25 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best Bond?

• Sean Connery
    • I'm an idiot... Roger Moore
    • I'm legally retarded, so Timothy Dalton
    • I'm to stupid to live, and George Lazenby
    • Please beat me until I'm unconscious... Pierce Brosnan

From http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_304701.html

Sean Connery says he only got the role of James Bond because he was cheap.

Connery says Bond author Ian Fleming really wanted Cary Grant for the role in Dr No, but he would have cost too much money.

Had Cary Grant played James Bond, I might have been a bit more interested in this poll. Seeing that Dalton and Brosnan at least partly resembles Grant's style, I would have to go with one of them.

I voted for Sean Connery, of course.

Maybe the point is not even the actor, but also the other crew involved in the making. The Connery Bonds have Albert Broccoli, Ian Fleming and John Barry (the composer). Also the 'real' Q, M and Moneypenny. I still don't get it why she is so young in later Bonds.

Shuttsy, you misspelled "mispelled", too. Irony indeed.

I heard they planned to have Sean do a cameo as Bond's father in one film, but after they'd arranged it they remembered that Bond has no father according to the books. Whoops!

But you're right, having Sean as the bad guy would be great. Didn't he play the bad guy in a film similar to the Bond franchise a few years ago? Could be wrong - I usually am.

Meh, I'm probably wrong then. I just remember Connery playing a bad-guy in a movie I watched ages ago and probably got things mixed. ;)

yes. he was the bad guy in "the avengers" proabably the biggest pile of **** remake of an old series ive ever seen in my life.

ive just been reading the old bond books recently, they are hilarious.

**** the films!

im the best bond any way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been a massive Bond fan, but let's face it, James Bond is not a serious role. Now, Sean Connery, a great actor, did play the part well, but at times took it too seriously. Moore, not a great actor, probably not one at all with his eyebrows, in my view was the best Bond. He took the role not as a serious one, and adapted it after Connery left after the terrible film 'Diamonds are forever'. His films contain the best humour in the series, the best timing, and, because he does add MORE humour to the series, his films are very watchable.

I would be interested to know why people have nominated Connery in the majority. Is it because he is the original bond, because he is a good actor, because their dad says he is, or because they truly think that Connery was the best bond.

Don't get me started about the sort of humor Moore has brought to Bond! Why should Bond be humorous at all? Those are stories about a hero. He's a secret agent who constantly saves the world for crying out loud! You mustn't take the stories seriously, but the stories may take the main character seriously, if you get what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

That's how you see it. I see the films as ones that should be slightly humorous. Not like Austin Powers, but humorous. I think if Bond took itself too seriously, included no trademark humour, and was serious action scene after serious action scene, it would lose many fans, including myself.

Originally posted by Thrik

I heard they planned to have Sean do a cameo as Bond's father in one film, but after they'd arranged it they remembered that Bond has no father according to the books. Whoops!

But you're right, having Sean as the bad guy would be great. Didn't he play the bad guy in a film similar to the Bond franchise a few years ago? Could be wrong - I usually am.

Perhaps he could be.. both. Bond's father never really died. He just turned to... No, bad idea.

Archived