Home

age of the Old Republic

Carbon_sleeper

"I will not let this Republic which has stood for a thousand years be split apart....."--Palpatine; Episode 2.

This game is called Knights of the Old Republic, but its 4 thousand years before the movies.

What gives?

(I don't really mind. The game will rock, and I can't wait for it. Just felt like being one of those whiny types).

One "analogy" I just thought of is the jedi order and the "new jedi order."

It just means the organizations have been destroyed and have since rebuilt themselves. *shrugs* I'm not a SW universe expert by any stretch.......this is just a guess. :)

I've read several theories on this... of course, this is already a mistake, since Obi-Wan says that the Jedi Knights served the Republic for a thousand generations... and one year does not a generation make.

Now, I've heard of this fix, but I'm not sure wether it's the official or a fan fix. Apparently, the Republic had a complete overhaul after the devastation(sp?) that occured after the Battle of Ruusan which created the Valley of the Jedi, as chronicled in the comic series "Jedi vs. Sith". This pretty much led to the fact that a complete new Republic was completed, hence Palpatine was referring to this date.

Also, I'm not exactly sure, but Sio Bibble also mentions something like "There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic".... this fix also pretty much explains that line, because there already have been a few full-scale wars before, but no real battle after Ruusan.

BTW. Since we're posting links to timelines, here's my favorite(it's the best on there is, IMHO) : http://www.starwarz.com/timeline/

Generation = aprox. 30 years - If memory serves...

Good Trivial Pursuit question that one. I think it refers to the time that it takes for children to replace their parents or something. Though in biological terms it is the step up or down on a pedigree or punnet square or similar, so in that respect it could be any period of time whatsoever really, well the time it takes the species to reproduce anyway.

But in this instance I would stick with 30 years.

I would tend to agree with Hannibal.

Different governments/regimes rise and fall, punctuated with intermediate periods of lawlessness and strife, before one group or a coalition again retains the balance of power.

That's how it works on earth, I don't see why it should be any different on a larger scale.

Originally posted by Darth Damage

i too thought that a generation(in terms of years) is 100 years....

when speaking of people and generations...each person is their own generation

The reason I don't think a generation is 100 years is because if it was then me and my mom would be in the same generation(so would her mom for that matter).

Think about it like this in America Generation X(a couple of years ago) wasn't everyone from 24 to 124. :D I think a generation comes when children are born. When the Baby boomers had kids that was a new generation. When that generation has kids thats a new one too.

Man if you having kids at 100 I wanna know what your diet is. :)

i think the republic went into a new eara when darth bane took the sith order into hidding. that was 1000 years before the new trilogy. palpatine could have been refering to that. that the old republic is referd to two stages the republic during the era of the sith and after the sith order was belived to be extinct.

but this is just a teory.

Archived