Home

What's your Grim Fandango excuse?

Flood419

Your Excuse?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Your Excuse?

• HUGE LucasArts fan - bought it blindly.
    • I asked for more information from Curse of Monkey Island.
    • Web/Magazine Review.
    • Magazine advertisement.
    • Saw it on the shelves... It looked good... So I bought it... That's all.
    • Other (None of your business)

I picked up a PC Gamer, and just briefed back to the Review section, and saw GF, and it just kinda pulled me in.
(I'm not exactly quoting this i'm just typing this as a way to adress this to you). Don ahh yes such a strange guy misunderstood and lived only a couple hours in that game, dang i want manny's job! What a cool job, similar to a detectives yet more orthadox.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked interesting on the shelves, so I bought it. Started playing it...

Have been obsessing/re-obsessing ever since. :D

omg, and the first copy I owned included a limited edition CD case. And someone THREW IT IN THE BIN ACCIDENTALLY! :0 I had a heart attack.

Luckily I still had the limited edition original box and instruction manual, and I bought another one. But it didn't have a limited CD case; just white paper slips. ;-; Wah.

It was thin cardboard (alike to the original box). On the front it had a small version of the box cover. When you opened it there were two pockets on each side for Disc A and B. On the pockets was a print of the fresco aztec art that you see on the save and load screen (the nifty storyboard that shows your progress.. that thing). And on the back was a pic of... that Manny and Glottis bonewagon one, I think. Or a LucasArts symbol, I'm not sure. It's been so long since I saw it, can't really remember.

But it was so awesome. ; ;

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What made me buy this game? Now THERE's a story to tell! Bear with me, this is gonna be long.

So the game came out in 98 right. I was like 9 years old back then and i was new to gaming. I was with my cousin and we were going out hunting for bargain games (i was 9, how much money would you expect i had) when we came across a software pirate. He had hell of alota games in a basket for like just a few bucks a piece. We grabbed everything that had a good cover illustration on it and i came across the name Grim Fandango. I wanst attravted to it so i didnt buy it.

We were walking home with our goods quite satisfied but somehow i felt like i should have gotten Grim Fandango. I think its it's name... it just keeps ringing in my head... Grim Fandango, grim fandango...

A few years went. I started playing Monkey Island 3 which i absolutely loved! If any of you have ever played this game, you'd remember that there was a nice reference to GF. "Don't ask me about Grim Fandango". Grim fandango.. That rang a bell. And that Skull face looked so very familiar.

Through the following years i kept noticing that skullface pop up everywhere. It was as though it haunts me everywhere i go.

I gave in, I went online and tried to connect the dots and better understand

this game. It seems to have won some highly acclaimed awards and was very highly rated. I started to regret not having bought that game earlier.

I went scouraging looking everywhere for it. Its been so long since its release that no one sells it anymore. None of my friends had it, i couldnt find it online until...

I was window shopping wiht a friend and i saw ... a reflection on the mirror... i thought it was Casablanca.. but Humphrey bogart didnt have a skull face. That was it.. And ever since... This is My Fandango.

This post is best enjoyed while listening to http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/GRIM2-CD1/03%20-%20Mr.%20Frustration%20Man.mp3

Viva La Revolucion!!

What a nice story, Kald0rei! :)

Thank you. yea... i can never thank that manuel skull enough for haunting me, GF is the best game ever, Even better than Monkey Island series? YES.

Any of you who has a myspace, come leave a comment or suggestion. I'm doing a Memorial of Sanspoof week on my profile. Thnx

• 1 month later...

I just happend to wonder into my local game-aery (a place where games are sold and traded) on the day they recived the first shipmentof GrimFandango...

I saw the shop man puting them up on the shelves... I asked about it and he said he had no idea... i looked at the box and i was sold...

I got the first one on the shelf and it was the first one out the door...

and here i am...

• 8 months later...

I got it for a Christmas present when I was 8 and had no idea what it was! Lol! But now I'm glad I was given it cos it's an uber game and I've comleted it about 4 times now (I know that's probably a lot,lot less than most of you but meh, I'm about to play it again now anyway!). Just wondering, and I know this has nothing to do with what you're excuse is but, what is the shortest amount of time it take for you to play the game? It would be great if people would reply to this as I haven't had anyone reply to any of my comments! I'll shut up now.

• 1 month later...
It was thin cardboard (alike to the original box). On the front it had a small version of the box cover. When you opened it there were two pockets on each side for Disc A and B. On the pockets was a print of the fresco aztec art that you see on the save and load screen (the nifty storyboard that shows your progress.. that thing). And on the back was a pic of... that Manny and Glottis bonewagon one, I think. Or a LucasArts symbol, I'm not sure. It's been so long since I saw it, can't really remember.

But it was so awesome. ; ;

Isn't that the CD case for all the Grim Fandango editions? :) That's what mine came in anyway and it's completely battered now. But yes the pic on the back is the bonewagon one! :D

I found out about Grim Fandango because my older brother had borrowed it off a friend. I watched him play part of it and got it for myself when I was a little older and have been obSESSED with it ever since - that was 7 glorious years ago...

Archived