Home

Jedi Outcast 2!

RichyBoy

^ exactly.

I severely doubt it... It wouldn't be a sequel to JK2 if it was based round the movies, especially seeing as JK2 takes place a while after ROTJ.....

Let's not forget Jedi Knight Morgan Katarn was probably in the Clone Wars.... maybe we could play as him in a "prequel"!

I still think another Kyle game is most likely, but a Clone Wars era game would not surprise me in the least - and would make a welcome setting change IMO.

Also "It wouldn't be a sequel to JK2 if it was based round the movies"... the Clone Wars arc is set between Episode 2 and 3.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple more links to the story.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2909499,00.html

http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=1242003-71443

I'm almost willing to put my money on a completely new game now. The release date is sometime in 2004 meaning that Doom III should be out by then. I'd fully expect that the Doom III engine will be used.

All I know is that all my models will be ported over, and enhanced, complete with normal mapping, bump mapping, and all the other goodies I can squeeze in there :D

Prolly an expansion pack, if they're follow the same pattern as with Elite Force. Doesn't really make sense to write a whole new game.

Hopefully it will be released before 2004, but I am really hoping that it might mean that they'll release the SP code after the expansion pack is released....

We'll see.

I'm almost positive they wouldn't use the Doom III engine. Not only are they LucasArts and Activision, two of the most idiotic publishers ever, working with the Doom III engine takes much more time than traditional game engines, partly because making the textures takes five times as long now. I highly doubt they could get a decent game on that engine in one year.

I hope it's just an expansion, or that Activision guy had a serious comprehension problem.

Originally posted by Emon

I'm almost positive they wouldn't use the Doom III engine. Not only are they LucasArts and Activision, two of the most idiotic publishers ever, working with the Doom III engine takes much more time than traditional game engines, partly because making the textures takes five times as long now. I highly doubt they could get a decent game on that engine in one year.

I hope it's just an expansion, or that Activision guy had a serious comprehension problem.

Exactly. It's just not reasonable when you think about it. Activision's going to want to sell as many Doom III units as possible anyway, so why take away from its glory?

The conference call does not suggest that the JK2 sequal is a Doom III product, but they do suggest that several products are in the works based on it. But the two were mentioned in different contexts, so I'm willing to bet that they're not going to throw away a product they just finished to turn around rewrite it.

Maybe in 2005? ;)

I would love a sequel in 2005. 2004 is too soon, especially for the mod community. What about big projects like the DF mod? Sure, people will play it, but when you've got a sequel that comes out in no time, one of two things happens:

1. Everyone goes to the new game and the old game is overshadowed.

2. People stick to the old game because the new one is rushed and sucks.

Apart from release date related concerns, does anyone ever stop to wonder if perhaps the DooM III engine would actually be an appropriate choice for a new DF/JK game?

One of the strong points of both DF and JK was that they included truly wide open vistas (pre-Unreal), somehow I don't think Carmack's new tech works as well in an outdoor setting as in a claustrophobic indoor environment.

As I don't like JO's Q3 based look and 'feel', I hope that if a totally new game is in the works, it will use a proprietary engine.

As good as Doom 3 looks, I dont think it would suit this game style at all. I think the Unreal 2 engine which is different again from the UT2003 engine and better looking would be a better choice if this is to be a completely new title. If it is just an Add-on once again using the Q3 engine, I wont be too upset, perhaps maybe alittle disappointed, but I will still wait after this game with great anticipation.

If a new story line is to come about, I'm hoping they will perhaps look beyong the Imperial Remnant and hopefully into the war against the Yuuzhan Vong, with all the twitst and turns, political intrigue and backstabbing that has been occuring. Perhaps Kyle hooks up with Kyp and his "dozen or so" :) and they go on a mission to rescue hostages and Jedi being held by the Vong and find subtle hints at the deception and traitorous goings on in the senate....

But I guess we will have to wait and see, but I do hope they get away from the Imperial side of the story, it's been overdone way too much. Anyways, I'd just like to say hi again, this is my first post in a VERY long time. :) Glad to be back. :D

if raven is making the expansion/sequel it will be using an id engine, when have they ever not used an ID engine?

If someone else is making it for lec, I think the halo 2 engine would be the best engine for a star wars game.

Play as Morgan? He wasn't a Jedi. Never even used what latent Force abilities he possessed.

As for Rahn, sure he's a Jedi... but he was crap, Jerec crushed him easily despite his years of training. Kyle defeated Jerec one week after finding a lightsabre in a garage, because he's elite. JK's still Kyle's. :)

sorry, I don't state the obvious...they better add some karma type physics into it....even crappy obiwan let you force throw a box down stairs tumbling into a group of battle droids...

> Play as Morgan? He wasn't a Jedi. Never even used what latent Force abilities he possessed.

As far as we know... LucasArts have been know to employ "revisionist history" to get a storyline to work for them. Kyle Gave up his force powers too, for a while, and had to relearn them.

There's no reason why Morgan couldn't have been a jedi, who gave up his force powers later in life.

You can't rule things out just because current EU literature has told a slightly different story.

> As for Rahn, sure he's a Jedi... but he was crap, Jerec crushed him easily despite his years of training.

And as we've seen in MotS it's not beyone the realm of possibility for you to play as more than one character in a DF game.

All I know is that LEC is comitted to releasing a number of games set between Episodes 2 & 3, spanning the Clone Wars.

To me it would seem entirely possible that a JO Expansion could indeed be a "prequel" set during this time. Whether it would feature Morgan, Rahn etc is of course total speculation... but you can't totally discount the possibility.

Originally posted by jp-30:

There's no reason why Morgan couldn't have been a jedi, who gave up his force powers later in life. You can't rule things out just because current EU literature has told a slightly different story.

Slightly? Try "completely". Besides, people have been suggesting Morgan precisely because he's part of JK's canon. It's only fair to point out his PLACE in that canon, specifically, not a Jedi-shaped place. More a farmer/rebel shaped place.

And as we've seen in MotS it's not beyone the realm of possibility for you to play as more than one character in a DF game.

And MotS was good, in my opinion, there's no doubt of that. But I found it good because it developed Kyle's character well, even though you weren't playing AS him. Mara was at best, irrelevant and tedious as an addition in herself.

To me it would seem entirely possible that a JO Expansion could indeed be a "prequel" set during this time. Whether it would feature Morgan, Rahn etc is of course total speculation... but you can't totally discount the possibility.

I don't think anyone's been speculating, as much as suggesting. I don't think suggestions involving Rahn or Morgan have any particular merit, personally.

I certainly wouldn't wager a large sum of cash on the idea that Morgan and Rahn won't be playable in the next game, but that's because I know LEC does a lot of silly, silly things, all the time. ;)

Yes, I agree, not more Imperial stuff. I also think it would be good to do a sequal on a different engine. We need some change!!!

Please use the Unreal 2 engine! How bout the Lithtech engine?

Torque?

Mercury?

Saber3D?

ANYTHING BUT Q3!!!!!

:cool:

Archived