Home

Why is Irak drawing so much sympathy? ?

Why are some many people against the war on irak? Its not as if the U.S. were going after the people living there, Bush is after Sadam? Sure there gonna be human casualties but thats part of any war and if you think thats not true then youre dreamin! (i know that sounded cold-hearted, but i didnt mean that way!:( )

Was there so much opposition to war in afghanistan? If there was it sure wasnt felt! You think Bush is going there for the oil, for revenge or for good intentions ? ?

(I personaly think its a little from the 3) :eek:

Any comments/anwers ? ? ?:confused:

I don't feel like debating, so I'll try to be objective on this one.

Well, most important of all: There is no symphaty for Saddam. The rest of the world, at least those countries that do not want the USA to invade Iraq, recognize Saddam as a monster as much as America does.

However, you have to see the fact that well-informed or not, the USA is (USA is singular, right?;)) making a pre-emptive attack. Now, Iraq might -might- be planning an attack on the USA. They also might be planning to invade Kuwait. The problem is we don't know for sure. And while Bush of course won't be targetting civilians, civilian death counts will be enourmous. Not from bombs and colleteral damage, but from the results of NATO's invasion: Hunger, decease, etc. The USA does not plan to target civilians, yet the military estimated the costs of reparations of Iraq to cost $10 billions. Another researcher estimated a death count of at least 400,000, and in a worst-case scenario: 2 millions (let me add that he specified that the "worst-case" scenarios were highly unlikely). People think it's "exaggerated" from Bush's side to invade Iraq. According to peace activists, it's about hate and fear (which I elaborated on in another post). A similar scenario was seen during WW1: People were afraid of not going to war, so they went to war. If this makes Iraq more right or wrong, I won't get into now, however.

Afghanistan was, in my opinion, very different. The entire world was shocked by the actions of Bin Laden and pretty much the only ones to protest war were the ones who did not know too much on terrorism (like the Norse Bloc). Note how Norway and Germany joined after being "educated" on how terrorism doesn't stop if you leave it alone. So in conclusion, Afghanistan was not pre-emptive (it followed a very visible and undeniable show of force from Al-Queda) and it was just in the eyes of the world. You'll notice, however, that if George W. Bush was to announce a plan to invade Afghanistan and topple the regime on, say, September 10th, 2001, the whole world would be against him and his "paranoid views on bandit states".

Originally posted by JEDI_MASTA

But had bush attacked afghanistan on September 10th 2001 he would have been right, this is also a verry possible thing with iraq

That would have changed nothing.

An attack against Bin Laden and his cronies would have had to take place years (perhaps as long as a decade) before 9/11 to stop it.

Corrected now. ;)

Anyway today at school we did a really crappy "protest". The idea was we'd walk out of school and march around with slogans. Not how it ended up....

First off we tried going through the front but a teacher sent us back. 2 lessons later we were all sitting down at the far end of the school pitch (grass, whatever. Dunno the word). This made us late for our lessons. Teachers soon came to check out what's going on. LOL we ran to the other side of the school like p***ies becuase the teachers were still at the other side of the school but eventually they caught us. Some badasses took advantage of the chaos and ran away from school, but then they were chased by this Irish teacher in his little car. Everyone in our year got an afterschool detention and I only got back 10 mns ago.

Archived