Home

What's wrong with the trees?

C Shutt

I was just reading the thread lamenting the lack of interesting new threads on this board, and found myself inspired by bgbennyboy's call to arms. Unfortunately, as a result of years of recreational drug use, I haven't had an original idea since 1999. So instead, I thought I'd resurrect a thread from the old LucasFans forums. All of its previous incarnations were met with indifference and a quick death, but I'm quietly optimistic I'll have better luck next time.

This is a thread to discuss the communist themes in LucasArts adventure games. Here's an interesting line to get us started.

Sam: "What's wrong with the trees?"

Max: "Are they succumbing to outdated Marxist dogma?"

Moving right along...

Grim Fandango has a good deal of Communism in it. Salvador is a clear reference to Che Guevara. And there are the three commies in the Blue Casket and their book, which inspired Terry's speech.

But apart from Sam & Max and GF I can't think of any other LEC games where Communism pops up.

(That's someone's cue to prove me wrong. ;) )

I guess I can prove myself wrong. There are some Communist references in EMI. Father Rasputin keeps addressing Guybrush as tovarich (Russian for 'comrade'), and one of the chess players refers to a 'Khrushchev burial gambit' (Khrushchev succeeded Stalin, and once declared at the UN that 'we will bury you'--meaning that Communism would triumph over capitalism).

Originally posted by scabb

The Jedi are quite clearly a bunch of commies, and George Lucas is quite clearly an anarchist slash communist slash nazi.

Isn't George Lucas Jewish?

Also, I noticed the references in the games. But I don't think it's enough reason to blacklist Mr. Lucas.

I hope I didn't just shootdown this thread because it seemed very interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived