Home

Lucasarts goes to the movies!

wampa_one

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Like Calista Flockheart in the new Indy movie? I guess it was just a rumour... mmh...

Anyway, I still want a Monkey Island movie. With Robin Williams as Stan. And of course Bruce Campbell as Otis. Did I mention Dian Bachar ("Squeak" Scolari from "BASEketball") as Wally? No, I didn't...

But that wouldn't happen... so I'll just shut up...

I agree that Jim Carrey would make a good Stan, if done right.

I think Edward Norton would be good as Guybrush, although he may be a little too old.

norton.jpg

I don't really want to see a Monkey Island movie though, I'd rather see a Grim Fandango one, 3D, a little more adult orientated, and done by Pixar or ILM/LucasFilm.

Okay, here's my thoughts about a Monkey island movie characters:

Guybrush Threepwood - Dom Armato or Casper Van Dien

Elaine Marley - Denise Richards or Dina Meyer

LeChuck - (if CG'd it'd be Earl Boen's voice for sure)

LeChuck's Ghost Crew - ???

Fester Shinetop - Vin Diesel

Swordmaster - Halle Berry (she could master my sword anytime!)

Storekeeper - John Hurt

Stan - Robin Williams

Otis - Jason Lee

Fettucini Brothers - Martin Ferrero and Harry Shearer (who can forget Oscar?!)

Men Of Low Moral Fibre(pirates) - ???

Lookout - Patrick Stewart

Spiffy - Eddie The Dog(Frasier)

Meathook - Arnold Schwarzenegger (coz he's huge)

Captain Smirk - Charleton Heston (he looks very much like him) or Jake Busey (starship troopers/tomcats)

Cook - Drew Carey

Herman Toothrot - Sean Connery

Cannibals - (they'd prob be uncredited)

Various monkey's - (prob be CG'd, especially the three-headed)

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by scabb

Hey, nice likeness.

I always wandered how a Grim Fandango movie would work. I mean, it couldn't really be cartoony, as that wouldn't work at all. Life actors are a no-no. And I can't imagine how CGI Manny would look. Other than that, I think the game would work nicely as a film.

Calista Flockheart as Meche... (Sorry...had to say it...)

Ha! Good one.

But I have to disagree with that quote of scabb's; GF would be great as a cartoon as long as you could keep those glue-huffing Disney "animators" from getting their powdered hands on it - they'd remove every last mild expletive (hell, damn, motherfucker, etc.) every cigarette, every character death... and before you know it, our beloved story about the dark conspiracy rising from the seamy underbelly of the afterlife would be reduced to a 60 minute animated "epic" about skeletons who do nothing but pick flowers all day, belt out the occasional retarded song and talking incessantly about how deleriously happy they are.

He is great in his comedic role as the father in The Wild Thornberry's - he really makes that role his own. But in a Monkey Island film, Murray would either be anamatronic, or computer generated. Either way, the original voice actor (Denny Delk?) could return to the role.

I live action monkey island would most probably have a CG Murray (or animatronic) so the originally voice would do fine. Some people say that LeChuck would also be CG, but I think that the Ghost Pirate LeChuck is really just meant to be a ghost version of the Actor playing him (not Casper like), so I would like to see a good actor for that.

http://www.geocitites.com/mimovie has some good suggestions from various people (with no pics because I haven't put them up yet, but maybe soon).

As for Grim Fandango, I think it would be a good CG or even just animation, just as long as they keep the simplicity in the faces and the rich Mexican background.

I would also like to stand up for Disney (don't gut me!) in saying that until we see POTC, we can't actually judge how good they are at that sort of film. From the trailer, I think it's going to be okay so we can't doubt them that much.

Of course, I would like realism in this film which means it would have to be a lot less than "family oriented" which in Disney’s defence, is really what they want to achieve most of all, and so I don't think they could do Grim, but I don't think they'd farce it up as much as you said they would.

A Grim Fandango movie definately needs all it's adult elements intact. Everyone seems to agree on that. A 2D animated Grim Fandango movie would be pretty cool I guess. I'd rather see it as 3D though. I imagine it as a more accurate portrayal of the than the game is.

Here's a picture of manny's head I was making a long time ago but never got around to finishing, which is how I imagined a movie version would look:

http://www.geocities.com/heresstuff/manny-normal.JPG

Theirs would be better than this obviously, but that's kind of how I saw it. I was actually thinking of him as more of a real skeleton, I keep forgetting they're supposed to be those dolls (calaveras).

Pirates of the Caribbean looks like its gonna be brilliant, but all Disney are doing is supplying the license and paying for it. They stand to make a lot of money, and the film has now been given a subtitle: The Curse of the Black Pearl. This suggests that they could be wanting to make a whole series of Pirate movies. I think Gendo meant an in-house Disney movie, which would of course be aimed at kids.

True, Disney is just providing the licence and paying for it, but in the end, isn't all they have to do. plus they've done that to a tonne of movies that you don't know about, some even with adult stuff in it such as hardcore violence and swearing, but the only place you see their name as the financers and licensers is in the end credits and they don't make it widely known that they do this because they like to keep themselves as family filmmakers. this is the first of, I think, many films of this genre where they have made it widely known that they had some say in this, although I think they had no choice considered it's based (loosely) on one of their rides at Disneyworld.

I think that if they got the right people and the right frame of mind, they could make a Grim Fandango movie as well as anyone else. That put aside though, I would actually prefer it if Lucasfilm made it, as it is sort of in their ball park already.

Originally posted by Mentat88

Okay, here's my thoughts about a Monkey island movie characters:

Guybrush Threepwood - Dom Armato or Casper Van Dien

Elaine Marley - Denise Richards or Dina Meyer

LeChuck - (if CG'd it'd be Earl Boen's voice for sure)

LeChuck's Ghost Crew - ???

Fester Shinetop - Vin Diesel

Swordmaster - Halle Berry (she could master my sword anytime!)

Storekeeper - John Hurt

Stan - Robin Williams

Otis - Jason Lee

Fettucini Brothers - Martin Ferrero and Harry Shearer (who can forget Oscar?!)

Men Of Low Moral Fibre(pirates) - ???

Lookout - Patrick Stewart

Spiffy - Eddie The Dog(Frasier)

Meathook - Arnold Schwarzenegger (coz he's huge)

Captain Smirk - Charleton Heston (he looks very much like him) or Jake Busey (starship troopers/tomcats)

Cook - Drew Carey

Herman Toothrot - Sean Connery

Cannibals - (they'd prob be uncredited)

Various monkey's - (prob be CG'd, especially the three-headed)

That would be the most expensive peice of crap in the world.

I think matt damon should play guybrush because hes blonde

I know what you mean. Actors like Patrick Stewart could not be persuaded to play tiny and un-important parts like the lookout unless they had a personal interest in the project. I mean, if he was a huge fan of the game then maybe he would, but I doubt it. Similarly with Sean Connery as Herman, and Arnold Schwarzenegger only ever plays lead roles.

Adrian Brody?? Thats the worst idea I've ever heard. He looks nothing like guybrush! And he doesn't seem like the kind of actor who would do the role justice. Someone like Johnny Depp is perfect, except for the fact he doesn't look like guybrush.

Adrien could look like Guybrush. I'm serious! If he just dyed his hair. He would be great, maybe not his role, but still. And do they really have to look 100% like Guybrush. I mean, Angelina Jolie doesn't remind me at all of Lara Croft.

Archived