Home

AttackonYavin:Part1

master_thomas

I need a tester for my map(what else is the beta testing forum for): The Attack On Yavin:Part1. This is my first finished, successful map and I've been waiting a month for my other testers.

This is basically the Massassi Temple/Rebel Base/Jedi Academy under attack. You start in Luke's meditation room and work your way to the hangar.

It comes as part of a mod with green blaster shots, slightly tweaked sabers (the blades now have a slight hue, which is homogenous, and the full color in the glow. More like the movies), dynamic lighting for gun shots, a custom menu, working objectives, custom credits, stronger NPC's, higher fire rates and increased ammo capacity. I worked as hard as possible to make this unique.

The pk3 is 11.6 mb (effects, gfx, ext_data, the map files, scripts, strip, ui, etc.

I am completely new to this and am not fully sure on how this works, but testers are fully welcome by PM or this thread.

Well, I'll post just a couple of comments. The large force field in the beginning. Maybe it's just me, but I always think that the force fields must have some kind of an machinery to support them. Maybe nothing more is seen than the emitters, but in my own maps, I always put them in place. So that the force field, which undoubtly requires very advanced technology, does not seem to just come out of stone or floor dirt.

One technical note: The beta I downloaded had some X-Wings totally trapped inside columns, with only the very tips of the wings to be seen (that was funny).

Otherwise I think your map has potential. But right now it was a bit too much composed of fighting reborns and too little plot to be seen (what's Kyle's aim in this business, in the end).

Lassev, you are the first person other than me to post here.

The storyline has been revised since the beginning when the readme was written. I find that it is amazingly predictable:rolleyes:. Jan is missing

I'll make the emmiters. That should make it more interesting. I also want to add more details to boost my brush count ;). It must reach somewhere within one thousand of its brush capacity.

I noticed the x-wings in the columns. I fixed that.

I've added two cutscenes. One of Kyle falling through the floor (the breakble is now the lift). And a minute and a half battle cutscene between Luke, four jedi, and five shadowtroopers. Then, a flyby of the Raven's Claw and the x-wings flying through the hangar door, which must now be opened by the player.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the first thing I must comment is onviously the unfortunate fact that there seems to be one script missing. It should be run, when the elevator breaks up, but instead you can just see the error message of a missing script. I can't remember the name, though.

Then a couple of other things. Those field generators were nice, particularly so, because I haven't myself even thought of making them so that they would have a kind of split, where the force field is located. That was a very good solution and looked fine. However, if I were you, I would still concider the retexturing them. The current texturing of the emitters is, to say it bluntly, a bit dull, too repetitive perhaps, and not very realistic.

Although it is not a problem otherwise in your map, but it is still a good thing to keep in mind, that maps and architecture in them should be designed in a way that looks reasonable in a way that such designs could actually really exists.

Still an other thing. Perhaps you are not well acquainted with the area, but your map seems to lack areaportaling totally. My computer is not of the top class with only 1000MHz (although I do have GeForce4200), so I noticed this first just because of low FPS (not intolerable low, by any means). Yet it is a must to learn do areaportaling early in your career. What I mean is that with "r_showtris !" I could see from the first hall all the way to the hangar... When the search function is enabled again, search the forums for areaportals, possibly for hint brushes also.

When the lift breaks? That script? Oh dear. I think the "die" script isn't there, but it shouldn' t be there. I put the scriptrunner, but never made the script :rolleyes:.

I wanted a new texture for the emmiters, but couldn't find a better one so I stuck that one on it. Any suggested textures?

Yes, I'm clueless on hint brushes, but I placed an area portal in that door. It does fil inside the door, on unit from the outside. I think I know what I did wrong.

Thanks for the feedback!

For some reason a script is missing. There's a short cutscene that plays and the bottom blows up. Just bring up the console and enable cheat mode (helpusobi 1) and then "use battle". Then, use noclip through the elevator. I don't know why the cutscene is missing. It works for me, and I put the entire scripts folder in there. Oh well, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

hey i am yom i have been looking at your mod for a while and i never got around to playing untill today. well i like alot but beside a few things. there is no lighting on any of the ties and there is a lil bit of scripting things too but i amsure u allready know that. but on the last cutseen befor the ships take off umm... what is going on all i see i the camrea zooming in on one spot every 10 sec. and i hear alot of fighting but i dont know what is going on and who is fighting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived