Home

Spacemonkey's FAQ for Ubh

Psyk0Sith

This thread was created to help out UbH with his exporting questions

Originally posted by UbH

ok ok i am veary new to jedi modelling so my questions may seem dumb.

:root.xsi: dont worry i know what it is and where to find it just wanted to know if ya could tell me what parts i want to delete to make a good model template and what i want to delete to make a good skeleton template :)

question one

:detach' labeling correctly: so when detach the parts in the picture i have to rename it correctly huh???

:caps/capping: I know what the capping is for i just want to know how, cause the Editmesh-caps didnt work on all of them in fact make some meshes all wacked out so another question is,

:capping my way:I just do a editmesh-selectbyedge and highligh my hand lets say then while holding alt re-select the hand again but not the wrist line, inture leaving just the wrist line highlighted and then right click goto move and while holding shift move the wrist line up inturn streching a second wrist line; then i right click and goto scale while the second wrist line is highlighted and scale it down to a flat cap for the wrist. would that work too

:LOD: know what they are for but really do you make all your lod's? and if yes do you have to stay strick to spacemonkeys lod pollycount chart?

: parent/child: was understanding up till about here what is he talkin about useing the hierarchy tool to link parent?? and child?? stuff and he did not exsplane too well on how to link them

:UVW MAPPING: I know what its is but dont know how to use it like how would i unwrap it or even apply my maps, first time i played with uvw map was when i thought i was a cool modder for re-textureing the tom clancy game ghost recon char har har har just need a link to a good tutorial on uvw mapping.

besides that I can understand the rest of the tutorial on your site Psyk0Sith.

To UbH: in case you didnt read my reply in the WIP thread, could you please go back and delete your off topic post? thank you.

1.Here's what he means by detaching/renaming correctly:

The model is segmented in 9 basic body parts, what you need to do is detach the polygons to form one of those parts.

Take the hips for example, in sub-object mode, select the polygons roughly above the knees, next use the "detach" function and when prompted for a name, you call it "hips"

You have to do this for each part that will be cut off by the saber in-game. You can check kyle's xsi to see how the parts should be named...shouldnt be too hard to figure out.

2.Creating caps:

Here's how i create caps...In sub-object mode/edges, i select the open edges, obviously, then hold shift + the uniform scale tool, your edges wil extrude inwards, once extruded a few % i just select collapse. Once that's done, i select the faces that make the caps and hit detach and rename the cap.

3.Lods:

They are not necessary, but would make a lot of people happy...i havent done any yet, but i know how.

You can reduce the polys to your liking but, the whole point of doing this is to take the load off the cpu/video card, so his numbers make sense.

4.Parent/Child:

One of the final steps...i do this after the weighting is done. Very easy to do...the tool is called "select and link"...3rd icon on the main toolbar (right under tools, two boxes with a red chain in-between)

First you select the body parts that will be linked, let's take the left leg for example:

Select all of the related tags/meshes, in this case:

bolt_l_leg_calf

bolt_l_leg_cap_hips

bolt_l_leg_foot

l_leg_cap_hips_off

once they are selected, hit the "select and link tool" next press H, from the list select it's parent mesh...that would be hips and that's it.

That's the method i recommend, linking straight in the viewport can cause problems sometimes.

5.Uvw Mapping:

That's a rough part if you've never done it, i cant really help you right now, my tutorial on uvw mapping is not even started.

You should check http://www.polycount.com for some tuts.

Hope this helps...and please be careful where you post your questions...use the editing forum.

Hey man got a question.

when I use the assimilate program and I goto the add file and try to add the _humanoid.gla file it gives me an error

Model file missing: "w:/Game/base/models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla

continue recieving this message

so i click yes and it looks like it loads so I push the B button to buld it and I get another error

Model file missing: "w:/Game/base/models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla

continue recieving this message

and so once again I click yes and notepad pops up with this

Model: "_humanoid"

Sequence "_HUMANOID": ASE/XSI/GLA file not found: "w:/Game/base/models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla"

(1 faults)

what did i do wrong?

Typical error, all you have to do is click on "new" so you have nothing in there...

Once that's done go to >File then >Add files, select the

_humanoid.gla. Next time you click B, it should find the gla.

You have to do this every time you load assimilate, very annoying...

And make sure you created this dir tree to hold the files:

c:\base\models\players\_humanoid

Lucky for you i also encountered this error (well someone on this forum had this error message and i helped him fixed it)

Ok this is weird, i think it's when you imported a mesh into another scene but i am not sure.

Code 12 means there's an empty object, most likely a mesh...that has no skin modifier/weights assigned and carcass simply doesnt know what to do with it.

How to fix this...very simple, in 3D max, press H, at the top of the selection list you should see an empty space...double click on that. That's your "ghost" object, all you have to do is delete it and re-export your model.

That should solve the problem, unless code 12 is also used for something else.

Try that and let me know how it turns out...

well I know about the ghost's but none on gandalf but you know what i think it is.......me damn it lol; I think its cause i picked the gandolf model up from when i gave up last time, I must of not weighed or linked a mesh righ errr, oh well but hey since I cant get it would you like to help me with the gandalf model?? Just put both are names on it?? only has one lod hehe and i got all the UVW maping done check these images out.

http://www.geocities.com/ubhicest/gandalf.html

You mean the model wasnt weighted when you exported it? i thought you had that part done already! that would have been fast!.

Depends on what you need help with....(if it's weighting, i can answer your questions...but i wont do it for you.)

I already have my hands tied with Saesee Tiin and other stuff.

what? no I DID weigh the meshes and segment it and cap it and link it to the bones and stuff but what i am sayin is i must have messed something up trying to do it by myself and now that you have come along to help me, i must have just been building ontop of my errors from befor and now i dont know what could be wrong with it. oh well

well i think i found the bugger take a look

http://www.geocities.com/ubhicest/bugger.html

see how i have two pairs of l_arms; well thats not all, heres the list of whats in pairs.

r_arm

l_arm

r_leg

l_leg

l_arm_cap_l_hand_off

r_arm_cap_r_hand_off

l_hand

l_hand_wrist

r_hand

r_hand_wrist

head_eyes_mouth

hips

torso_cap_head_off

torso_cap_l_arm_off

torso_cap_r_arm_off

torso_collar

torso_l_shoulder

torso_l_shoulder

so you think just delete,

but befor we just go deleting the second pairs, look

http://www.geocities.com/ubhicest/r_arm.html

http://www.geocities.com/ubhicest/r_arm01.html

see how the second pair arm isnt even a arm errr so he's all mixed up [sigh]:(

Ok so it was in fact duplicate objects/unweighted or un-linked.

Pretty messy, hmm did you apply a reset xform modifier to get that kind of result?

I'm not sure if this will affect anything but i always name body parts without numbers (because i have only 1 LOD).

"l_arm" not "l_arm01" but it could also work like that.

Also i notice the character has got long sleeves...you dont need to keep kyle's arms under there, it just adds polys for a surface that will not be visible and most likely tear through the baggy sleeves. So you might want to delete those. Which means you'll most likely have to do some new caps and segment the sleeves and other body parts.

You better check your polycount, cuz if you want to keep all those meshes it could get pretty high. 3000 should be your budget for a JK2 model (Ki and Poof were 3059 and 3058).

yea i see what your sayin, that would be a stress on the videocard so i am taking my meshes and starting over cause that was a mess hahah oh and yea i didnt name the r_arm01 it named its self that hence the 01 stands for the second pair of r_arm and so on.

here are some new questions

why is it when i take the basic parts from the kyle root.xsi file and get it all setup with my meshes but when is comes to linking the stuff there is no mesh_root for me to link the stupidtriangle to, nor is their model_root for me to link the mesh_root too so what i have been doing is opeing up the kyle root.xsi back up and selecting everything but the mesh_root and the model_root then delete the rest and save selected once thats done I would open my gandolf back up and merge the mesh_root and the model_root and procide with the rest of the tut maby thats why its not working?

and also how would the assimilate prog know how to assign the carcass to my xsi file?? do i have to have it in the __humanoid folder cause i was to beleve that you saved your xsi in the players/yourownfolder dir you made?

About the model root/mesh root

Import Kyle's xsi, just select the body parts (meshes) and delete them, keep the tags! and bones/meshroot/model root.

All of the Tags/Bones and meshroot/model root objects will be left in the scene. When you are done, save that scene as a .max file.

The next step would be to weight the tags to their parent bone with full abs. Re-save to another scene. That way you are ready to start weighting with the complete skeleton structure and weighted tags.

Once the tags are weighted, merge your model's mesh into your "skeleton" scene (and only the meshes no other bones or tags.)

Before you do that, i suggest applying a reset xform modifier to some of your meshes that were mirrored...but it can always be fixed later.

If some objects were mirrored, they might appear inside out (flipped faces) when you check your glm.

and also how would the assimilate prog know how to assign the carcass to my xsi file?? do i have to have it in the __humanoid folder cause i was to beleve that you saved your xsi in the players/yourownfolder dir you made?

You have to save in the _humanoid dir or carcass/assimilate wont find the file, unless you edit your .car file. I always export to _humanoid anyway.

hey guys! i m sorry to disturb you in fixing your models but i got a problem too... when i want to use carcass.exe to export my models, the .xsi couldn t import cause"File contains 'Cubic' scale keys" !! what the hel does that mean??? ( y models are a robed and hooded sith master and a custom saber )...if you got the solution please answer me....thx

dont know <=GM=>QurakTorn :confused:

OK did it all over agin and did what you seaid so i am sure i did it right this time but..... I get this error when i compile it still, but I am shure its a simple error cause it tells you what it is, I just dont know how to fix it, have a look

http://www.geocities.com/ubhicest/path.html

see how its saying it needs a local path for the cloth2 well thats strange cause I set all my materials to my gandolf foldler and even put em in my _humanoid dir in case is was lookin their, both are on my c: drive not my f: so hum? maby you know whats up???

ps. diggin the new image man:D

...the .xsi couldn t import cause"File contains 'Cubic' scale keys" !! what the hel does that mean???

It means you have to set your windows regional settings to U.S. because of the metric system.

Change your keyboard to english U.S., make sure you reboot after you've done it (it might work without rebooting).

Ouais je sais, c'est bizarre, mais que veux tu, carcass n'aime pas voir des . au lieu des ,

Bonjour chez vous! :)

see how its saying it needs a local path for the cloth2 well thats strange cause I set all my materials to my gandolf foldler and even put em in my _humanoid dir in case is was lookin their, both are on my c: drive not my f: so hum? maby you know whats up???

That's a texture that is not applied from your c:\base\models\players\"your character" folder.

In 3D max, make sure all your textures are in the character's dir and apply from there or you wont be able to compile, or get missing shader errors.

I think my work is done here ;).

(Glad you like the new avatar! :D)

but i did point all my texture to my char folder on my c: drive that what i was saying about I set all my materials to my gandolf foldler, use the materials editor in max and pointed all my textures to my folder. anythang else it could be?

ps. how many points do you need for a new avatar?

Archived