Home

My game keeps freezing, please help!

rach1636

Hello there, I am rachel, a new user. I have never posted a message here before, but I was searching the Internet for help with my gaming problem, and I found this board. You all seem like intelligent, helpful people, so I thought if I told you about this problem, you could tell me what to do.

I got a copy of Curse of Monkey Island about a year ago, and was thoroughly enjoying the game, right up until I completed all the puzzles in the first two parts, and boarded my ship to go find Elaine.

The screen where the three pirates and Guybrush are standing on the deck of the ship came up, but that was a far as it got. The mouse was still moving, the characters were dancing (I think they start singing in this scene?) but the game would not move on any further. I am just so frustrated, because I really want to play this game! :(

So if anyone knows why my game is doing this, or you have experienced something like this before, please let me know!

Thanks, Rachel!

First, you may want to take a look at LucasArts' support page for The Curse of Monkey Island: http://support.lucasarts.com/trg/tg.asp?id=26&x=115&y=12

There are some patches there, if I'm not mistaken.

After that, you may want to check to make sure that all of your hardware are DirectX-certified. You can typically do this by opening your Windows Explorer, going to the folder "C:\Progam Files\DirectX\Setup\", and double-clicking on the file named "DxDiag"; you should see some tabs with the various hardware you have on your computer, each tab will tell you if there are any problems with each driver.

If any hardware drivers do have problems, your best chance is probably to find the website of the manufacturer of that particular hardware, and seeing if they have the latest drivers for them.

also, when you say you got a copy of it about a year ago, does that mean a real copy, or a pirated copy? because if it's pirated, then you'll probably have the same problem my friend did when he had a pirated copy of the game as it froze in the exact same place.

also, have you downloaded the pirate song from a website and put it in your Curse of monkey island directory, because that can confuse the game. best thing to do, uninstall the game and then reinstall it. it should work fine after that.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I think it is a pirate copy as my cousin had the exact same problem with his Kazaa-'bought' version, and expected me to fix it. ¬¬

Your problem can be resolved by purchasing a retail copy of "The Curse of Monkey Island". It's $10 at Amazon.com and will be dispatched within 24 hours.

Archived