yet a different topic....I went to church Sunday and we discussed the difference between being Religious and being a Christian. When you hear of a religious person, they do things to please God. They try to live good lives so that God will accept them later on. Well, as human nature goes, these acts are usually not meant to please God and in the Bible it even says we will never be able to get to his level. The only way, is a belief in Jesus. He died so that we wouldn't have to struggle through good works to get to God. You could think of religion as "do" (as in do good deeds) and christianity as "done" (because Jesus did them for us).

Actually, it is much more logical than Hinduism.Christians dont believe in reincarnation.

Just that a prophet can return from the dead... a man can live in the belly of a whale... all the world's animals can fit on one boat (but only two of each species)... that a large body of water can be parted to allow a bunch of slaves to pass... that a demon can inhabit one's body... etc, etc.

Actually, the idea that one's soul or spirit may return to inhabit a cow is fairly mild in comparisson.

[bBTW, Evolution is way more illogical than Christianity. [/b]

So step over to the Evolution vs. Creation Myths/other scientific theories thread and prove it. ;)

[bAnd I dont see any threads debating Muslim. [/b]

The above thread encompasses "Islam" since it has its own set of creation theories".... I, too, would like to see creation ideas other than the Christian dogma discussed, however, it appears that this is the only cult represented here.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mandolorian54

Yes I am a christian.

I am a Baptist to be exact.

and I don't beleive you should be baptized as a child because you are supposed to be baptized as a public statment that you have faith and want to be a christian. When your a baby you don't have faith you dont even know you exist yet. How many of you remember being baptized? You only know your baptized because you were told.

I strongly believe in the doctrins of grace.

I am against abortion, infant baptism,and women preachers.

I don't believe in speaking in toungs, or a secret rapture. I believe in a very loud and public rapture.

Catholics,and Jehovah witnesses are not christians even though they call themselves christians.

And Christianity is not a religeon its a faith!

And duh you have to believe in the Bible to be a christian, thats like saying I don't believe in Christ but I'm a Christian. not believing in the Bible and still praying and stuff is like saying your an ian with no Christ on the begining.

I agree with everything Mandalorian said, except I'm a Presbyterian, so I got baptized as a baby. I'm glad that I'm not too religious though, because I would get on other peoples nerves. Otherwhize, I speak freely about it.

And Christianity is actually the best path...it's easy because God provides for your needs.

Originally posted by Luc Solar

Christianity differs from other major religions quite a bit.

When you walk around the streets you don't see anything religious. Go to Islamic or Hindu countries and you see the difference. There everything is controlled by religion: what you wear, where you can go and with whom, what you're allowed to do and when/with whom/where, what you can eat, what you can say etc. etc. etc.

I dont know if someone has mentioned this but I will:) . The thing about Hindu and Buddhist run countries where people have to dress and eat in the way the government and religion chooses. I would just like to say that here in America, we have a little statement in the decloration, that states, that we are seperated from church and state, meaning we can have the right to our own beliefs. Also I am a true christian:)

* Removed irrelevant part of Luc Solar's quote. Let's try to keep quoted text to a minimum rather than quote the whole post. -SkinWalker

Originally posted by Father Torque

I would just like to say that here in America, we have a little statement in the decloration, that states, that we are seperated from church and state, meaning we can have the right to our own beliefs. Also I am a true christian:)

Seperation of church and state?

"One Nation under God"?

"Introduction" to other biological theories? (namely, only Christian creationism - we wouldn't wanna teach the kids ancient viking creation mythos, would we?)

Real question: "True Christian"? Which of the Christian cults do you follow, and which of these get into Heaven? Only yours? Baptists, Mormons, Catholics and the Calvinists as well? Where does God draw the line in the sand?

It's interesting to note that the phrase, "one nation, under God, indivisible," doesn't appear until 1954 in our Pledge of Alliegance."

Similarly, the motto, "In God We Trust," doesn't appear on our money until 1956.

The original Founding Fathers, to whom I have immense reverence, made efforts to keep church and state separate. In fact, several of the Founding Fathers were agnostic and even atheist. Those that held religious convictions recognized the sanctity of being able to practice whatever religion you chose in private without fear of ridicule or state-sponsored retribution. By looking at original documents of the era, you will notice distinct separation of church and state.

The culprits to our current misconceptions that the United States was always "one nation" that trusted itself to god? President Eisenhower... he signed both bills, largely as a means for re-election ("I Like Ike"). He did this at the suggestion of Matthew R. Rothert, president of the Arkansas Numismatic Society. Senator McCarthy was just getting warmed up around the same time, so there was a lot of misjudgement going on in government.

I, for one, am ready to be rid of both exclusionary tactics.

Originally posted by C'jais

Seperation of church and state?

"One Nation under God"?

"Introduction" to other biological theories? (namely, only Christian creationism - we wouldn't wanna teach the kids ancient viking creation mythos, would we?)

Real question: "True Christian"? Which of the Christian cults do you follow, and which of these get into Heaven? Only yours? Baptists, Mormons, Catholics and the Calvinists as well? Where does God draw the line in the sand?

Well, I agree, America may have "One nation under God" and "In God we trust", but honestly, America itself is hypocrysy. Maybe the majority of Christians live in America, but America is so proud, and Christians should be humble.

And for the "real" question: I believe that only Calvinists and Baptists are true Christians, becasue John Calvin, who started the first Calvinists, is against the Catholics. And have you ever read all the stories about Catholic Priests who rape the altar boys?:rolleyes:

However, ther are some catholics who are true Christians also, not all are on the wrong path.

christian = sucker

Jah warrior, if i were a mod, I would throw you out and lock this site from you 4ever. what that is called is chat-killing and insulting someone else's belief. If you don't like christianity, then ignore it! You don't have to state your opinion in such a harsh way!! :mad:

...who cares what you think anyway? :p

Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

And for the "real" question: I believe that only Calvinists and Baptists are true Christians, .... And have you ever read all the stories about Catholic Priests who rape the altar boys?

However, ther are some catholics who are true Christians also, not all are on the wrong path.

This is somewhat confusing to me. If "only calvinists and baptists are true christians," then how can "some catholics" be as well? Is there a defining criteria from your perspective?

I only ask because I find the belief systems of others fascinating. I've met those of many denominations of the christian faith who don't consider the other denominations "true." I'm always interested in their defining criteria.

By the way, there are many instances where Baptist, and perhaps even Calvinist, officials have commented crimes. Some even involving pedaphilia.

Jah warrior, if i were a mod, I would throw you out and lock this site from you 4ever. what that is called is chat-killing and insulting someone else's belief. If you don't like christianity, then ignore it! You don't have to state your opinion in such a harsh way!!

While his post was a bit shorter than I would have liked, it was relevant and on-topic. The title of the thread is questioning true christianity over hypocrisy. His post, albeit in two words, indicated he believed hypocrisy was christianity's defining characteristic. I agree that it was insensitive, but only insulting from a limited perspective. Most christians, many are even my friends, are insulted at my views and beliefs, just as I am insulted at the assumptions that they make at times.

I must say, that most of my christian friends, some right here in this forum, make attempts to respect the sensitivities of non-christians. I do likewise, though it's also true that we both fail at this from time to time. I try not to hold it against them and I hope they do the same. It's hard to have serious discussions, where friends have differing opinions, and still not say things to irritate them.

Having said that, you have to understand that your comment about true christians is probably very offensive to some that are not Calvinist or Baptist.

...who cares what you think anyway? :p

You apparently did. Enough at least to give him four lines and a smiley. Jah's a good guy. He just tells it like he sees it. I can't say that I completely disagree with him on that point that you found offensive either.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally dont distinguish denominations. I'm a Methodist. But when people ask "Oh what religion are you?" I just respond "Christian". For some dumb reason people I know think being a Methodist means you aren't a Christian. I bet they're a lot of people who get this stuff everyday. "Oh your a Catholic? Thats too bad im a Christian." Stupid things like that are what separates Christians. Sometimes the only thing that differs between denominations is the name of the person that founded them.

As a true Christian, I respect all other religions as well as my own.

Archived