Home

The MI2 ending

Remi

To each his own, I guess :p I don't think the fact that the anachronims happen to be there for a reason in any way detracts from them being funny. How is spraying a ghost with a bottle of root beer you picked up after falling through the roof of the machine suddenly less funny because there might be some overarching story going on?

it isn't less funny. it's more the fact that the grog machine was once just something funny that stood out because it wasn't meant to be there. now i know that it's actually a hint to the fact that guybrush is just a kid in an amusement park so it is slightly less funny, although note the slightly, as it is still funny, just not as much as it first was. but yes,, i guess your right, it doesn't take away much quality. i repeat, to each his own.

Who cares about Guybrush is a kid in the ending. The last scene showed is when Elaine waits for guybrush anyway so I don't think that the "guybrush beeing just a kid" -thing is just to be taken as the bitter truth. Those MI2 guys were probably just playing around and went out of ideas and din't mean very much with it. ;)

I have always liked the ending. I thought it was hinted at quite loudly all the way through-out both games. Yeah, I know it's just a game, and Guybrush is just a character, but hey what adult actually behaves this way? I always thought he was just childish and when I found out that he really was just a kid, then I just loved both games all the more.

I wouldn't ever change a thing accept to add in what had to be taken out due to space problems. I really wonder what was taken out.

I think I read once that meathook was going to send you on 3 trials, but they trimmed it down to just touching the parot, but what else? Some things do seem to be missing, but I just can't put my finger on it.

The ending was odd, but not intolerable. If nothing else, it really made me think "that surely can't be the end" and wonder about what happens next.

I always though the "next" game would start with you in control of Elaine, going down to Big Whoop, turning into a kid as well and trying to find Guybrish in a bizarre real world situation... sort of like Day Of The Tentacle real world, of course - possibly with switchable characters, in the DOTT vein.

Of course, this was LONG before I ever got to play DOTT, and in fact, possibly before it even existed.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the problem for me is, I'm a hopeless romantic. I've put in too much emotion into Guybrush and Elaine and Herman et al. for it to be a dream. I'm another one of those "Pirates of the Carribean" dreamer types, and it would be sorta cool to know that someone, somewhere out there is living the dream. But with Ron saying that Elaine should never fall in love with Guybrush, and Guybrush still being a complete screwup in CMI and EMI...Well, there go my dreams.

I suppose I woulda rather like Guybrush to grow up, to become that brave swashbuckler that he really wants to be, truly win Elaine's heart and the right to be called a true pirate, while still keeping that goofy carefree edge that makes him the Guybrush we all know and love. The Monkey Island may be a carefree comedy series, but someone I like to think Guybrush deserves a true, non-absurdist happy ending (om that note, I should get over my Intense dislike of the monkey duel game and defeat EMI already).

Man, Reading that article on the SCUMMBar is just depressing, though, cuz it makes too much sense. I'm still hanging on to the fact that Chuckie did that glowy eyes thing at the camera and Elaine waited for Guybrush at the edge to say that it wasn't/isn't a dream. It can't be a dream dammit. Guybrush and Elaine and Lechuck et al are real...They're real dangit...

actually guybrush was slightly too grown up in COMI,a nd then grew down considerably in efmi. in mi1 and 2, he was naive, and i really thinks that is the oerfect word for what he was then and what he wasn't in COMI and EFMI, but he should have eben. i still love COMI guybrush, and like EFMI guybrush (despite my complaints, i do love the game really), but i think they would have been ebtter in the MI1 and 2 style. and i'm not talking about graphics, or how he looked, just his character and personality was changed, but that can only be expected with the introduction to voices.

I think the ending in MI2 is superb. The whole idea with the guybrush being a kid is splendid. It is a work of a genius Ron, I'm having a hard time accepting that Grossman and Schafer also are involved in the masterpiece but that's just because I'm stupid :p

By the way I loved Mulholland Drive

Archived