Home

Can a wookie eventually learn basic?

Pax Romana

Does anyone know if a wookie can eventually learn basic?

I would like to play a wookie, but keeping a protocol droid around all of the time to translate would get a little dull.

If it is possible, do we know if this will be a relatively complicated process or only a mior hindrance (how long will it take). I realize that no one knows for sure but I am open to your best guesses.

The wookies simply can't learn basic, because their mouth, throats and tongues are too different. Same as chimps, they can learn to understand some human words, and they can learn sign language, but they can never speak.

Yup, it sure is one of the biggest disadvantage available, but it is a cool one, and it is very starwarsy.

With all things said; you will be able to buy a translator to overcome this difficulty. And I don't mean a Protocol droid either. It's my understanding that it'll be a small device that will put out your words mechanically.

While we are on this topic: I was wondering how they will impliment the learning of a language. Will it be like in EQ where you just get spammed until you become a master at learning and then create a macro to keep saying it? What do you guys think?

Legameboy, you can learn other languages.

The reason why wookiees can't is exactly what Set pointed out. Their sound system just isn't suited to make the sound that is called Basic. :)

However, they can learn to understand Basic. Same way that other species can learn to understand Shyriiwook.

If you will have to learn to understand Basic when you start as a Wookiee, or if you can allocate some skill points to this when creating your wookiee, I don't know.

I'm thinking the latter. :)

ok, but that discourages people being a wookie at the beginning right? cause you have to learn to understand it so it would be like this: "Hello" "*(*=Wookie translation)What?" "Would you like a fresh duck?" "*Did you call me f***?" "If not I must be going, go down to the cantina and hit it!" "*You bouncing over to the cantina like s***?":p

Not necessarly. There are many advantages of being a wookiee too.

No other species will ever become as strong as a wookiee for instance. They are the only ones that can build crossbows, and unless the crossbow is installed with an automatic loader, no other species will be able to rearm it, thus will not be able to use it. :)

Those are the ones I can think of on the fly, but since I don't plan on being a wookiee myself, I haven't put much thought into what the advantages and disadvantages are. ;)

The challenge in itself will prolly tempt many people to this species aswell I would imagine. :)

Since I am going to work my way to Master Ranger, I'm quite interested in the wookiee race. I see their strength as a major advantage. Another good point is that I don't think you'll have to worry about clothing when you are a wookiee. For instance, Chewie never wore anything other than that belt across his chest.

Which race do you think would make a good Ranger, and why?

I think just about every species will able scouts. I would not, however be a Mon Calamari scout as you couldn't be that great on Tatooine. Personally, I would choose a zabrak b/c they have a bonus to willpower, which i think a long trek alone might require.

Pax Romana

Originally posted by Jan Gaarni

Not necessarly. There are many advantages of being a wookiee too.

No other species will ever become as strong as a wookiee for instance. They are the only ones that can build crossbows, and unless the crossbow is installed with an automatic loader, no other species will be able to rearm it, thus will not be able to use it. :)

Those are the ones I can think of on the fly, but since I don't plan on being a wookiee myself, I haven't put much thought into what the advantages and disadvantages are. ;)

The challenge in itself will prolly tempt many people to this species aswell I would imagine. :)

im gonna be a wookie and ill prove to you there is more advantages than that jan i promise

Yes you can.

You can make yourself fat, skinny, muscules, tall, average sized, small, hippie long hair, no hair, chin-beard, sideburns (I think that's what its called, right? Beard down your side on your cheeks?) etc. etc.....

Same with all the other species. :)

Archived