Home

Revolution soft and their policy on fangames

GregD

Just read an old interview from the developer of Broken Sword 3 (Revolution) on AG.com and im amazed that he said that he doesn't mind people making fan games of BS.. even fan made sequels!

We the fans are so unlucky that LEC doesn't have such a carefree attitude to what could be one of the largest adventure fangame communities. People would be working on prequels to mi and god knows what else.

I'm still so disgusted by LEC's attitude towards us, we fill their pockets with money and they expect us to sit back and wait for a sequel or another game so we can fill their pockets some more.

I realise they don't want people doing a fan made MI5 etc. but come on LEC get with the times like revolution software.

There are two ways of looking at it. Sure, it would be cool if there was a load of downloadable Monkey Island games, but there are hidden dangers within this pot of gold. I mean, I for one would get very annoyed if I kept downloading games which weren't very good, weren't funny, and involved "naked elaine" gags. If I owned the Monkey Island rights, I'd probably do the same as LucasArts do. I wouldn't want the web littered with bad rip-offs of my game. I appreciate that there would be the odd very good game, but the vast majority would NOT be good.

The fangame community over at Adventure Developers more than satiates my appetite for fan-made games. The developer of Broken Sword says that, but the difference is that LucasArts are speaking from experience. I'm willing to bet that if someone made a badly made "Broken Sword 0: The Pharoes Balls" with bad jokes and was just an overall bad game, the same developer would think twice about letting "fans" loose with his material again.

Remember, LucasArts didn't start stopping fangames before anyone had decided to do it.

I haven't seen Mr Lucas firing legal bullets at all the Star Wars spoofs that litter the internet - From the harmless ones to the ones where Yoda lights up a spliff and engages in some interspecies interaction, and Luke & Leia narrow that gene pool ETC. What's so different about adventure game characters? Maybe if we make a cartoon where they all advocate homicide and perpetuate stereotypes LEC legal will back down?

Yeah, it’s a shame LEC come down so hard on fan projects. But they still haven’t stopped quite a few being made, and there’s nothing to stop you from making one to share with a few friends. It’s not like they’re completely anti-fan, they just don’t "encourage" fan-games. Generally I’d say the LEC were pretty good to their fan community, with all their cool stuff they do and such.

I wouldn't allow people making fan games of our soon-to-be-released Roger Foodbelly. Why? Well, would you like it if you made a superb game, and someone mysteriously made a fangame which ruined the whole original game?

Someone plays fangames first, and if it's bad, they most likely won't play the original game.

Plus, I don't like fangames. Why?

Well.... People making fangames can make something original instead. Of course, I'm being just foolish, and you will flame me.

But it's just my opinion.

Start something original instead.

I've learnt that from my own experience when I was younger. :p

I do look farward to 'some' fangames though, I must confess...

Btw... It's my birthday today :D

Happy birthday to you then!

I've got to agree. Seeing fan games that "borrow" Monkey Island's graphics isn't nice in my opinion. If you can't draw a background yourself, why make a fan game? If you can't develop characters yourself, why make an adventure game? The exception here would be games where you can take a whole new view, like the one that lets you control Herman Toothrot.

I fully agree that it's a lot better to make an original title than a fan game (or a sequel, in some cases), but LEC still shouldn't shut down fan games. They allow music to be remixed, pictures drawn, fan novels written - Isn't a game really just a combination of all 3?

It's a creators choice to choose if he wants to use some LEC characters or come up with someone original in his game, but as long as it's clear that this "is" a fan-game, then there should really be no problem. If people don't realise they're playing a fan-game, then they're probably too ignorant to play through the real games anyway. Besides, the whole point of "fan-games" is that they are played after the originals; because only fans will actually want to play them.

Most aren't fully devoid of originality anyway - "Fate of Monkey Island" had little to do with the Monkey Island characters, I believe the same islands were used though, and there were a few cameos. But that's it, really. The one with Herman, "Night of the Hermit", looks absolutely fantastic, but that suffers from stilted dialogue and ridiculous puzzles.

At the end of the day, a decent amateur adventure game developer can make a fan-game great. After all, "CMI" isn't from the original team, it's from a bunch of people who loved the originals.

I agree Scabb, and I think it's the one thing the community is lacking at the moment.

And jannar concerning your "soon-to-be-released Roger Foodbelly" would anyone want to make a fan game of it anyway ;D be honest now...

How on earth did you come up with such a zany title anyway... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Alien426

Happy birthday to you then!

I've got to agree. Seeing fan games that "borrow" Monkey Island's graphics isn't nice in my opinion. If you can't draw a background yourself, why make a fan game? If you can't develop characters yourself, why make an adventure game? The exception here would be games where you can take a whole new view, like the one that lets you control Herman Toothrot.

I 100% agree with you. Thanks for the congratulation :)

GregD on the other hand....

Originally posted by GregD

And jannar concerning your "soon-to-be-released Roger Foodbelly" would anyone want to make a fan game of it anyway ;D be honest now...

How on earth did you come up with such a zany title anyway... :rolleyes:

They probably would! If you got your ass into JustAdventure, you can see some of it already. :p

It's in the upcoming releases section... :)

The homepage is 'still' being worked on.... Damn...

Oh, and it will be commercial :D

That zany title was created a while back, when the creator wrote novels about him. So we translated his surname, and got Foodbelly! ;)

The name Roger Foodbelly is just as zany as Monkey Island. :p

Just reminding you about it... :)

Tell me what you think, if you ever check the art... :)

That page, will only be our temporary source, till we've got our homepage design ready.

Cheers :)

Have you guys seen Broken Sword 2.5? Zak 2? Zak 2 again?

All are good examples of promising fan-made sequels. They're not going to butcher LucasArts "perfect games" if you don't play them - which you don't have to - and even if you do happen to accidentally download extract install and run them, is that really gonna make you think "This is crap. This has ruined the whole of the "$seriesname" series for me :("

If so, then I'm afraid that you're stupid. Fate of Monkey Island was far from perfect, but it didn't ruin my perception of Monkey Island. I never once thought about that game when I played through the originals again, nor any other of the countless fan-games I have played. Fan games are a lark, not the gospel truth. Besides, Monkey Island is hardly a serious tale, and it's already been "butchered" by LEC if you want to take that tone.

And "Perfect Games?" The Dig? Escape from Monkey Island? Perfect? Maybe they're perfect at being "The Dig" and "Escape from Monkey Island" respectively, but these are two examples of Lucas Arts screwing up, at least in my opinion. I'll let "The Dig" off though, because it has its fans, but still.. I'll pick flaws in anything if you want me to.

A tad confused.

I was under the impression that LEC fangames WERE ok. So long as the people involved did not make any money out of it.

Am I wrong?

What about all these?

Fate of Monkey Island

Monkey : Island 2

Night of the Hermit (A Herman Toothrot adventure!)

The Devil's Triangle (Set between MI1 and MI2)

Indiana Jones: The Lost World

Plus the upcoming ones:

Fate of Atlantis II

Plus the two (amazing looking) Zak sequels that scabb pointed out.

As long as no-one is making money why is LEC making a fuss? :(

~ Johnny

Well, Scurvyliver, the creater of "Fate of Monkey Island" received a cease and desist from the Lucas Legal team, as did Matt Shaw, who was creating a game called "Legends of Lechuck". There was outrage etc, Lucas-bashing, which was fully deserved

I forgot to mention FOA2, which is also looking great. Most of the Monkey Island fan-games made so far haven't been on a par with the Zak or Broken Sword projects though.

Bleh, Victimless crime.

Originally posted by GregD

Gabez, can you give me like 10 examples of what LEC do in the community besides making games and running competitions?

Because to be honest it's sod all.

Er, well, maybe not ten, but… They seem pretty good with Mojo letting them come over and interview cool people and stuff, and they’ve got this new person who’s supposed to be answering questions or something. They could be better with some things, but overall I don’t think they’re too bad. All my posts contradict each other, yes.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by LucasTones

Foodbelly looks cool, and Atle tells me that it is going to be sold properly, not a free fangame.

Thanks. I missed that. I only want to answer Greg's question, but it seemed like he ignored my previous reply.

Archived