Home

Forcemod 2 Beta Feedback

Azymn

This thread is designed specifically for those people who have been selected to be a part of the closed ForceMod 2.0 beta. Outside commentary is welcome, but please try to stay focused on the topic.

Priorities on what would help me most:

1) Bugs - Try to be as detailed as possible in your report, including:

- What exactly happened

- Which class were you/your enemy

- Which powers were in effect at the time

- What weapon you were using

- When it happened (during jump/at spawn time....)

- If any ERROR messages were showing at the upper left corner of the screen.

2) Imbalances -

- Jedi/Sith/Mercs are too powerful/weak because

- Merc 1 is lame, i would only play them if...

- Bots are using power "x" too often/not enough

- Remember to look for things that happen over and over

3) Likes/Dislikes -

- I like "x" because...this would make it better

- I dislike "x" because....this would solve the problem

- This menu would be better if....

- Initially, I couldn't figure out how to do "x"...

Thanks for the help - i've only had a little time to work on the mod, and have had almost no time to play. This will really help out.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets kick this party off.

Anyway when I turn on Jedi Vs Merc (merc mod) I can't select my force powers If I'm a Jedi. If I put on normal Jedi vs Merc same problem...and my merc goodies arnt on (I know thats spose' to happen.) This happens everytime every map.

I love this mod tho..I think the regen of the merc battery should be faster. My flame thrower leaves the thing spent, then you die. Also when using the sheild battery thing its to slow to make an impact in battle. Maybe I just need to get better.

Are we gonna run an offical server?

Well anyway,

Thanks again Darth_Syrup

If anyone else has this same problem, please post. I don't have the problem here at home, so my only guesses are:

Make sure there aren't ANY other mods in the same folder. Very few mods are compatible, and ForceMod 2.0 should be all alone in the folder.

I won't be able to edit much until next week, because it's a very busy week in school right now. I'll try to post as much as possible.

And anyone is welcome to start up a server for it and publicize it. :)

BTW - the menus are incomplete, so take them with a grain of salt. Specifically, the "new force sides" cvar doesn't appear to be properly set in the menu (do it from the console at server time), and the "dual force user ratios" just plain isn't working (i forgot to remove it :S ).

I figured it out. I needed it on "Basic" then remove my fprce powers and switch to merc. Sorry about that. Anyway, I think I might have found a bug, I really don't want to crash my comp twice but what the hell. I'll go try it again.

Also to get my dual pistols working I had to turn on f_dualguns 2, but I was a merc with no force. 2 is spose' to be Jedi and merc can use. Any clue why it's like this?

Mark

Bugs

- Under the ForceMod menu and the submenu "Force Powers" the new forceranks and light/dark power settings don't affect the proper Cvars.

-Grapple is missing the grapple model, it shots a XYZ coord instead

-cf_singlestances only takes away purple, to my understanding it should take away both purple and green.

-a frozen player can be unfrozen if another player grips them

-womprat doesn't do anything

Suggestions

-Have a more deverse force mixing system

level 4 light powers and level 3 dark powers for example

-Level 4 saber attack needs a Cvar that can turn off the speed/dmg increase. So only level 4 attack will get you the extra stances.

-Level 4 speed needs a Cvar that will allow admins to toggle the normal run speed increase

More to come *smiles*

Great job! The absolute best mod so far. Soon, there won't be any need for an expansion.

Here are the bugs I found:

* couldn't add certain bots and crashed the game (custom ones)

* game crashed when second pistol was taken out (pistol worked fine at first)

* Level 4 Lightning and the flamethrower last about 1 second at most. The time should be lengthened IMO

* all of the models are shown now!!! great job! however, all the maps cannot be seen. is this fixable?

* dual jetpack thrusters are a bit too low

* grapple model is missing

* grapple cord comes out of foot. is there a possibility for it to come out of it's arm/hand or something?

* grapple cord is yellow

* i am not able to move when sniping even when cvar is turned on

* when second blade color is disabled and you turn on dual blades the colors overlap...very strange

Welcome Additions:

* Ledge grabbing

* blocking lightning and drain without absorb

* sticky sabers

Again, very nice job! First time I've played JK2 in a while. I think this got me hooked again! Thanks!

1) Bugs

Changing to dual pistols only effects me if it's the very first thing I do when the map loads. If I don't hit the hotkey it seems to work fine except on the odd occassion it crashes.

2) Imbalances

Every game I've played has been dominated by Merc bots. Jedi bots never rank highly. This seems to be because they don't block shots from dual pistol often enough and end up getting hit as they take swings.

3) Suggestions

Just a thought but it would be a nice touch to use the followinging classes for Merc. Scout, Soldier, Bounty Hunter. I can't remember if the 2nd one is or not but they were used in Mysteries of the Sith.

Force Grip - Mercs seem to be able to shoot you when you are gripping them. Perhaps a cvar to stop attacks when someone is gripped.

I like the cloaking feature. Really confused me when I first saw a bot using it.

first and foremost... i'm either blind or the game doesn't want to change to jedi vs merc... it always changes the cvar back to 0.

Originally posted by bliv

Changing to dual pistols only effects me if it's the very first thing I do when the map loads. If I don't hit the hotkey it seems to work fine except on the odd occassion it crashes.

when i was playing a moment ago it crashed, also... and the hotkey doesn't seem to want to turn on dual anything.

relating to the grapple... to improve upon it, i suggest having it so that by pressing jump have it reel in, and by pressing crouch have it unwind...

You, sir, are a king among men and it is my honor and privilege to be a beta tester. Sincerely, thank you!

First Impressions:

The menu system is wonderfully elegant (even if it's not complete) and great for those fearful of editing cfg files or using the console.

One feature I was greatly anticipating was jetpack support for bots. After installing ForceMod, I eagerly fired up the Kamino duel map (set to FFA) and spawned a bot of Jango from the Mandalorian model pack. Strangely, he first appeared with a saber, but after fiddling a bit with the Jedi vs. Merc settings, I got him to spawn properly with ranged weapons only. Unfortunately, I still never got him to use his jetpack. (Perhaps the bot routes have to be re-written?)

Undiscouraged, I decided to fight him anyway. The bot was vicious - I could barely get within ten feet of him before getting fragged. I pressed on through the falling rain and eventually brought some Jedi smack down on him (I was playing as Kit Fisto, with dual sabers). Jango respawned - still quite aggressive, killing me several more times before I get a chance to return the favor.

Then I noticed killing Jango became less and less challenging. As the matched progressed, our scores started to balance and beating him became easier and easier. And then he respawned completely passive.

He would run through his bot routes, picking up weapons, but completely ignored me - never once firing. I wacked him anyway, and that's when things really got weird. Jango respawned again, still passive, but could not be killed - in fact it was everything I could do just to get near him - he would run and turn to avoid me at all costs. But even when I hit him, he never died - never. And it didn't matter what I hit him with, sabers, blasters, grenades and rockets, even force pushing him over the edge... he was indestructible. Very very weird.

I figured something had gone screwy, so I rebooted my computer and started over. The exact same thing happened all over again.

I also experienced the same weirdness others have mentioned in trying to get dual pistols. Even with all force powers disabled, and my player character set to "Merc" the program didn't want to give me dual pistols. Eventually I did get it to work, but it's a mystery how I did it.

Requests/Suggestions:

Please consider removing the bot files from the scripts folder in the mod - it screwed up my bots big time (listing models I don't have & associating the wrong model with the wrong bot).

Release cg_thirdpersonrange from cheat protection. (Try playing with it set to a higher number than the default "80" - say around "350" - it's like a whole new game!)

Modify Tchouky's mod so that model scaling could be stored in custom model pk3s, just like saber color/scaling for bots. Keeping track of a lengthly cfg can be a little cumbersome and difficult for novice players.

Another mod, recently released, includes a great addition to the cvar mod_skillMode - players struck or shot in the leg(s) stumble and fall for a brief period. It's very immersive and lends even more realism to the game.

Extend FFA and Team FFA with a "last-man-standing" option of game play. Players get one life per-round and attempt to be the sole survivor(s).

Team games could be even more interesting if multiple teams could be implemented - imagine mercs vs jedi vs sith (would be great for clans too).

"Friendly" bots would be another welcome addition, or at least the option of "locking" bots to teams (currently bots are randomly reassigned to teams after a match completion).

Lastly, this probably won't make the short list, but I would greatly appreciate the option to be able to strip color from in-game text (such as chat and bot taunts). Unfortunately, using hardware anti-aliasing on my GeForce card causes color encoded text to tint the entire screen (same applies to color crosshairs) - green text tints my whole screen green, red tints the whole screen red, and so on. This is really a pain for black type (my whole screen goes black). I realize there probably isn't a lot of call for this, but if it's not too much trouble I'd be forever in your debt if you could implement it.

Thanks again Syrup for making a great game even better!

* couldn't add certain bots and crashed the game (custom ones)

* game crashed when second pistol was taken out (pistol worked fine at first)

* all of the models are shown now!!! great job! however, all the maps cannot be seen. is this fixable?

* grapple cord comes out of foot. is there a possibility for it to come out of it's arm/hand or something?

* grapple cord is yellow

* when second blade color is disabled and you turn on dual blades the colors overlap...very strange

- Bot crashes are likely due to my inclusion of custom botfiles in the scripts\ folder. Removing them should fix the problem, but you'll have to make the mercs on your own.

- You mean when you turned dual guns off?

- Exactly how many maps can you see? Will you count them?

- Foot? It should come out just below the chest.

- lol - that's my fault. I made it yellow so i could see it better :)

- I'll check it out...i think that problem was in the original Jedimod, b/c it happened to me too.

You're saying you won't get dual guns if you run around for awhile and pickup stuff before you activate them?

It crashes when you try to put dualguns away?

first and foremost... i'm either blind or the game doesn't want to change to jedi vs merc... it always changes the cvar back to 0.

when i was playing a moment ago it crashed, also... and the hotkey doesn't seem to want to turn on dual anything.

relating to the grapple... to improve upon it, i suggest having it so that by pressing jump have it reel in, and by pressing crouch have it unwind...

What gametype were you playing when it reset the jediVmerc? Did you change it from the server startup screen?

What caused the crash? Turning dualguns off?

The grapple will have functional reel and unwind later on....the code is in there but the grapple line length isn't saving all the time, so it doesn't work well.

And it didn't matter what I hit him with, sabers, blasters, grenades and rockets, even force pushing him over the edge... he was indestructible. Very very weird.

I had that problem because i had an old copy of forcemod in the same directory (lol - no wonder i keep warning everyone about not having two mods in the same directory) and it went away after i took it out. You'll want to remove any other mods, especially Jedimod or ForceMod v1 from the same directory. Hopefully that's the same thing - Did anyone else have this problem? Please post if so, and try to figure out when it happened (after changing to merc in menu/after setting cvar "x"...).

Jetpacks & Bots = setting f_botpack to 6 will give every bot a jetpack...Also, they don't turn them on unless you knock them off a ledge or push them up in the air, so as to save themselves.

Please consider removing the bot files from the scripts folder in the mod - it screwed up my bots big time (listing models I don't have & associating the wrong model with the wrong bot).

Good call. It's better that you each manually make mercs - look in \scripts\mercs.bot for examples how:

merc 3

makes an Artillery Merc, etc...

Turn f_supermerc to "0" to try out the different classes.

I hope this clears up some questions & concerns.

Know that i've recorded all of your bugs, imbalances and suggestions for consideration.

Darth_syrup, thanks for allowing me to test your excellent mod. At first glance, It is a great mod which I anticipate will fill all expectations. I haven't had that much time to test because I am in the middle of buying a house and moving. One problem I found is that I can not get the merc unique specialties working. It works as if they all have all the the new abilities (flamethrower, optic, ammo recharge, jetpack, and ects, are these attributes to be unique to different classes, espionage, artillery, and gunner? I do have f_supermerc 0 set. I can't use the f_snipemove 1, I can't move and mantain sniper zoom on, it clicks of when I move, even when set on espionage merc. The main setting is merc mod for these new merc features, is this correct? Thank You and I will continue to test.

On another note It would be a nice addition in the future if a merc could use a force pull effect with the grapple to grab and knock down an opponent. I don't know if this is possible, but is sure would look good. Maybe some graphic addition to force pull?

Well I double, even triple checked and no there weren't any other mods in my base directory.

I figured I'd have another go at it just in case it was a fluke, but it happened again.

After killing Jango a few times, he became passive and indestructable. So for the heck of it, I thought I'd try spawning an additional bot (Darth Maul).

Suddenly regained his love for fragging... the other bot that is. He fired away at Maul, killing him several times, yet still completely ignored me. Maul ignored us both.

BTW, I took the liberty of removing the jedi & merc bot scripts out of the mod and added the merc flag to Jango's bot file. He still spawns as a non "true merc" - very strange. Is there a console method to spawn a merc bot?

Thanks!

P.S. Being able to damage/destroy opponents weapons is very cool!

The main setting is merc mod for these new merc features, is this correct?

Correct. I'll check out the specialties, and the zoom code isn't working yet.

KaiaSowapit - set f_gunbreak to "0" and tell me if that invincibug still pops up. If you tagged the botfile right, I don't know why Jango wouldn't be a merc unless jediVmerc is only on 1 - it must be on 2 "MercMod" in order for the mercs to have their toys.

Originally posted by Azymn

What gametype were you playing when it reset the jediVmerc? Did you change it from the server startup screen?

What caused the crash? Turning dualguns off?

The grapple will have functional reel and unwind later on....the code is in there but the grapple line length isn't saving all the time, so it doesn't work well.

1. i was executing the cvar via the console and in the game types i tried (including team ffa) it said i would have to restart the game, which i did, then it changed back to default (0).

2. it was after numerous presses of the dualguns hotkey.

1. i was executing the cvar via the console and in the game types i tried (including team ffa) it said i would have to restart the game, which i did, then it changed back to default (0).

Bloomin weird....try setting it from the server startup screen - near the bottom in the middle. The menus shouldn't reset it ingame, but i'll go thru and doublecheck them. I think i put a message to print out in the upperleft corner of the screen when the server resets it in the code, so if you don't see that it must be something else.

Azymn, you were right, I was playing with JedivMerc set to 1 - changing it to 2 made the game recognize Jango as a "true" merc and yes, he indeed started playing with all the toys. (And I thought blocking a single blaster was tricky!) He even used the jetpack, least I think he did. It was hard to tell because there was no animation (smoke, exhaust flame), but he did seem to jump higher than normal and stay airborne longer than he should have.

I also tried your suggestion, setting f_gunbreak to 0, but I still got the same progression. Jango went from a) aggressive & mortal to b) passive & mortal to eventually c) passive and immortal.

Adding a second bot restored his aggressiveness, but only towards the other bot - he remained passive towards me (as did the second bot).

I decided to forgo playing with Jango for awhile and try fighting other jedi/sith. I reset the game with just Maul. He behaved normally.

I added Desann. He and Maul both behaved normally (kicked my butt alot).

So then I thought I'd try another bot, this time a Battledroid. I was pretty disheartened when he entered the scene brandishing a saber (I'd modified his bot file so that he should only use blasters).

I decided to try changing JedivMerc back to 1 - this seemed effective in keeping the Battledroid from using a saber, however then Desann started using a rocket launcher. Argh!

I gave up when Maul kept getting his saber stuck after every throw. It would just freeze mid-air for awhile, then randomly teleport to one of his last locations. Killing him seemed to be the only way to get his saber restored. Then two seconds after he respawned, he'd chuck it and the whole mess would start all over again.

On a different note, I didn't realize until I did a cvarlist that f_showgriphand and f_showshield changed to f_hidegriphand and f_hideshield. Regardless, I still can't get rid of that silly hand.

Also, in another match against Maul (after trying to get rid of griphand), he started spawning with a seeker drone. I understand this is supposed to be an option for saber-only bots/players, but I wasn't spawning with one and I'm set to saber-only myself. The weird thing is that it just started happening - it didn't seem to have a rhyme or reason to it and in previous matches Maul never spawned with a seeker.

Anyhow, good luck with school - I'll keep you posted on any new observations. :)

Jango went from a) aggressive & mortal to b) passive & mortal to eventually c) passive and immortal.

K, so it's a truemerc problem. Good to know.

Did you make the droid a merc?

Desann shouldn't get a rocket launcher if jediVmerc is 1. :S

Regardless, I still can't get rid of that silly hand.

I'm sorry, all the clientside cvars have been renamed cf_..., so setting cf_hidegriphand to 1 is what you want.

And i'm working on fixing that saberthrow bug....

Did you make the droid a merc?

Nope, he's the same ole bot I've used (with no problems) in JK vanilla, the previous version of ForceMod, and also *cough* OmniMod.

Desann shouldn't get a rocket launcher if jediVmerc is 1.

That's exactly what I found so disturbing - and neither should have the Battledroid had a saber (no force powers and a zero for saber specialist). Either something is acting goofy with Jedi vs Merc or I'm losing my mind. (It could be either really.) :p

I'm sorry, all the clientside cvars have been renamed cf_..., so setting cf_hidegriphand to 1 is what you want.

I tried that, honest injun! I pretty much tried everything including harsh language - still no beans. That silly hand haunts me! Oh wait a second... did you say "cf"? I was using just plain "f" - lemme try that...

Update:

I reset the cvars and started from ground zero. Yes! Success, success! That silly grip hand thinggie is gone!

Now for the match...

Back on Kamino, my brave Jedi faces down yet another Jengo challenge. Mode is set to Jedi Vs Merc #2 "True Merc."

Well Jengo lives up to that title... before I know it I'm being blasted by dual Webstar pistols, besieged by multiple turrets, fenced in by numerous force field barriers, and roasted by gauntlet flame throwing fu. Poor little Kit Fisto is having the snot beaten out of him. Very, very cool!

One chance encounter turns favorable though and with a well-timed force push Jengo is introduced to the Kamino sea... hehe... um wait, where'd that blaster shot come from?? Well I didn't see it, but I've got to assume that while I was running for cover, arrogantly waiting for Jengo to respawn, that sucker fired up his jetpack and avoided a multiple story fall into a watery grave. I don't know what had me more flustered - that I didn't kill that little snert or that I missed his miraculous recovery. Nevertheless I went back to dodging his shots.

When a second opportunity arose I force pushed the bejesus out of him - and waited just to make sure. Fortunately, he didn't bounce back this time... but he also didn't die. What became of Jengo remains a mystery. The best I can figure is he was somewhere beneath the platform, biding his time.

A sucker for punishment, I decided it was time to bring out Maul. He popped up, as always, dual-bladed saber ignited and ready to clobber me. He also had a handy dandy lil seeker for company. Argh, how come Darth Maul gets one and I don't? Waaaaaaaa! Kit shrugs it off and lays into him anyway. Seconds later he's hovering in a vice-like throat grip AND being blasted by that accursed little seeker. It's a tough life being a Jedi.

Once the seeker self destructs Kit puts up a valiant fight against Maul, but essentially it's a stand-off. Eager to retire, he taps out and I switch models to Master Yoda. Man oh man can that little green frog kick a**. It's not long before Maul is on the run (for the record however, Jengo is STILL #1 in victories at this point, even in his mysterious absence).

Yoda tires of slapping Maul around, so I decide it's time to spice things up again. I call out a Battledroid to join in on the fun.

Argh, then "it" happens. Roger spawns, not with blaster in hand, but rather a big red saber. He proceeds to switch between the saber and a Bowcaster depending on his mood. I figure it's prolly a good time to restart the match.

On restart, Jengo makes his return... but wait... oh no, that's not what I think it is? Now Jengo is sporting a big lightsaber of his own - a purple one even!

I'm suspicious that all of this may have something to do with Jedi Vs Merc being set to 2, so I plop down the console and switch it back to 1. Double argh, I have to restart the match again.

The good news is that after my restart, Jengo is back (though only sporting one Webstar) and the Battledroid is without anything resembling a saber. Maul is pretty much useless - stuck in the middle he's going down every other second like a sack of potatoes (Jengo & Roger are emotionally attached and teaming up on him). I pity the little sith apprentice and relieve him of duty... spawning up another Battledroid in his place.

Well now I'm getting hammered - even Yoda has his limitations - so I decide to go into Spectator mode and call out Master Bot Windu to fill my shoes. I figured he's gonna need a buddy, so I recall good 'ole Kit as his bot companion.

Hmm.. that's not Kit with a blaster, is it? Oh cr@p, yes it is. Where did he get that? Oh but wait, he's gone back to a saber... oh cr@p now Mace has a rocket launcher! Argggghh!

I'm stymied.

Strictly 100% FFA - no teams.

I just have some bots with emotional attachments, like Battledroids won't attack other Battledroids, Jengo won't attack Boba, etc..

I might just run a few more "bot only" matches to see if there's more consistency with their behavior.

On another note, any thoughts on why Maul kept spawning with a seeker?

BTW, where did you learn all this stuff? I've been looking around and haven't seen much reference or tutorials... did you just scour the source code to figure it all out? I'd love to take a crack at modding, but it all makes my head spin. :p

the only real bugs I found is that when you press the dual pistols button without having pistol as your weapon the game crashes everything else owns flamethrower could be a bit longer as well as cloaking and once you get the reel and unwind for the grappl and the actual graphics for it it will own too. So the only real bug is the dual pistols crashing one everything seemed real balanced to me I actually had a challenge as both a merc vs jedis and vice versa. Very promisbale mod cant wait for final release thx for letting me help beta! :D

Originally posted by Ronin_Medjai

the only real bugs I found is that when you press the dual pistols button without having pistol as your weapon the game crashes

i've only had dualguns working once... the other times (with pistol in hand or not) it crashed the game. oh and i found out why jedi vs merc wasn't enabling... saber only was on.

Archived