Home

What's your Grim Fandango excuse?

Flood419

Your Excuse?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Your Excuse?

• HUGE LucasArts fan - bought it blindly.
    • I asked for more information from Curse of Monkey Island.
    • Web/Magazine Review.
    • Magazine advertisement.
    • Saw it on the shelves... It looked good... So I bought it... That's all.
    • Other (None of your business)

Welcome, you two. :)

There was an edition released in a DVD case, and I think it was in fact an actual DVD too so you got one disc instead of two. I never had this version though, instead owning the launch cardboard thingy.

I played the demo long time ago, aswell the german version... but my point is..

I was just ONCE in London like 4 years ago, and then my dream came true. I saw a Grim fandango copy for 15 pounds :D I fall so in love with the original voice acting in the demo so I had to buy it.

It was packed in a dvd case but holding two cd game disc´s.

Nice blog btw Thrik.

long live Nintendo hoooooooo! :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I especially love the manual that came with it - the Greetings from Grim Fandango pic, for a start, and one other full page one of Manny saying something like "Meet Manny Calavera. He's sauve, he's debonaire...he's dead. And he's your travel agent" which I had printed onto a t-shirt in the height of my infatuation!

• 5 months later...

Umm... I actually sort of forget how I found out about this game although it only happened last year. I had ordered the Curse of Monkey Island from the LucasArts store and I was looking for some other games by them. Its sort of weird, I went onto Gamespot and looked at the CMI page and one of the first reviews had had a picture of skull, which I later figured out was Manny. The images name was Grim Fandango. So I searched that up and it got great reviews up and down. I looked into it, finished the demo, and..... well I knew then I HAD to own this game. First oppurtunity I bought it off eBay. Since then I haven't played a game that I've liked more.

What made me buy this game? Now THERE's a story to tell! Bear with me, this is gonna be long.

So the game came out in 98 right. I was like 9 years old back then and i was new to gaming. I was with my cousin and we were going out hunting for bargain games (i was 9, how much money would you expect i had) when we came across a software pirate. He had hell of alota games in a basket for like just a few bucks a piece. We grabbed everything that had a good cover illustration on it and i came across the name Grim Fandango. I wanst attravted to it so i didnt buy it.

We were walking home with our goods quite satisfied but somehow i felt like i should have gotten Grim Fandango. I think its it's name... it just keeps ringing in my head... Grim Fandango, grim fandango...

A few years went. I started playing Monkey Island 3 which i absolutely loved! If any of you have ever played this game, you'd remember that there was a nice reference to GF. "Don't ask me about Grim Fandango". Grim fandango.. That rang a bell. And that Skull face looked so very familiar.

Through the following years i kept noticing that skullface pop up everywhere. It was as though it haunts me everywhere i go.

I gave in, I went online and tried to connect the dots and better understand

this game. It seems to have won some highly acclaimed awards and was very highly rated. I started to regret not having bought that game earlier.

I went scouraging looking everywhere for it. Its been so long since its release that no one sells it anymore. None of my friends had it, i couldnt find it online until...

I was window shopping wiht a friend and i saw ... a reflection on the mirror... i thought it was Casablanca.. but Humphrey bogart didnt have a skull face. That was it.. And ever since... This is My Fandango.

This post is best enjoyed while listening to http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/GRIM2-CD1/03%20-%20Mr.%20Frustration%20Man.mp3

Viva La Revolucion!!

Heh, for some reason when I listen to that song and read your story I picture some random person smoking a cigarette and talking into a microphone in some jazz bar, like the Blue Casket. Weird...

i played the pc gamer demo about 200 times with my neighbor. And bought it for "my dad" as a christmas Present from electronics boutique. Which came free with Toonstruck i dont know how many people have heard of this but its a good old point and click adventure game

I fell in love with tim schaffers latest game psychonauts, after playing through it several times I researched some of his earlier work and GF came up. Im currently in school and a animation and special effects major and Im definetley going to be hitting up tim when im out, I recently discovered this game and Im only on the beginning of disc 2 so I cant post more till ive finished it! :)

Good to hear you decided to give it a go. It's a magnificent game, and I'm sure you'll want to talk about it once you've experienced the whole thing. You've got loads of gameplay ahead of you though and I'm sure you'll fall in love with the game even more as you go on. :)

Archived