Home

My Country Is Going To Hell v2.0

Doubleplus GC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Well, this is an extremely belated response, but:

I could not bring myself to vote for Kerry. All those democrats who said "lesser of two evils, lesser of two evils, get Bush outta the White House," were'nt you there with me at the anti-bombing-the-crap-outta-Afghanistan rallies? Were't you the people who said that bombing a nation for the actions of a terrorist is ridiculous? Aren't you the ones that pointed out that our real interest in Afghanistan was laying an oil pipeline that was cheap and efficient and that the Afghani government didn't want ot approve? And didn't you get pissed when we left Afghanistan, thousands dead, oil pipeline in place, and no Bin Laden?

You read my post about my problems with killing. Kerry was no interested in seeming like a good liberal, since a good liberal will vote for Kerry no matter what. He had to seem like a better Republican than Bush. So: "I will go back into Afghanistan and kill Bin Laden." He staked his entire platform on beng a better soldier than Bush.

And all the logic in the world can't get me to elect a soldier. I'm sorry. But If I say that a vote for anyone other than Kerry means that I am responsible for everything Bush does, than I have to admit that a vote for Kerry makes me responsible for everything he does. Every life he would take in Afghanistan, that would be blood on my hands. This is democracy. AThe buck always stops with the people. He don't want to admit it; no Bush supporter would ever take responsibility for the 100,000 dead in Iraq. But someone has to take the responsibility, and we may be ignorant and greedy and pretty damn fat, but this is still democracy and it's still our country, damn it. The information is out there: if we are ignorant, it's because we don't want to look for it. If we don't know anything about Iraq, it's because we don't want to.

So I voted for Cobb. Do I know anything about Cobb? No. It was a vote for the Green Party, because California is a state locked for the blue team, and since my vote won't make a huge difference in a locked state, it can maybe do a little good for the Green Party, which makes me not responsible for anyone's state of deadness. And though I knew the Greens wouldn't get anywhere close to 5 percent this time, I still wanted to push them just that little bit closer.

God, they didn't even get 1%.

Well, peace and all that.

Once again: A locked state is the only viable venue for helping out a 3rd party platform.

My dad lives in Nebraska (voted Bush, 70-30). He is a democrat. Do you think his blue vote made a difference? if I were in a swing state, the decision this November would have been impossible to make. But I hide behind the fact that California will never go red in my lifetime.

My conscience is clean.

What are we going to do next time?

• 4 weeks later...

Think: someone in your life has died. People become alcoholics or drug addicts out of grief when someone close to them dies. I can't stand thinking of what would happen if my dad or my girlfriend or my sister or my roommate died tomorrow. My life would be completely different in a single moment. There would be a space so empty it would pull me away from everything else purely by it's gravity.

Ain't that the truth.

• 1 month later...

Archived