Are you for or against War in Iraq?

Snafu7

For or Against War  

19 members have voted

1. 1. For or Against War

• For It
    • Against It
    • Not Sure

First it said that Iraq was aiding terrorism, supposedly the Al Qaeda. No evidence, and the connection between the two was invented.

Now it's about his WMDs. No positive evidence. Most (if not all) of his biochemical facilities have been destroyed. Such weapons are very hard to maintain - they'll turn useless if they're left to rot in a bunker in the desert. They need a whole crew of scientists, and big production facilities to maintain them.

Then it was about human rights. When has the US cared about human rights anywhere in the world? Did they not recently torture two prisoners to death?

Now it's about stability in the middle east. Only, this war will bring LESS stability, not more. BTW, I might add, once again, that Israel has broken far more UN human rights resolutions than Iraq, and USA has vetoed against taking action towards, every f*cking time.

Then we get to "fighting terrorism by attacking Iraq". As if. If Iraq actually had some connection to terror groups, I might begin to take it seriously, but even then, invading a country does nothing but increasing resistance movements.

Go figure. And this there's all the crap about forged evidence and invented connections.

My respect for the US is dwindling. Fast.

A question for you C'jais, I respect your opinions even though you seem to disagree with me on EVERYTHING. :D But, if the Us did go to war, Saddam was killed and Iraq was rebuilt with minimal civilian casualties, will your oppinion for the US government grow stronger? Just wondering or do you have a steadfast disrespect for them.

That's a good question.

Unfortunately, we can't just look at the short terms effects of this war. Democracy is not going to pop up from nowhere after Saddam is gone. Afghanistan is pretty much just as worse off now, than before, and the US has stopped rebuilding it by now.

This war will increase terrorism - Big time. No doubt about that.

While and after the war, people won't be speculating in the dollar. Iraq possesses the second largest oil deposit in the world.

CIA and MI6 have both voiced their warning against this war, and they do not fully support Bush.

Do we have a right to invade and remove every single dictator in the world? (Especially considering that the US doesn't give a sh*t about human rights - it does seem a bit hypocritical to me.)

There are simply so many other places in the world where the US could move in and save the day. Just take Tibet, Rwanda or N. Korea as an example. This whole deal is about war and the effects on the dollar. It is not about "saving" the Iraqi people.

Here's a fact on the military in the US: The US military industry is the largest in the world. It provides millions of jobs. The US needs a war to justify all that hardware - otherwise there's plenty of good reasons to disarm.

And speaking of disarmament: Is the US were asked by the UN to produce a full report on all their NBC weapons, would you expect them to give it? Hell no. The US is no better than Iraq when it comes to this.

I could go on and on, but I don't have that time. (:

-C'

Originally posted by ckcsaber

He has mobile chemical labs. The US has evidence of this, one coming from an Iraqi chemical engineer who defected. They still have the labs.

Those mobile labs can only manufacture such weapons. They cannot in any way to be used to store several tons of them.

Do you realize how easy it is to create chemical and biological weapons? You can make chemical weapons out of household materials. You need only ask CIA for permission to create a vaccine from biological samples and you've got yourself a biological nightmare on your hands. Bin Laden's anthrax came from the CIA, in fact (oh, and he was trained by them as well, to fight russians).

What's curious is that Israel has several WMDs (including nuclear weapons), and that they aren't under any kind of agreement from the UN to not spread those weapons. They could sell them to anyone, and it'd never be noticed. They've broken way more resolutions than Iraq, with the US shielding them from actions by vetoing the security council. Al Qaeda could get their weapons from any place in the world - Pakistan, Israel, USA, Iran, Russia etc.

It doesn't matter if Iraq has a few barrels of mustard gas. So what? He's got no connection to any terror organizations, no incentive to use them, and his country is so battered from Gulf War 1 that if he should ever do something, he'd be pounded to dust.

But sure, go ahead and remove him. The country will be torn apart by all the individual factions wanting a slice of the cake, resistance movements and terrorism will increase, and maybe we'll find some planted evidence in Iraq to "justify" your war - but hey, at least your military industry will profit from this, you'll get easy access to oil and people are hopefully going to take actions against Israel as well now.

I am on the fence as of now.....

What troubles me, is that coalition forces are going for these oil wells first, and Iraqi troops seem so stripped down. If they had weapons of mass destruction.... would they have used them by now?

I also want to add, that my hearts are with the troops first and foremost. As a veteran, I know what the reality of conflict can do to the human psyche. Even if troops do not suffer physical casualties, the effects and threat of war can often leave a lasting medical/mental condition that takes years of therapy to treat. My prayers stay with all of them.

we're telling a dictator, who's already agreed to disarm many years ago, to get rid of the crap he's hiding

But it has not been confirmed that he does have these weapons. So basically, we're in a war, risking thousands of lives (our military, Iraq's military, and Iraq's civilians) to find out if they have them?????

It's not about WMDs. Other countries have WMD, ourselves included.

It's not about evil dictators. There are other countries with them, and innocent people suffering under them.

It's about finishing what his daddy started, and getting vengeance on the guy that tried to kill him. Risking all of those lives for such a personal cause, doesn't that make Bush a "not nice guy" willing to spend so many lives for himself?

1991 to present: American planes bomb Iraq on a weekly basis. U.N. estimates 500,000 Iraqi children die from bombing and sanctions

5000 die every month in Iraq from starvation,... witnesses have seen Saddam order his own people put thru shredders to maintain his rule with an iron hand.

One last thing: If I hear one more baseless claim towards France, I'm gonna go vetoed UN resolutions all over Israel's ass.

We all know there is only two reasons why France won't attack

1. Iraq supplies France with there oil

2. France wants the gravey... they just don't want anything to do with the nitty gritty

Originally posted by Lord Fergie

5000 die every month in Iraq from starvation,... witnesses have seen Saddam order his own people put thru shredders to maintain his rule with an iron hand.

Oh, so now it's about Saddam being a brutal dictator. Why didn't you bust Khomeni's ass? Or why not Mugabe? Or Il Jong? Can you make up your mind about what kind of legal reason to you have to go in there? First it was his WMDs. You've found none (even though you loved to forge evidence of that). Then you switched to his supposed Al Qaeda connection. Damn, it appears he has no connections, and that the only evidence you were able to dig up was invented.

Now we're here with human rights. When has the US ever cared about human rights? Don't you think it's a bit worrying that your country keeps changing arguments to suit their end?

We all know there is only two reasons why France won't attack

1. Iraq supplies France with there oil

2. France wants the gravey... they just don't want anything to do with the nitty gritty

Alright, get this:

You're accusing France of stopping the UN from doing what it was supposed to do. Now, France has used their veto power a total of 6 times since WW2. Your country, OTOH, has used it over 70 times. 38 times to stop the UN from taking action against Israel's who's broken more resolutions than Iraq has, has nuclear weapons, and doesn't give a sh*t about human rights.

I'll let this quote speak for itself:

"I don't know something called International Principles. I vow that I'll burn every Palestinian child (that) will be born in this area. The Palestinian woman and child is more dangerous than the man, because the Palestinian childs existence infers that generations will go on, but the man causes limited danger. I vow that if I was just an Israeli civilian and I met a Palestinian I would burn him and I would make him suffer before killing him. With one hit I've killed 750 Palestinians (in Rafah in 1956). I wanted to encourage my soldiers by raping Arabic girls as the Palestinian women is a slave for Jews, and we do whatever we want to her and nobody tells us what we shall do but we tell others what they shall do."

-Ariel Sharon, in an interview with General Ouze Merham, 1956

Now, if anything it's the US of A that's stopping the UN from doing what it was meant to do. Not France.

As for Oil: I'll admit that France is probably just in it for the oil. But your country isn't? That's pretty ignorant.

Based on what we've learned USA does with many countries it "liberates", they're going to install a "USA-friendly" leader in a now "democratic" society (tough for them, but if their government can only be a USA-friendly one, it's not really a democracy, is it?), secure a new market for their goods, pump out all the resources it can via this new leader and generally leave it to rot and bleed when all is said and done. A few years from there, a new dictator will arise in this country (strangely enough, he's pissed at USA) and the cycle is ripe for starting all over again.

This war might be different, but why should it?

I'm at my wit's end here, people!

Just listen to yourselves, all of you! "Israel this...", "Israel that..." and "France this...", "France that...", or "Bush this and that". Do you even realize that in the last month there have been over 15 threads relating to Iraq and the War thereof, and every last one of them has digressed into the same repetitious rhetoric?

People are dying! Troops, innocents, political figures etc.., and all you guys can do is fight the same god damned fight over and over! Those of you who oppose the war, and/or the United States on grounds of humanitarian issues are defiling the very reasons for your disapproval and disgust by your insensitivities and inability to stop your crusade for just a minute and realize this isn't debate class, this is real life, and human life is being extinguished! You can't stop it, so stop trying to fix a broken world that cannot be fixed and try to relate to those who are waking up amidst the explosions and gunshots of war.

Those of you who support the war and the US's call to action, is it not good enough that America has initiated what you have been supporting? Isn't it enough that 35 nations have pledged their support to the cause? No, instead we have to point fingers at France and Germany, and call them "asses" and "cowards". I have news for you, France was only exercising their right on the UN Security Council. It was not out of Left field! It was their right and duty to veto the resolutions that they believed were unfounded, or unjust. So what? The fact is, we still went to war, and the fact is, we will still win the war, with or without their support. So move on already. You are being selfish and overbearing, it is individuals like you that give us the "Warmongering" branding, and perpetuate the image of an arrogant United States.

We are at war folks, and people are losing their lives even as I type this rebuke. Whether you believe in God or not is irrelevant. Whether you wanted it or not, does not stop the horror of it from being true! Those troops, US & British and Iraqi, both troops and civilians, are under immense stress, and live in constant threat of their lives. They live in fear, and sleep in terror. Let's put aside our differences for the sake of those individuals who have the right to feel and say what you have been saying. And instead of wasting effort, time and energy making the same damn points over and over, direct that energy into care packages, prayers, letters, and other positive measures so that they may know that we care for those involved in this war. Those individuals that are there despite what they think or believe, and are completely innocent of what ever government did what or said what. They are merely following orders and doing their jobs, or even much less controllable, they happen to live in a nation torn by war.

Grow up people! Stop pointing fingers and placing blame. The war rages on whether you want it to or not. The real issue here is what will become of the troops and civilians who are directly involved in this war. They need support. They need to know that life will indeed go on after war is over. They need to know that there is still hope. Our arguing will not provide any of that, but instead it will plague the troops with misgivings, doubts and fears, and the innocents will fear for the new world that waits for them when this war is over.

We are the future, folks, we must prove ourselves worthy and responsible to inherit it. Let's start right here and right now. Just put down your arguments and stop your crusades long enough to care about the human lives we tend to forget in the heat of debate. In this debate, fought 5,000 miles away in a desert nation with a bloody war, nobody wins. In the end we are all humans and each of us will have suffered loss....

*sigh*

Havoc, thank you. I grow weary of always seeing new threads about the war. I am against ALL war. No matter the justification. Arguing over why we're at war or who's responisble for the war or who's worse than Saddam is all irrelevant. It doesn't matter. I dislike war, but I will still support my country and will most definitely support the troops. I pray for a swift end with as little loss of life as possible for both sides.

I guess I'd support the soldiers, but not what they're doing.

What I mean is... anyone here seen Glory ? We watched it about 3 yrs ago in history. There's a scene were the Colonel and his regiment have to burn down a village, but while doing it they lower thier flags becuase they are not proud of what they are doing.

That's what I mean.

And speaking of disarmament: Is the US were asked by the UN to produce a full report on all their NBC weapons, would you expect them to give it? Hell no. The US is no better than Iraq when it comes to this.

I don't wanna get involved or anything, but, would any country disarm themselves? No, I don't think so. And I agree with whoever said WW3 has started. It may not be the entire world at war, but most countries are attacking Iraq...

YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE ISRAELI'S ARE BEING FAIR?!?!?!? And that was 47 years ago. I bet he doesn't think the same. And did you know that they give money to the mothers of suicide bombers as compensation for their work? That's disgraceful.

there are now over 40 countries in the coalition, so they said.

I don't know about you, but Saddam scares me because I don't know what he has, and he has had stuff like that before.

Originally posted by Heavyarms

YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE ISRAELI'S ARE BEING FAIR?!?!?!?

That is not the case.

What's important is that they've broken several UN resolutions and human rights, and that USA as the single member of the UN has protected them from intervention by using their veto power 38 times. 38 times.

What's important is that a select few Americans have got the idea that they can state France is preventing the UN from doing what it was supposed to (intervene) without their country looking like a big bad hypocrite (at best).

And that was 47 years ago.

Was it? If it was revealed that Bush has said that horsesh*t in his past, he'd be politically slaughtered. We can't have racists running around disguised as leaders of our countries.

I bet he doesn't think the same.

I also happen to think Saddam is a nice guy - we can't really use that, can we? What we think of a specific person is irrelevant here - it matters only what they've said and done. And what these two guys have said and done isn't pretty.

And did you know that they give money to the mothers of suicide bombers as compensation for their work? That's disgraceful.

Yes.

Did you know that your country has helped Saddam attack other countries, installed a brutal dictator in Chile and sends 3 billions in "aid" each year to Israel for them to buy more WMDs?

1954: U.S. overthrows democratically-elected President Arbenz of Guatemala. 200,000 civilians killed.

1963: U.S. backs assassination of South Vietnamese President Diem.

1963-1975: American military kills 4 million civilians in Southeast Asia.

September 11, 1973: U.S. stages coup in Chile. Democratically elected president Salvador Allende assassinated. Dictator Augusto Pinochet installed. 5,000 Chileans murdered.

1977: U.S. backs military rulers of El Salvador. 70,000 Salvadorans and four American nuns killed.

1980's: U.S. trains Osama bin Laden and fellow terrorists to kill Soviets. CIA gives them $3 billion.

Overthrow of democratically elected leaders, political assassination and training of terrorists.

Here's what I dont get:

Every time someone says "Clinton", everyone automatically thinks, "Liar, liar, liar, evil" etc. But now that Bush is president, most are automatically agreeing with everything he says, and believeing everything he says. Now I'm not ignoring the fact that what Clinton did was wrong, but what I'm saying is, why is everyone else so trusting of Bush when you now know that a president is not some all mighty figure that never lies, is holy, etc. It's happened before. Why are you putting your full trust in this guy?

Another interesting point.

Originally posted by pbguy1211

Oh my god are you serious?! You've got to be kidding me...

Ending a rebellion of some beaten down, oppressed people compares to us using nukes to end WW2? Nice analogy... [/sarcasm] Buy a clue.

Dont' get me wrong... I'm not saying either or neither was acceptable use of force, but I'm just curious: are you saying that as long as the victims of violence are poor, periphery people and not affluent, industrial ones then there's a difference?

Personally, I find life valuable in any situation.

My next question is: where do we (as American's) draw the line. Are we now to be expected to squash any world leader that oppresses his people? Is there a number of deaths that has to be achieved that will trigger a U.S. invasion? Will the lives of our service members be risked for nation-states that do not threaten us? (which Iraq clearly did not).

These are valid concerns that each American should consider, especially at the polls of the next national elections. I assure you, if it becomes necessary for our troops to enter Bagdad proper in order to complete the mission, public opinion will turn more and more away from the Emperor Bush and Darth Rumsfeld. It will not be pretty when we engage in urban conflict with guerrilla forces.

Originally posted by krkode

Membership of the UN and other organizations as such are moral bindings, not hard and fast obligations. There's such a thing as not obeying.

Didn't Milosovich say that first?

And when that happens, what's the UN going to do? Attack the USA? \

Yeah... you tell 'em. Bring it on! [/sarcasm]

As the USA has shown no one hands out the rights to go to war.

Except the U.S.... we seem to reserve exclusive rights in that area.

there are now over 40 countries in the coalition, so they said.

Doesn't that leave some 230+ countries that aren't sided with us? And as the Bush admin made clear, "if you're not with us, your against us."

I don't know about you, but Saddam scares me because I don't know what he has, and he has had stuff like that before.

India/Pakistan scares me. N. Korea scares me. Former soviet satellite nations in near anarchy scares me. They each have or have had missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons. At best, Saddam is one of 16 periphery nations to have chemical weapons. There's little chance they can be delivered to the U.S.

Its not about WMD's! It's about economic control of the region! How can that not be clear?! How can anyone discount that?

Archived