Home

Forcemod 2 Beta Feedback

Azymn

bliv, I appreciate your help... but I don't think you understand...

Picture this scenario:

Three bots...

1. Jedi, saber only (Mace Windu)

2. Merc (Jango Fett)

3. Trooper (BattleDroid)

I'd like all three in the same game.

If I turn off Merc cvars, Jango is a wuss.

If I leave them on, Battledroid carries a saber.

That's the problem.

I don't want a Merc or Jedi Battledroid. I want Merc & Jedi features for some bots, just not all.

Can you dig it? :)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see any possible way to get the battletrooper thing sorted.

I can only suggest that Azymn adds another class to the Mercs. How about 'Field Trooper' or 'Grunt' etc. With the only weapons available being Blaster Pistol and Blaster Rifle or something. Just while I'm on the point of classes maybe a Sniper class should be added with emphasis on cloaking and ammo regeneration.

And one final thing. Remove the map limit thingy like you did with the model images. It's really annoying to have a limit.

I'll try to hit as many replies as i can before i head up to take a test (i'm in school, that's where i've been)

mariners2001 - I'll check out the scope code, but the grapple isn't finished (the little bugger, i've put it off to get other stuff up and runnin...).

Wamprat013 - Which Tck menu are you using? How do you exit from it?

And with crouching backslash - do you crouch, press back, and hit attack and it doesn't work? If you make Merc binds separate from the equivalent forcepowers, you CAN'T use the same key for both, you'd have to have 5 more separate keys for each merc power. The way it is now, you can have cloak and mindtrick on the same key, which is the most economical.

AOTJ_Craig - That xyz line is a remnant of a lack of model for the anchored hook. I'll check out the lightsaber graphics - i threw them together really quick and just shrunk the thin core from the base tck_saber jpgs.

KaiaSowapit - Han Solo and Jango Fett are the only two *.bot files in beta 2, put there for reference :) To make your battledroids, you can set f_powerbots to 0 - that should get rid of their lightsabers & forcepowers.

Azymn, how bout adding a flag for bots that aren't Jedi or Mercs? Either that or add a seriously watered-down merc class... say blasters only?

I'll add a trooper class to the next build so you can have basic stormtroopers in the future.

i dont think there should be a lightsaber and guns jedi. in jedi v merc mode u should have to chose one or the other

[\quote]

I'll be setting it up so that "Saber Only" servers will force all jedi to use sabers exclusively.

do we still need/use the assets_forceMod.pk3?

I think so....i added the files to both just in case, but for some reason the menus don't seem to display the new force levels (Sith Apprentice, Sith Lord, etc...) unless they're in the base directory. You could remove it and see.

Remove the map limit thingy like you did with the model images. It's really annoying to have a limit.

I'll take a look.

I think the following:

1. Have the mercs be able to jump a little higher, so they can at least get up a 2-foot wall. (even I can jump even higher, like 3-feet in the air)

2. Fix the grapple's look when it is attached to something, and have it pull you straight towords your target, not drag you on the ground until you jump, ect.

3. Mercs need some way, other than the jetpack, to get the jedi away from them. Add like a simple 1-button push that does like a kick or add a force power that stuns, or blinds the jedi for like 6 seconds so he/she can get away.

There you have it.

I haven t spent much time playing this mod but the time i spent i thought it was much improved. Out of curiousity i was wondering if Azymn could include a more of a fett class and try making some of the weapons like in Bounty Hunter for PS2. Such as poison darts, id scanning system, gaunylet whipcord, and instead of stunner have them use fists as last resort. :jango:

:jango: Well now lets see...Alright now i diddnt look but im sure everyone else has told you about these bugs but i dont know so...Ok first of all the grapple hook has the multi color thing going on wich is weird and i also thought the grapple wire should be either black or white not blue it just looks too messed up. This sux! I cant attach a pic! Well... I guess everyone knows about the mutil color grapple anyway so there is no reason to attach it. Also whats up with the sabers? The thin blade is WAY WAY WAY too big and the wide pretty much covers the whole blade! I also downloaded the cartwheel and when i have 2 blasters and try cart wheeling it screws up :( I dont know what it is but when i cartwheel it starts out fine but at the end when i stand back up again i stay with my waist twisted and my guns in the air (like i just stoped cartwheeling but even if i walk around i am still like it!) and the only way to get rid of it is (as far as i know) jumping off something high and falling to the ground. And another thing is i was wondering if there was any way to make a rocket firing jetpack and i dont think it would be hard to make either like when you switch to it you would knee down and put your head against your chest then when you fire it would just send a rocket from you back. Well anyway i think this is a VERY good mod for playing as merc's but NOT as jedi if i will play as a jedi then i will use the first forcemod mainly cuz of the saber blades. So 8/10 (thats good considering the bugs such as the grapple, saber, and the cartwheel) :fett:

I also downloaded the cartwheel

"The cartwheel"? Well, whoever made the cartwheel didn't expect anyone but jedi with lightsabers to use it (Raven didn't expect people with guns to do flips and the like), which could be the problem...

yeah...the main thing that bugs me is the width of the blades. i like the option for wide, normal, and thin but it's still too wide.

Good to know, but interesting...out of the 3 saber blade thickness, the normal one is the same exact file from ForceMod 1 & JediMod (which is one Tchouky modified for his mod). I took out one line of code at Tchouky's suggestion because he said it would make them look just like the originals, but i guess not, eh? :)

The thin one is the normal normal blade shrunk down, and the wide ones are the "perfect ep2 sabers" by StarWars from jk2files.com.

There will be at least 5 types of blades in the final release, including Exar Kun blades. I was going by what was most downloaded at jk2files.com.

If you have any other requests/preferences, lemme know.

Well then the "perfect EP2 saber" maker made the core too big cuz its almost like the whole saber is just made of the core and nothing else. Anyway i just thought of something...If someone could make a lightsaber coloring thing (TCK saber mod or something) then why cant someone make something that you can choose your lightsaber core with the color (i am not talking about how you have it where its just thin normal or wide i am talking about diffining the size of your core so it can be whatever size you want) Well anyway it was just a thought and i know it most likly wont be possible but maybe it is i dunno. Also what do you think about the rocket firing jetpack? Would that be possible? I mean common if you can make 2 blasters and whoever it was that made the two sabers and all the other amazing things couldnt it be possible it make those things?

excelent!

-in some cases, when i used the ammo regen, its consumed batteries as normal. but when i used again, dont eats battery, it just was stopped in regeneration. I was wielding the dual balster and jetpack on the two times

- its possible to CARRY more than a sentry?

- mercs may have some way to confront an flying lightsaber, i think

(maybe turns off the lightsaber when you shoot it)

- how to use the grapple!!!!!?????:atat::fett:

Lots is being done and Im getting more excited by the minuet

Whats the ETA on a public "release"

If I keep watching all the resonses I could almost Imagine Myself playing even though ive never seen it

ONE thing. in beta 1 how the heck do you become a merc?

darthmaul_541 - All those things are possible, but i'm not planning on adding any more new features so we can release this mod in the near future. :) Perhaps a later edition.

-in some cases, when i used the ammo regen, its consumed batteries as normal. but when i used again, dont eats battery, it just was stopped in regeneration. I was wielding the dual balster and jetpack on the two times

Were you full of ammo? It should only stop if you've maxed out your ammo supply. Lemme know if this is not the case.

- its possible to CARRY more than a sentry?

No.

- mercs may have some way to confront an flying lightsaber, i think

(maybe turns off the lightsaber when you shoot it)

I'll try to find some way to balance this, as it's the most powerful weapon against mercs. Does everyone else agree that saberThrow is too strong?

- how to use the grapple!!!!!?????

Look in the menus under controls->forcemod and bind it to a key, and make sure in the main forcemod menu that your class can use it.

Oh.....bliv and KaiaSowapit - try making the droids merc 4 right now....it just might have the effect you want in making them basic droids without having to set f_powerbots to 0.

Is there a way to select the flamethrower as a weapon? The screens had it but I can't figure how to do it.

When you model the grapple, what are you going to model it after? Jango's grapple would be good.

I know you don't want to put in new features now, but if you make a later version a jetpack missle would be great. It would aslo be cool if you could make lightning come out of two hands :lightning , if that's posible.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You know how you can select thin, standard, or thick blades. Could you make it so we could download different kinds of blades (flame, super, Jk1, etc.) and be able to select them like that?

Out of curiousity i was wondering if Azymn could include a more of a fett class and try making some of the weapons like in Bounty Hunter for PS2. Such as poison darts, id scanning system, gaunylet whipcord, and instead of stunner have them use fists as last resort. :jango: ?

First, in responce to Syrup, it's the new Tck mod I am using, that came with beta 2, it gets overruled by the standard saber color. If it do it from the main menu, the Tck sabers notice dosn't appear in place of the standard color menu, and if I set my tck sabers to green and blue, and the standard one is red, my sabers are red.

Next, it's not that saber throw is too strong, it's that mercs are more defenceless than jedi. Jedi have a Really good passive way of defence, their saber, and the only way of penetrateing it is like a rocket or hitting them in back, etc. Mercs should have somthing like this to defray their use of shield regen, becuase its just kinda slow. I suggest a Merc gaget thats somthing like the shield gun from Unreal Tournament 2003, it projcts a shield in front of you (that you can aim w/ crosshairs) for as long as your battery holds up, or until you let off the key. It should be large enough to protect your torso and head, but not too big. You should be able to aim it in any direction around you, up, down, left, and right, like you aim lightning or flamethrower. The problem is that Lucas arts designed the game so lightsaber would be best weapon by far, I am just trying to get the mercs a good fighting chance aganst powerful jedi. See the balance really is based upon if your have the force rank set low or high. "One with the force" is Really fun but mercs have a slim chance aganst a bunch of good players with Yoda-level powers. Another reason the shield is good is rapid fire weapons like the repeater or the Blast rifle shoot a spread of shots that are hard to dodge especially with a Jango bot or sombody with good aim, the jedi ned not worry too much about this becuase of their saber defence, all they have to do is use their lightsaber specialty, and aim at the person, and their saber defence blocks all that punishment, the Merc shield should be about 5 secconds to drain a whole battery, long enough for a merc to run away, that way a merc dosn't have to be taking damage all the time and rechargeing. Mabie if you would replace the current shield wall pickup with the merc tool sheild it would be more balanced? I am just trying to make my point. Mabie you only give this gaget to heavy mercs? I think it will be a good addition to the game, balanceing not only Jedi v Merc combat, but Merc v Merc combat.

Finally, can you make the view in the optic goggles a little less dark? So you can see the terrain a little better; and estimate where wour target is, even if you dont know the map well. It would also help to know if they were behind a wall or not. Right now there just a little too dark to be very practical.

Once the grappleing hook is completely finished, the other merc gagets are optimized, the mercs should be able to hold their own aganst even the most powerful jedi.

(This is a long post, mabie I ramble too much? Anyway, I think the current title is good: "Force Mod II: The Mercs Strike Back". It's poetic and has a major Starwars Tie-in.)

:jango: Yea i agree with wamprat the mercs are WAY too defensless and i mean common they do have alot of amour but whenever someone is shooting at me and i run away they still have a good lock on me and even when i am flying they still shoot at me and my life drains like hell. I think the mercs shields should be alot bigger and last longer cuz they do have amour and lots pretty much covering thier whole body. Well anyway i need to go and watch LOTR:The fellowship of the ring exstended DVD with my bro so ttyl :fett:

Posted by me earlier:

Originally posted by Mace_Windu21

I think the following:

1. Have the mercs be able to jump a little higher, so they can at least get up a 2-foot wall. (even I can jump even higher, like 3-feet in the air)

2. Fix the grapple's look when it is attached to something, and have it pull you straight towords your target, not drag you on the ground until you jump, ect.

3. Mercs need some way, other than the jetpack, to get the jedi away from them. Add like a simple 1-button push that does like a kick or add a force power that stuns, or blinds the jedi for like 6 seconds so he/she can get away.

There you have it.

I still think those are good suggestions, but I also noticed that when you lock on to someone with the rocket launcher and fire, it never locks, it just fires straight. I also think you should be able to use the original saber colors, when you choose you thickness, you can turn that off, and use the standard ones.

Does everyone else agree that saberThrow is too strong?

Personally I've never been a fan of saber throw. I think it's more a gimmick than anything - a cheap move. There's perhaps one brief moment in either ROTJ or ESB where Vader does something kinda like it, but not quite what we have in the game. That said, if you removed it from the mod, I'm sure there would be more people upset than when you made Yoda accurate in height. (How's that for irony? :p)

What if every time a saber was thrown it fell to the ground and deactivated after it collided with something or reached the apex of its flight - with a couple seconds delay (f_saberdroptime) before the Sith/Jedi could recall the hilt? In other words, take out the "boomerang" effect. Also, what about removing the ability to "steer" a thrown saber? I think players would be less likely to abuse saber throw if changes like these were made. But if nothing else, you could simply boost the drain on the Force meter.

Wamprat, although the feature you describe from Unreal Tournament 2003 sounds cool, it ain't Star Wars. :)

3. Mercs need some way, other than the jetpack, to get the jedi away from them.

You can grapple, fly, run & cloak... honestly isn't that enough already? Mercs still have one huge advantage over sabers - ranged attack. Exploit it. Don't let the Jedi get near you. Don't stand still in one place.

I believe Mercs played appropriately are quite formidable, especially given all the goodies thrown in. I think they're hardly defenseless, but that's just my opinion.

This is blasphemy, but I'll dare mentioning one feature I like from OmniMod (ugh, OmniMod)...

Realism. Yeah nobody ever uses it, but it's really cool and goes a long way to improve game balance. Basically the old cvar from JediMod was revamped. This is from the readme.txt:

- skillmode changes

mod_skillmode 1 -- locational gun damage, Shield negates locational bonuses.

mod_skillmode 2 -- locational gun damage, with target falling if hit in leg. Shield negates locational bonuses.

- Realism Mode with Skillmode 1 or 2

mod_realism 1 -- instant death if hit in torso, head or back. Shield negates this to normal damage. Guns Only.

mod_realism 2 -- same as #1, with sabers doing the same.

mod_realism 3 -- same as #2, except shields dont stop sabers.

Essentially, one well-placed blaster shot to the noggin will take down a Jedi (or anyone for that matter), which is how I think it should be. Sabers are lethal, guns are lethal. It really raises the stakes of combat. Blindly rushing opponents is foolhardy - forcing players to use tactics. This, to me, makes more sense in relatively small battles among 8-16 players online.

Lastly, Force powers. I have a radical suggestion... drop the point system. In its place, allow players to choose 1-3 "primary" Force power(s) and several "secondary" ones from an in-game menu. For example:

Jedi Joe joins a server that allows him to pick 2 "primary" powers. He decides he wants to excel at Force Lightning and Force Grip. He is now a master of both. He also gets to choose 3 "secondary" powers. Joe goes with Force Jump, Saber Attack and Saber Throw. He's capable of using those powers, but by no means as proficient at them as his primary ones.

Just an idea to simplify the game and add a little more balance. :)

Archived