Home

Harry Potter -- 21st June

BooJaka

Eck...I abhor Harry Potter. It's a very avergae series of books, and there's no way it deserves all the attention it gets. There are many books more worthy of the accolades that Rowling's series receives. But I would say that; I'm a Pratchettarian.

the movies are entertaining....but so silly

oh and i didnt get this one bit from the 2nd movie...

that train on that hidden station platform that they accessed through that wall...that harry and weasely didnt get into you know? okay that hidden station platform where the train to hogworths leaves, that's another dimension or something? Or its secret at least. Then how the heck can they fly there with their car? They catch up with the train without ever have going through that portal? doesnt make sense to me :|

Yeah, I like the Harry Potter books and all, wasn't the fifth one supposed to come out around two or three years ago or something like that? And is Rowling trying to increase the book size by three hundred pages every time?

Anyway, I also found that part weird where they got to HOgwarts with the car. It's probably because Platform 9 3/4 doesn't take them to another dimension, but just to an obscure place only magic people know about. And nobody's ever found HOgwarts cause it's probably surrounded by some invisibility spell or something that only applies to Muggles, but it is still in the same dimension. And it's out in practically the middle of nowhere. That's my guess.

I like the Harry Potter books. Books and nothing more. Haven't seen the second movie (which is supposed to be better than the first), though.

I do agree that the books are not so special. When I read The Sorcerer's Stone I found it had many similarities to Ender's Game.

Originally posted by RemiO

What I find funny is that hating Harry Potter seems to be some kind of fashion statement now, especially seeing that most people that bash it hasn't even read the books.

It's the same thing with Star Wars, really. It's fashionable to not like the movies.

and Radiohead and everything else that's popular. If something is popular it doesn't mean the whole world is going to vigorously hump it.

I just think that Harry Potter is a very average book series and it doesn't deserve all the hype and acclaim it recieves. I'm not makine a fashion statement. I'm just stating my oppinion.

So eat cheese flavoured socks and die!

Some people just like to conform to non-conformity. I used to do that, until I realised that that was just stupid.

I read the first 3 books and didn't see anything particularly special about them. I really couldn't be arsed with the fourth :D.

I like to maintain my record that I have never watched a Star Wars movie all the way through yet, and I shall break my record when I go to see Episode III once it comes out :).

Amazon actually e-mailed me about this a few days ago, cos I signed up for a "tell me when Harry Potter 5 is out" thing. It turns out that if you pre-order it now you get it for half price, and its delivered on day of publishing. I have done this, 'cos Harry Potter books are ace.

I am also, like the Feral Chicken, a pratchetarian (well, discworldarian.) Different things entirely, so I can't compare them.

I've read the first book and I thought it was awful. And the movie wasn't very interesting either (I didn't watch the last 30 minutes).

Rowling is not a very good writer. I much more prefer Pratchett. Harry Potter is nothing more than a trite childish story.

I tried reading one of those Discworld books. Didn't care much for it.

Anyway, I'm guessing you guys are, oooh, somewhere between 15-19 years old? Seems to be the age-span where people are very opinionated about... well, everything really, but the Potter books and LoTR seems to be the two fashionable things to either violently like or dislike right now.

Edit after reading profiles: Well whaddayaknow, I was right about my age guess!

I dunno much about Harry Potter, I know my mum and my sister really enjoy them and I've seen both films. I thought the first was better because I was really confused by the second and didn't understand most of it until my mum explained it.

As for Remi's comment..

The LOTR books and films are extremely good, and there is very good reason to 'violently like' both; they are in no way 'just average' by any standards. Tolkien hasn't been 'fashionable' for the last 30 years, and the films won't really make it fashionable because his works appeal to a very small audience. I've been a great fan of Tolkien since I was 11, and I really haven't seen anyone become particularly obsessed with his works since the release of films. That said, most everyone that's the films say 'It's amazing! It's brilliant!', but that could possibly be because it is?

"his works appeal to a very small audience" - ummm, hello? The triology has been a constant best seller in most countries. The movies based on his works both made more than $300 million in the US. How does that turn out to be something that "appeal to a very small audience"?

'The Lord of the rings' is but an introduction to an introduction to his works. Yes, many people read through the lord of the rings, as that's a fairly easy read, but very few go on to read his deeper works, such as the the Silmarillon, or the Lost Tales, or Unfinished Tales, or other books in the History of Middle-Earth series. By 'his works' I mean his complete mythology, not just the Lord of the Rings, as that only hints at the bigger and more significant events in the world, only some of which are explained in part in the appendices.

And also, the films take a very liberal approach to the storyline, so to make the films appeal to a lot more people than the books, so there will be a great many people who enjoy the film and yet do not enjoy the books.

Originally posted by Oystein

I've read the first book and I thought it was awful. And the movie wasn't very interesting either (I didn't watch the last 30 minutes).

Rowling is not a very good writer. I much more prefer Pratchett. Harry Potter is nothing more than a trite childish story.

Although I'm not a massive fan of the books, I have read them all and will most proably read the fifth. I cannot see, how, having read the first book, you can say that Rowling is not a good writer. Her excellent use of figurative language helps even the least imaginitive of us to create a vivid picture of the characters and their surroundings. I do agree with you on your other points though. The film was terrible and I am not interested in seeing the second movie. The acting from the three central characters was nothing less than dire. I also much prefer Pratchett. And maybe Harry Potter is a childish story, but it's a well-written one.

Originally posted by RemiO

I tried reading one of those Discworld books. Didn't care much for it.

Anyway, I'm guessing you guys are, oooh, somewhere between 15-19 years old? Seems to be the age-span where people are very opinionated about... well, everything really, but the Potter books and LoTR seems to be the two fashionable things to either violently like or dislike right now.

Edit after reading profiles: Well whaddayaknow, I was right about my age guess!

It's not about what's fashion to do or not to do, it's about my personal opinion. I dislike Harry Potter because that's how I feel about it, not because it's fashion to do so. As for Tolkien, I've read "The Hobbit" and I also tried to start on LOTR, but I only read 130 pages. "The Hobbit" = fun and enjoyable, 130 pages of LOTR = tiresome landscape descriptions. I don't have any special opinion on Tolkien, I think I've read too little of his works to actually say something clever about him. So there you have it. I hope you'll now refrain from such generalizing in the future.

Archived