Home

LMS / classes gametype

RenegadeOfPhunk

I've already posted this in another forum, but realised this is really the one it should be in...

I'm asking for beta testers if they want to gametest an early version of my new mod. A single, organised clan would be ideal. I could probably see this taking maybe 2 solid weekends of game-testing - this weekend and then the next after that. Any evenings inbetween that could be squeezed in too would be good.

This mod's first priority is to get combat sequences feeling like they could be taken straight out of the movies. See the list of features below to see how I've tried to achieve this...

At the moment, their is no objective stuff in yet - although that is FIRST priority for the next version. What I aim to do with this version is get the class balance as good as possible and then build on top of that. And the best way to get the classes balanced is to get the game out there and played.

Just to give you an idea of what the mod is all about and what gameplay features are included:

LMS (Last Man Standing)

-------------------

Games are broken up into rounds. If you die in a round, you spectate until the next round begins. (Well, most classes do anyway - see below...)

Classes

----------

Currently, there are 4 main classes:

* Jedi.

No weapon except lightsaber. Force powers have been tweaked in many ways to enhance game balance.

(I'm gonna wait for at least the first round of play-testing before I give out any more details on force powers...)

Saber throw is out. In it's place, the right mouse button is now used for Saber Defense. When held down, the Jedi takes on a defensive stance which increases his chances of defending both saber attacks and enemy fire. Also, if held down in the middle of a saber swing, the swing can be brought back to the ready position mid-swing. (i.e. if you spot an attack coming just after you've swung).

However, going into defensive mode means you can only move at walking pace, which means you have to use it tactically.

* Soldier.

Relatively weak health, weak armour and limited weapon selection, but have 3 extra re-spawns (reinforcements) per round. i.e. weak individually but strong in numbers.

* Mandalorian. (i.e. Boba and Jango Fett)

Full health and armour. Jetpack. (Now duel emmision). Bigger variety of weapons than other classes. More cool stuff will be added too. (Hopefully with the co-operation of other modders )

* Hero.

This class represents those characters who can, for example, run into the middle of a death star full of stormtroopers with no armour and average weapons and manage to come out of it alive!!

(Examples: Han, Leia, Lando etc.)

How do they do it? Who knows! Because their hero's!!

I won't reveal how I'm handling this class just yet, because out of the existing four, it's the most likely to need serious tweaking once play-testers has had some time using it. I'll wait till I'm sure it's gonna balance out correctly before I say more.

Other classes to come in later versions...

Teams

--------

Instead of a blue and red team, they are now 'Rebel' and 'Imperial'.

Models

---------

In team games, only appropiate models can be used in the appropiate team. (e.g. Stormtroopers on Imperial, Rebel soldiers on the Rebel team etc. etc.)

Also, only appropiate models can be used for the appropiate class (e.g. Stormtrooper = soldier. Luke = Jedi etc. etc.)

Other tweaks:

-------------------------

* For Jedi, if defense level is at 3, then a new saber style is unlocked from each basic attacking style you have access to. (So if you have both attack and defense at level 3, you have access to 3 new saber styles).

The new styles are less effective defensively, but more effective offensively. To be specific, attacking moves start at the middle of their swing rather than the start, so that the attacking move is much quicker.

The ready stance for these new styles is with the saber held above the head - similar to Anakin in the end saber-fight scene with Dooko in AOTC.

* Saber combat now has short - medium locks in normal combat (i.e. outside of duels, which are disabled in this mod.)

During a lock, as well as pushing the saber back and forth, the players themselves can get pushed back and forth too.

* Blaster fire travels fast.

* Saber defense against lightning (holding defense down)

* New blaster system

Blasters (the standard weapon in this mod) now has a seperate charge-clip seperate from the main ammo store. When firing, energy is drained from the charge-clip, which in turn is slowly re-charged from the main ammo store.

This is to achieve 2 things. First, to encourage less constant 'strafe-and-shoot' play, since if you keep your finger down on the fire button constantly, your going to run out of energy in your charge-clip. It is now more advisable to attack in bursts behind some cover and let your charge-clip recharge before engaging again.

This in turn creates more movie-like battle scenes. (You don't see characters in the movies using blasters that fire constantly like machine guns!! Usually the gunfire is much more singular and controlled)

*No pickable items

The only stuff you have to use is a set ordinance you are given at the beginning of each round, as determined by your class. (As I continue working on this mod, I plan to introduce character progression over rounds, but for now it's fixed ordinance)

..and their's a few other things too. But I don't wanna bore you with the details!

So - any clan leaders who can get a team together to gametest as soon as pos., please get in touch.

Email: renegadeofphunk@3dactionplanet.com

Thx,

Hmmm...

Well, so far - 0 offers for beta test!!

I'll try and get some screenies up over the weekend - maybe that will get people more interested...!

Again - a quick rundown:

(More details above)

* LMS (Last Man Standing)

* Classes (Jedi, Soldier, Mandalorian, Hero)

* New saber defense feature

* New saber styles

* Charge-clip for blasters (for more movie-like action)

* Proper Rebel / Imperial teams

* Proper models forced for both teams and classes

I'm almost ready to release. If nobody offers to help, then I guess I'll release it anyway. I've managed to do some small game testing with a few friends - and the balancing seems pretty good...

...oh yeah, and I've decided on a firm name for the mod:

Movie Battles

Thanks dude.

Any help is welcome. (Although I would still be very interested in talking to a clan leader...!)

I've finally managed to get the final bugs out. So my LMS system is now working pretty much flawlessly!!

Woohoo.

Must say, it's a lot of fun to play, even if I do say so myself!!

I'm gonna spend some time over the weekend polishing a couple of things up, and then I'll be ready to send it out to people...

Altus_Thrawn - you'll be first.

Darth_syrup, you'll be second. (I'm hoping he won't mind me 'incorporating' some of his cool Fett-features into mine once he's seen it...!)

:)

Yeap - I must admit I thought the very same thing just last night!!

The hero class is too weak - especially against Jedi...

I'll sort it.

The good news is I've managed to fix practically all the existing bugs. So I should have a brand new spankin' beta version ready this weekend.

I'll get the hero change in for that version...

Originally posted by arief_9

COOL!:D BTW does anyone know how to make the atst working for MP?

Ask this in the mapping forum. As far as I know, it can't be done wihout making a separate mod (which could have the potential to be really cool...)

Hmmm..

Well, looks like inserting images has been turned off. (Although I've seen images added to other posts... :confused: )

But anyway, here are some pics from my latest beta version...

The new scoreboard... (As you can see, it's me and a load of Bots!!)

NewScoreboard.JPG

The soldier class. (Note the 'Re-spawn' count in the top-left)

SoldierStart.JPG

The hero class.

StartHero.JPG

The Jedi class (in the ready position of the new saber stance - red)

StartJedi.JPG

The Mandalorian class (the force bar now represents jetpack fuel)

StartMandalorian.JPG

Another one of the new ready stance:

ReadyStanceYellow.JPG

And here's a picture of the 'short' locks that occur during normal non-duel combat (Sticky sabers...)

ShortLock.JPG

You can now throw stormtroopers and officers around, and kill them with one saber swipe - just like in the single player game!!

(But don't get TOO cocky. They'll soon be back - and in greater numbers!)

ThrowingOfficers.JPG

ThrowingStormies.JPG

Another general combat scene:

JedivMand.JPG

Beta testing is going well. Most issues are sorted now. (The only thing which really needs sorting now are the menus - as well as ongoing class balancing...)

Hopefully be ready for release by next weekend...

No - player stormtroopers (Soldier class).

Well, their bots I'm fighting in the actual screenshots, but real players will be just the same in principle. Although a lot harder in practice, since players won't just run into your saber like the bots do!!

Personally, I was actually expecting to not like playing the soldier class (I was planning it to be more of a n00b class really...), but it's actually pretty cool!!

As long as you stick with your group, you can do some decent damage. Plus, it's kinda funny being sabered and thrown all over the place!! lol

And, in all honesty, I am getting just as high scores with the soldier as I am with any of the other classes.

And also, your never waiting for the end of the round too long...

Archived