Home

Harry Potter -- 21st June

BooJaka

Yeah, the first movie sucked really bad. Their acting was completely terrible, and they lacked any knowledge of showing fake emotion.

However, I did see the second movie, and it was a lot better, it actually seemed like Harry could've been angry in a couple parts, unlike the first movie, where his anger was complete acting that nobody would ever believe was actual anger. The ending's a lot better too, which is weird because when I read the books, I liked the first ending better than the second one, but with the movies, i liked the second ending more the first one.

Fester- you should see the second one. The only annoying characters are Lockhart, Ron, Tom Riddle, and possibly Ginny. Other than that, it's not bad.

Oh,don't wory, Remi, I'm not just being an arse; I went through that phase ages ago. I finished the Discworld series this summer, and, being awkward as ever, I read Colour of Magic (the 1st book out of 27) last.

Oh, and Remi, which Discworld book did you read? I know some of them aren't exactly great, particularly Colour of Magic, Equal Rites, Hogfather, Jingo, and Carpe Jugulum. They're still average at worst, though.

I enjoyed Hogfather too, although I'm not especially fond of the Susan character. I also enjoyed Colour of Magic, but that's probably because it was the first Discworld book I read. I agree though, that Equal Rites isn't the best Terry has written. My favourite book so far, haven't read them all yet, is Soul Music or Guards! Guards!

I've heard only good things about Small Gods. Is it really that bad?

I got into Discworld only very recently, about 3 years ago. I loved the first two (Colour of Magic / Light Fantastic) with Rincewind, mostly 'cos I knew the character from the games. I have since bought many of the books, but haven't read through even half of them yet. They're just there, when I need them.

Harry Potter is also a new thing for me, I got the books last christmas, so I've had them just over a year. Say what you will, the books are well written and very enjoyable. This isn't just a fad, like the Teenage Mutant Turtles and Buzz Lightyear - these books will be read for years and years to come, maybe even turning up on GCSE english syllabuses.

As for Tolkien - I read the Hobbit when I was 7 or 8, after getting fed up of Enid Blyton stories. I then started on Lord of the Rings, but tuned out at the Council of Elrond. To be honest, the only reason I got that far is because I wanted to meet Gollum again. I decided to try it again about 6 months before the first movie came out, and I thouroughly enjoyed it.

I do like Science Fiction, though. I haven't read any Douglas Adams (shame on me) but I'm a huge Red Dwarf fan. The series of Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, Better than Life and Backwards is one of the best stories ever written, and I usually read through the whole three books at least once a year.

Harry Potter was in last years General Studies exam, which was quite fun.

I'm not a huge Potter fan, but the books are very enjoyable, and Rowling is an excellent writer. Harry Potter has no personality though, the books are a little samey, and the first movie wasn't worth the leg-cramp or the popcorn.

As for The Lord of the Rings - I don't rate it too highly. It's extremely descriptive, but there is such a thing as overkill in places. Still, this only makes it more enjoyable the second time round. As for the Silmarillion, well, that's basically just "The Bible". Meaning that it's boring as hell.

The movies, however, weren't all that great. The sheer look, direction, production and casting (The Fellowships characters were brilliant) was let down by a shoddy script and overacting, I thought - In the second one, anyway. I think I'm the only one who enjoyed the first one more - maybe because I wasn't developing deep vein thrombosis the last time I watched the 'Fellowship'. I though 'The Two Towers' got a little tedious towards the middle, and certain parts did annoy me (Such as Aragorn dreaming of Arwen - Was that really necessary? And Gollums character was all wrong) although it did revive itself with Helms Deep, which was fun. I hear there's a Counter-Strike map of it.

I enjoyed Rowlings work more than Pratchetts, even though the Discworld series is still definetely worth a go (Although from what I've read, it's been hit and miss). My current favourite is 'Sourcery', and I have a copy of 'Guards Guards' waiting to be opened. 'The Colour of Magic' and 'Equal Rites' were both dull.

I'm almost finished reading the "His Dark Materials" trilogy - supposedly a childs book, but that's probably only because it doesn't contain obscenities and smut. I recommend Mr Pullmans books to all, they are more 'Lord of the Rings' than they are 'Harry Potter', although any comparisons are stupid.

I've also read the Red Dwarf books, Lucastones, and have ordered the second series on DVD (Although it picks up at the third). The books were okay, but the TV series is better. I don't care about scientific inaccuracies, or people claiming it to be a rip off of "Hitchikers..." (Which is also brilliant, although I am yet to pick up the novel).

I'll stop typing now. My fingers are tired.

I'm actually really pleased at how well those Red Dwarf dvd's are being made. I have the first three series in a box-set on vhs, but they've been desecrated by the BBC digital labs in an aparant rip off of the THX re-mastering technique. They haven't actually re-mastered anything, they've just replaced the models with CGI and put the electric guitar version of the opening theme on instead of the brilliant old bassy one.

For that reason alone, I decided to purchase the first series again on the dvd, and the amount of extras and the quality of the overall package has convinced me that the other 2 series that I already own will be purchased again as well. The extras are actually different for each series, and the cast commentary is an absolute gem. Its at series four (the one where the ship suddenly becomes white instead of grey) where I'll be purchasing dvd's of episodes I don't already have on vhs, so hopefully that won't be too long before its released.

I know they've made the cover-art for the first three series on dvd, so I can only hope that the series 4-8 will be released. I know they exist, because they were all released in Japan at the same time to satisfy demand, but how long will the UK versions take to be released??

And of course, the movie. I wonder when that'll eventually start filming. Its been in pre-production for ages, and the official site isn't much help.

Yes, I agree, Red Dwarf has been giving excellent DVD treatment, although I generally hate commentary. Those little pop-up snippets of information, on the Back to the Future DVDs are better.

It's a shame that the Japanese get it before us though. Which is strange, because the UK gets all the American shows on DVD before the US - Futurama, Family Guy, Buffy - even Star Trek, I think.

Still, lets hope the BBC keep churning out quality DVDs - And Fox should keep making DVDs too. I'm addicted to them.

Archived