Home

Freedom fries? Freedom toast?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's all true.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The cafeteria menus in the three House office buildings changed the name of "french fries" to "freedom fries," in a culinary rebuke of France stemming from anger over the country's refusal to support the U.S. position on Iraq.

Ditto for "french toast," which will be known as "freedom toast."

The name changes were spearheaded by two Republican lawmakers who held a news conference Tuesday to make the name changes official on the menus.

Across the country, some private restaurants have done the same.

"This action today is a small, but symbolic effort to show the strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally, France," said Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, the chairman of the Committee on House Administration. Ney, whose committee has authority over the House cafeterias, directed the change, after colleague Walter Jones, R-North Carolina, circulated a letter suggesting such a move. Jones said he was following the example of a local restaurant owner in his North Carolina district.

"I represent a district with multiple military bases that have deployed thousands of troops," Jones said in a statement. "As I've watched these men and women wave good-bye to their loved ones, I am reminded of the deep love they have for the freedom of this nation and their desire to fight for the freedom of those who are oppressed overseas. Watching France's self -serving politics of passive aggression in this effort has discouraged me more than I can say."

The name change was criticized by one young man in a House cafeteria.

"That's completely ludicrous to me," he said.

France has pressed the United Nations to give weapons inspectors more time in Iraq, saying the U.S. and British-led move to war is premature.

Its stance has angered some U.S. lawmakers.

Rep. Jim Saxton, R-New Jersey, has introduced legislation in the House that would block any French company from receiving U.S. government aid or financing in any reconstruction of Iraq. Another measure discourages American tourists, businesses and the government from participating in the 2003 Paris Air show.

But House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, said he didn't think Congress needed to take any formal steps to signal its disapproval of France.

"I don't think we have to retaliate against France," he said. "They have isolated themselves. They have resigned from any responsibility for the war on terror."

Asked why he was focusing on France when other nations, including Germany and Russia, oppose the U.S. position on Iraq, Jones said it was because France had taken the lead in challenging the United States.

Yes, it's all pathetic.

Carry on.

The same exact thing happened in WWI. We no longer ate pretzels, many things changed into "freedom" items, some people even changed their names if they had German-sounding first or last names.

While i certianly don't think its necessary, its not pathetic. It's a morale thing.

Originally posted by Tie Guy

While i certianly don't think its necessary, its not pathetic. It's a morale thing.

Hussein and Bush are also merely morally boosting their nations when they call each other foreign devils, evil, enemy of God and similar immature names.

Not only is it pathetic to resort to such infantile ways of dealing with this, they're also making themselves look more incompetent by doing it.

Freedom Fries? Freedom Toast? This is insane! I'm sticking with the old names. Imagine ordering Freedom Toast at McDonald's?! Who cares if France isn't helping us, it doesn't mean we have to rename some of the most popular foods in the U.S.! Well, it doesn't matter too much as long as they don't send me to jail for calling Freedom Toast French Toast.

FREEDOM!

Free us from the tyrrany of France!

I kinda like the idea, I never liked to call them french fries anyway....just fries...

And in WWI, it was Liberty Cabage... In WWII it was HotDogs... It always happens when people get worked up into a huge frenzy like this. (the most apathetic frenzy I've ever seen...but still...a frenzy.)

Hmmm, look here, we have cowadly little France that wants Saddam in power spo they can continue their lucrative trade agreements with him on all the oil. Being the French that they are they are saying, "F*** you people with zero civil rights. We have oil."

Personally I like the name better. It's a lot better of a protest against their actions than sending suicide bombers over at them flying jumbo jets... oops is that what militant islamic nations do to protest things? I'm sorry for bringing that point up... NOT!

Originally posted by TK-99

True.........America has never really experansided it

:confused:!

America hasn't experianced war?? You've got to be kidding!

We fought in almost all of the major recent wars, and fought on our homeland in the civil war (not to mention revolutionary). We had Pearl Harbor bombed!

Does that sound like "America hasn't really experianced it [war]"?

And about the Freedom Fires thing.

Who cares! Its just a name! And besides....its French!

Artoo, please stop flaming. You're not even right (read my other post).

The Civil wars were 200 years ago. No one remember them.

The other wars were not fought in the USA.

So the fact remains. No one's 200 years old and no war has been fought recently in the USA. Fighting a war overseas is extremely different from fighting one at home.

Who cares! Its just a name! And besides....its French!

If you knew some history, you'd understand. Sadly, you know no history. As Artoo once said: This statement constitutes zero flaming becuase it's true.

I hope you guys haven't forgotten the American Revolution. We have had our country occupied, and we know full well the terrors of war. Sure, they aren't in incredibly recent memory, but don't think we've forgotten. And don't forget that we fought in WWI and II as well. Sure, we didn't loose 10 million people or what not, but that doesn't mean we can't understand what war is.

The difference is, we don't let that keep us from doing what is neccessary. We don't let fear (or in France's case, oil investments and contracts ;)) hold us from what must be done. War is terrible, everyone knows that, but a price must be paid for any gain in this universe, and if war is the price of peace, i'm willing to accept it.

and of course... if we dont get saddam now, he wont hurt ANYONE else ANYMORE... right... that's the ticket... while I'm for getting him out of power... I'm against the war! It means longer hours for me at work damnit! NO WAR!! I don't want the overtime and the longer hours!!! :D

Here's a lil something that really happened today in my 1st period History Class:

Mr. Sacerdody (History techer next class room): "We've been working on a list for the name change, and here it is:

'Freedom' Fries

'Freedom' Toast

'Freedom' Bread

'Freedom' Kiss

'Freedom' Windows

'Freedom' Omlette

. . . . . [the list goes on forever, well, more like another 5 minutes. They basically changed 'French' to 'Freedom.']

Yea, the US Polititions changed the names because the French won't help us kill Iraqies*."

I thought that was hilarious. i think they are stupid for changing the name. We should protest against it. it makes us look REALLY stupid and the French (or should i say "Freedoms" niow?) will dislike us even more.

*Please note he was being sarcastic and joking. He does that a lot with the US government.

"Some people are really f****** stupid" - George Carlin

I'm sure the French are crying themselves to sleep every night over this too.

Most of those things named with a "French" prefix or attributed to the French being changed to "Freedom", aren't even from France to begin with.

I can see the entire French nation reading this and saying a collective "What-ever."

There was another story I heard of a restraunt owner dumping all his French wine in a sewer to make a point. Now, he had to have paid for all that wine. I'm still trying to see what his point was.

The French wine makers already got thier money from him; this was technically his property to do with however he wished. Are they supposed to feel bad because he chose not to drink it but dump it, costing him a small fortune in lost revinue? Is that supposed to hurt thier feelings somehow?

I suggest everybody who wants to make a point to the Germans too go out and buy a brand new Porsche, Bimmer, or Mercedes; top-o'-th'-line, of course, pay it totally off up front, cash-on-the-barrelhead if you will; then drive it straight to the crusher, or perhaps off a cliff. That'll show them!

:rolleyes:

Archived