Home

Jedi Outcast 2!

RichyBoy

What I would like to see in any Jedi Outcast Expansion or Sequel, is:

1. In Multiplayer: Class-Based gameplay, similar to the "personalities" in Mysteries of the Sith.

2. In Multiplayer: The ability to create a character that is able to use both Light and Dark Force powers, as in Mysteries of the Sith.

3. In General: If a Sequel were being created and not an expansion, I would prefer that the Unreal engine be used.

4. In General: Joystick support that works correctly in both Single and Multiplayer - and I don't want to debate the merits of joystick -vs- mouse.

These are my most basic wants - but I could easily go on and on about other cool things I'd like to see.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets get our facts straight about the engine.

Doom ]I[ is being made by ID. Quake IV is being made by Raven. Quake IV is a heavily modified version of the Doom ]I[ engine made in the spirit of Q3A and UT2K3. Most likely this release will be a JKII expansion pack, and in 2005 a QIV based JKIII will be most likely be released.

To help you understand what each engine is meant for here is a equality chart

Doom ]I[=Unreal II

Quake IV=Unreal Tournament 2003

Quake III=Engine currently for making cheap games and or expansion packs

PS, I hope the game is so advanced that it completely demolishes my system and requires a minimum of 2.5 Ghz CPU and a NV30/R300 DX9 Vid card. And that it recommends a 3.0 Ghz CPU and a NV35/R350 vid card.

Originally posted by WickedBadMan

I would rather wait until 2006 for the Doom 3 engine, rather than get the crapola quake engine again. Can you imagine a saber duel that looked like a real saber duel (Physics + Graphics)? I'm kind of tired of the hack n' slash wanna be jedi crapola.

Do you realize how utterly impossible it will be to implement *true* saber combat in an fps?

I would rather have the original pc version of obi wan, not the edited down crap xbox version. I remember it was pretty much done, only mp sounded like it needed more work.

Just update the models and textures

Jolts, from what I understand, the so-called "glyph" system, in Obi-Wan for the PC, wasn't very practical. The user had to pause while the drew their little picture, essentially rendering them helpless while in the "artistic" phase of combat. And then one considers the justification for forcing someone to indicate a combat move with a more complex, time-consuming "glyph" drawing, rather than just pressing a keyboard key. I'm much happier with Jedi Outcast, than I would have been with Obi-Wan on the PC.

Jedi Knight had great SP. Mysteries of the Sith had great MP. The combination would be perfect for JK2 Expansion/JKIII. Just some things to change in MP and SP:

SP

1. Better story definitely with some creativity

2. Less Imperial involvement in story

3. No common Star Wars locales

4. More NPCs, more NPC interaction

5. Much more fast paced gameplay

6. Creative weapons, more of them too

7. Saber system where the majority of attacks are parried but a slash that hits a contender will kill

8. Balanced force powers where there is a TRUE EQUAL to every light and dark side force power

MP

1. Class system

2. Less game types, more invested effort in popular gametypes like FFA, Duel, CTF, Team FFA, and even an Objective based mode

or Kill the Fool with the Ysalarmi (don't know spelling)

3. MORE CTF MAPS

4. Less spam attacks. Forget the n00bs and pave way for the 1337 players

More later . . . can't think of much more.

For me it really depends on where they take the series. I'd really like to see a story that takes place around the new trilogy time period. As for a main charecter, I would either make up a Jedi we've never seen or heard of, or pick one of the established "minor" Jedi and give them a go with an origional story.

Multiplayer is always important to me, and I'd really enjoy to see some brand new game modes. Keep all the current JO game modes in the game, but add a Class Based mode (Jedi vs. Bounty Hunter) as well as a true Team Based multiplayer mode simmilar to the Saga game type that was discovered hidden in the MP code.

Oh, lastly, and most importantly, some more useful Dev tools :D

Originally posted by Emon

It certantly could be a sequel, it might be an expansion, or it could be another Star Wars game not related to the DF saga at all. All we know is that the media interperted it as a sequel.

If you listen to the conference call, they refer to it as "the sequel to Star Wars: Jedi Outcast," which is a quote from the discussion - not an interpretation.

So it's safe to say it's an expansion pack, or possibly a legitimate successor to JK2:JO, but I seriously doubt it...

OK well, for those of you who are saying its not possible for a game to be developed in a year or so. Well then your saying JK2 was not possible. Because JK2 took about a year and a few months to develope so anything is possible.

Personally, i think Lucasarts should reclaim the JEdi Knight series. Dark Forces 2 had a good engine, if Lucasarts were to just make a similar game engine with another game company, they could have a hit. Becuase JK2 had the lamest story i have ever played for a Star Wars game. When i first got it, it was soo awesome. But now when i look back i realize that the story was really bad. Furthermore, enough of kyle. Have kyle train an apprentice or something and play as the apprentice. Kyle is getting OLD. He is already like 40 or 50 years old in JK2. We need someone new and exciting.

Continuing....If lucasarts doesnt want to take the time and effort to create their own engine, at least choose a newer better engine then the current Quake 3 that JK2 uses. I would perfer to have the game pushed back till like 2004 and have it run on the Doom III engine or even the UT2k3 engine. UT2k3 engie is good because it supports BIG maps, unlike QUake 3 and most likly the Doom III engine. Plus with a little bit of tweaking, I am sure they could get the Ut2k3 engine to be even more powerfull then it was used originally, for example look at jk2. Raven modified a good portion of the code and improved the quality of the engine considerably. Anyways, I'm done! :)

\:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I think it took Raven 18 months with the Q3 engine (which Raven had a LOT of experience with). Expecting them to be able to switch to a unfamilar engine AND make new content in a little over a year is pushing it. Heck, if you check the JK2 code, you can tell that JK2 was rush job. :)

vag: true, but if they just removed the gylph system, stuck in jo's, that combined with its city sized levels, zoning of levels for halflife/halo type loading and ragdoll physics could be fun.

razor's right, jo was a sloppy glued together game.

Is it just me or do I see a coincidence in gaming engines in the public scene. JK2 was built on the Quake III engine. There is also the current alpha of the Doom III engine. The latest comp-slaving Unreal Tournament installment was released in 2003. The next Jedi Knight game will be the 3rd installment in the JK series. Is it just me or do I see a lot of threes?

I think that with all the "3"s in the news, LEC should run and bulid a 1337 JKIII Engine. Now the real Star Wars people are in control and can cater the game's features to what a worthy Star Wars FPS should be. What J3di Knight was . . . .

I don't even know how to code and I can tell it was a huge rush job, especially on the multiplayer aspects.

If it's really going to be a completely new game I'd really like to see what could be done with the UT2k3 engine. If they are going to go the custom engine route it's going to take alot more time

the reality is your going to get the same old rush job q3 engine game JO was. I hope next time they keep sp and mp seperated like unreal.

All I expect from raven is another 20 levels of nonsense puzzles, missaligned textures, bad ai, crappy sound, weak cutscenes, bad facial animation, dirty mocaps, and 2 year old gameplay with 1 or 2 new gimiks that fool the 12 year olds. Possibly some shiny water.

LEC should run and bulid a 1337 JKIII Engine

thats what i've been saying! a 1337 JKIII engine would rock!! hmmm they should just tweak the jk1 engine hehe, i think i'd rather then do that then build upon the JK2 engine. JK1 engine felt so much stronger, the jk2 one feels kinda week, i don't really know what i'm talking about, that sjust the feeling i get.

There are 2 things that I don't really want to see. I don;t want to see the Quake 3 engine again. There are just too many games using it. JK3 should be origional. And I don't think the Empire should be a main factor. I would love to see enimies other than Imperials, gangsters and droids. Thats all there is in the last DF games (with the exception of a few animal enimies like those annoying flying bug things in the Valley of the Jedi).

I haven't read anything from the expanded universe though. What other kinds of enimies could there be?

Why would a possible expansiion pack to a game use a completly new engine? Please answear me that.

as for that "advanced JK1 engine" thats impossible. The rendering technique in that engine was clever. But by today's standard it would be impossible to make it look as beautiful as say UT2003 or Doom3 and etc. The way that engine worked is cool. BIG HUGE MAPS with allmost no lag. However, if you tried tweaking it furthey i think it would just destroy the engine. It's been used to its maximum potential. Let it die off.

as for jk2 using Q3 engine. I dont care. Lots of great games use it. Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault (and its expansion pack Spreadhead) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Building an engine would take a LOT of time. If they made a new engine and it is for a JediKnight style game, then it would be a waste of money and time for LEC and Raven to create this new engine now. They COULD start creating a new engine, but not for this game in my opinion: For a newer, better, project.

Well, most of my issues with the Q3 engine, or Ravens implimentation of it has alot to do with the absolutely atrocious lighting. It completely washed out all of the colors, and ruined alot of the visual splender that the game should have had. (not to even mention how badly it fudged up all the nice textures on my models :()

If it's just an expansion then it'll be on the Q3 engine, but if it's a completely new title then I'd really like to see it on another established engine like the UT2k3 engine, or perhaps even the Doom III engine (yes, D3 runs like crap on lower end systems, but technology progresses, and the game is still a ways off) Crafting a new engine from scratch takes an incredibly long time, and IMO isn't really nessessary since the Dark Forces series, if done correctly, could easily attain the same "feel" with an established engine. I'm not really familiar enough with what LA did with Obi Wan so I can't really comment on that.

JO was/is still an incredibly fun game, dispite it's shortcomings. I just hope that the next version can raise the bar further

Archived