Home

The Ring...

ShockV1.89

The Ring, The Ring, the goddamn friggin Ring!!! Arrrrgh!

I just rented this movie on DVD. Saw it in the theatre a while back, scared the tar outta me. So of course, I'm stupid and rent it.

Anyway, I decide to zip to the scene where the girl opens the door and Samara rushes out of the TV, but you dont see Samara. The camera just rushes at the girls face, there's that awful screeching sound, and then static. Well, I slowed down the part where the camera rushes her face until the very last frame i the shot. You know, where you see her face start to change, but it's a quick shot so you dont get a good look. Man, what a stupid move. My room was pitch black, and seeing that awful face staring out of the dark at me.... I can see why they didnt want you looking at it for too long. Now I cant sleep, damnit! Arrrrgh!

Anyone else scared of this movie? It's really very well done, it's just that the corpses scare the crap outta me! I turn away every time they come on now!

Originally posted by -s/<itzo-

yeah i pissed on my pants watching it.

the scariest part was when they showed the girl in the closet.

YES. I got kinda bored with the rest but that scene almost made me turn my pants into the cream filled variety. :indif:

I've only seen the original (japanese) version of it.

Very, very scary sh*t. You can feeeel the evil in that damned videotape.

And the sound!! Arrrrgh! To hell with those bloody drums!

Seriously, the eerie music and sound effects were almost a movie in their own right.

[rant] Why do 'Mericans always have to 'Mericanize perfectly good, foreign movies? It makes no sense. Is it because it's really, really, brainmelting hard to read subtitles? Grrrrrz.

Maybe because we like it our way. Didnt really hurt anybody to "americanize" it. Actually, it wasnt terribly american, it was very different from any other American scary movie out there. Most of them follow the line of Scream or Friday the 13th. The Ring was quite groundbreaking as well, both in terms of storyline, as well as directing and the different techniques (at least, groundbreaking in American flicks).

And subtitles suck. I dont go into a movie to read. Thats why silent flicks went out a long time ago.

Originally posted by ShockV1.89

Maybe because we like it our way. Didnt really hurt anybody to "americanize" it. Actually, it wasnt terribly american, it was very different from any other American scary movie out there. Most of them follow the line of Scream or Friday the 13th. The Ring was quite groundbreaking as well, both in terms of storyline, as well as directing and the different techniques (at least, groundbreaking in American flicks).

I know, and that's my point.

Why was it necessary to make an American version of that movie - a translated version that had almost the exact same storyline and characters (as far as I've heard). I mean, they just cloned the movie and made big bucks on it. They ripped the plot and sold it as something Hollywood had thought up.

And subtitles suck. I dont go into a movie to read. Thats why silent flicks went out a long time ago.

I must admit, you're really missing out if you're of that opinion. It's not only America that's capable of making good movies, y'know ;)

BTW, I read subtitles so fast now that by the time I've finished reading them, they haven't even started on saying their lines.

I'm having a feeling that seeing movies with subtitles could somehow improve children's level of literacy.

I read a lot of discussion on this on a ring orientated site, and the general opinion is that the remake has lost a lot that was in the original japanese version, I have to agree.

The original was a masterpiece of horror, it dug into your psyche and took you along with it, the remake was less psychologically chilling. As a film on its own ,it is a good scary film, but compared to the original it pales slightly.

One thing which i cannot abide that they changed :

SPOLIERS*******************************************

In the Original, the cursed video featured imagery which we later find to be clues to lead you to find out who sadako (samara in the remake) was, and what happened to her, now these were clues that could have led anyone to have figured out what happened. In the remake, the clues were all specifically aimed at rachel ie : the image of the blood flowing through the water, that was the horses blood that appeared after the horse jumped off the boat and got cut up by the engine.. I think this changed the context of the video and i wasnt really satisfied with it.

Overall though, i enjoyed it, but id definately watch the original before i watch this again. :D

:wavey:

Originally posted by C'jais

I know, and that's my point.

Why was it necessary to make an American version of that movie - a translated version that had almost the exact same storyline and characters (as far as I've heard). I mean, they just cloned the movie and made big bucks on it. They ripped the plot and sold it as something Hollywood had thought up.

Because Americans hate subtitles... :D

I must admit, though, I am tempted to track down the original, now that I hear so many people ranting about it. There was a teaser about it on the Ring dvd, and there was a quick flash of Sadako out of the TV. Pretty freaky looking.

It wasnt neccessary to make a US version, but i think they wanted to share the story with an audience who would never have otherwise experienced it.

The center plot is the same, but there are specific changes to the story, locations, different contexts, characterisations etc.

I would really recommend the japanese version if you can tolerate subtitles, I never even thought about them while i watched it, it just seemed natural.

Although the general concensus with ring fans is that you will be slightly biased to whichever version you see first.

A little note for you : *SPOLIER*************************8

In the original book, sadako never came out the t.v., it was a virus that killed you, it took 7 days to work. The whole sadako coming from the t.v. thing was an idea of the filmakers.

:wavey:

Archived