Home

Cel Mania

t.mahler

Great ones! I'm starting to consider that the new Sam&Max game being developed by the guys at LucasArts will be very good-looking if they decide to use cel-shading! Usually I don't like 3D adventure games (2D is cooler for them, I think), BUT after seeing those pictures I have to say that 3D is not too bad as I thought before. Good work!

Mahler: Please, Please, Please knock up a high-res version of purple tentacle this scene. It would look amazingly good on a t-shirt.

tentacle.jpg

Equally good is the scene on the front of the box where purple is running with the ray gun.

I'd love to see any of these in nice, high-res glory :)

Originally posted by Erwin_Br

I can't wait to see the Bernard model, I think we're in for a treat :)

You can´t wait? Well, I guess it´s not polite to let someone wait. Sneak Peak:

http://www.meetmetal.de.vu/nearlyfinished.jpg

Not quite finished yet, many things to tweak, but all in all as I wanted it to be.

So you're planning to do a total remake of DOTT in 3D?

--Erwin

Sorry, but that´d be insane! I mean, with 3d Cel Shadings it would not be that hard, but I´d need a bunch of VERY talented programmers, guys with Studio Max Experience, Storywriters and so on and so forth...

Originally posted by t.mahler

Sorry, but that´d be insane! I mean, with 3d Cel Shadings it would not be that hard, but I´d need a bunch of VERY talented programmers, guys with Studio Max Experience, Storywriters and so on and so forth...

Hmmm... Why don't you ask around the net?

I would just love it, if that ever should happen! :D

Good luck!

Originally posted by jannar85

Hmmm... Why don't you ask around the net?

I would just love it, if that ever should happen! :D

Good luck!

Well, I´ll send my results to Lucas Arts, when they´re completely finished. I guess hell would break loose if I manage it to convince LA to develop another Dott Game... ;-)

Keep you guys updated!

PS: Yes, Bernard will get a few thumbs. Two or so... ;-)

There's not much point in completely revamping Day of the Tentacle. I mean, the graphics still rival that of amateur adventure games, it has voice support, great music and it runs perfectly with ScummVM. Plus, it would be extremely difficult to animate the characters if they were cel-shaded.

If any Lucas-Adventure was to be revamped; it should be Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken or Indy & the Last Crusade.

Originally posted by scabb

There's not much point in completely revamping Day of the Tentacle. I mean, the graphics still rival that of amateur adventure games, it has voice support, great music and it runs perfectly with ScummVM.

I would hate to see a Dott Remake. You got me wrong, a new Maniac Mansion Title would be great, a remake would not make much sense.

Plus, it would be extremely difficult to animate the characters if they were cel-shaded.

Nonsense. It would be absolutely easy to animate Cel Shading characters. All I have to do, is to set up an animation rig. If this work is done, I can do just everything with the completed model!

If any Lucas-Adventure was to be revamped; it should be Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken or Indy & the Last Crusade. [/b]

I think, none of these games should get a remake. It just would not make any sense. Only Hardcore Lucas Arts Fans would buy such a title.

But a new title, absolutely new graphics with the same style and so on - That´d be great.

I would hate to see a Dott Remake. You got me wrong, a new Maniac Mansion Title would be great, a remake would not make much sense.[/b]

Yes, I know it wasn't you that suggested the remake, I was just commenting on why it would be foolish to remake it.

Nonsense. It would be absolutely easy to animate Cel Shading characters. All I have to do, is to set up an animation rig. If this work is done, I can do just everything with the completed model![/b]

Well, it would still be a pain to create models for every single character, whether or not the animation process was simple.

I think, none of these games should get a remake. It just would not make any sense. Only Hardcore Lucas Arts Fans would buy such a title.[/b]

I wouldn't be surprised to see the games being remade at some point; and I would love to play some remade version. Tierra have remade Kings Quest 1 & 2, added voices and some pretty good music, greatly improved interface and graphical quality (Much like Larry EGA to VGA) and, in Kings Quest 2, edited it quite a lot of it. They're currently working on Quest for Glory 2 and another 'secret' project, and they have done absolutely fantastical work on the first two Kings Quest titles.

http://www.meetmetal.de.vu/title.jpg

I´m working on a cute little homepage design right now.

Well, I updated the following things:

Bernards Ears, Nose, Glasses and Facial Shape is finally complete. His mouth is still missing, but´ll follow soon. Unfortunately, I had no time to work on his hands, but that should not be any problem.

Good news:

I just started to put Inverse Kinematics into Bernards Body, well, I hope it wont take to long, until I´m able to set up a cool animation. Actually, I´d just have to work on the animation rig.

I´ll keep you all updated.

PS: @Scabb: Well, you could discuss about what´d be harder: Modelling every character once, or drawing every character over and over again, to get high quality animations - Either way works, that´s for sure. Question is, would not the first method be easier for Fan Developers?

Sorry, if something´s left unclear, in Austria it´s 12pm and I´m terrible tired...

Edit: Hey, that´s cool. Above picture was just shwon in german television at GIGA Games (http://www.giga.de) - I´m getting famous, boo-yah! ;-)

http://www.meetmetal.de.vu/title.jpg

I just started to put Inverse Kinematics into Bernards Body, well, I hope it wont take to long, until I´m able to set up a cool animation. Actually, I´d just have to work on the animation rig.

One day, when I have some time I'll just have to experiment with that too. Why do days only have 24 hours? *sigh*

Anyway, is it difficult to start with Inverse Kinematics, bone modeling, etc. when your experience with 3D modeling is just a tiny bit above average?

--Erwin

Archived