Home

Of the First 3 movies, Which was your Fav?

Snafu7

Which Of the 1st 3 movies is your favorite?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Which Of the 1st 3 movies is your favorite?

• Star Wars: A New Hope
    • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I chose Empire (as we teenagers called it 24 years ago ;) ), but truly love all of them. All but TPM are definitely in my all-time top 20 movies.

Star Wars - I still remember the opening crawl, which I thought was cool and immediately engaging. So many movies before and since just have opening credits you kind of half-watch. This had no credits - just story. You took immediate notice. Then a ship under attack. Fine looked good but we'd seen such things, so it was just an interesting start. So now we get the attacking ship ... this thing is big ... um really big ... is this thing ever going to end?!? Wow - that just set everything going ...

Empire - if Star Wars was a classic tale of the rise of a hero of good to defeat evil, then Empire is the classic second act, in which we realize that evil is not defeated, just set back. The large battle happens at the beginning of the movie - again unprecedented before and since. The rest is the small action, big story, glory ... and you really had to have been there for *the* line ...

RotJ - at 17 I was getting a bit old, very busy with so much activity, so I probably only saw Jedi a half-dozen times in '83 ;) The final lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader, *that music* ... it was such a great flick. I had no problem with Ewoks (nor Gungans, for that matter), but was disappointed with Han's role, as comic relief (like C3PO on Geonosis). However, the difficulty of having a main character become sidelined now looks prescient of the roles of non-Jedi in a Jedi world in the prequels.

And ... as I've said elsewhere, if I had to choose favorite overall, it would be AotC. So sue me ... Lucas hasn't raped my childhood ;)

Mike

Originally posted by SE_Vader_536

you realize you bumed a thread that has been dead for a year and a half?

... and your point was ... ?

Seriously - I *didn't* notice, but with the OT DVD arriving, it doesn't seem inappropriate.

BTW - check your calendar, it was only 9 months since the last thread posting ...

Mike

*puts on Mod hat*

the way i understand it is, there's nothing wrong with bumping old threads if you have something to add to the topic.

the bumping of old threads is only frowned upon if people do it for the sole reason of bringing threads to the top of the page. i.e. the infamous 'bump!' post.

it is also frowned upon if people post in old thread with such things as 'i agree!' or something spammy, i.e. not contributing.

i may be wrong, i'm sure if i am one of the other mods will correct me if i am.

• 4 weeks later...

Im going to go with A new Hope :)

I mean, what not to love about:

Luke: so.. what da' ya think about her?

Han: Im trying not to kid

Luke: *pause* ...good.

Han: but shes got a high spirit... you think that an old space merchant like me, and a princess like her--

Luke: No.

I mean, c'mon!!

I didn't edit the post!! Its a lie!!!

Originally posted by TheRealJedidude

I like EP3 because the battle with Luke and Vader

But EP3 isn't part of the OT, and Luke isn't even in it, or Luke is just a baby. :confused:

On Topic: My favorite is TESB, it's darker tone, the battle of Hoth, Vader choking Imperial Officers to death like some people eat M&M's, and the fact the Falcon was broke through most of it, was just classic.

Though all 3 are really good, TESB just stands out a little more. :D

My favorite is ROTJ. It has some really dramatic scences I really like. Like the battle of Endor, The scenes between Han, Leia, and Luke while they are in the Ewok village, and of course Th lightsaber fight and the scene with Yoda. I can tell ESB is a better made film but I still think ROTJ is my favorite except for that last ghost scene when they replace Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christiansen. That bugged me like hell. Shaw looked like a better Anakin.

Originally posted by Sivy

*puts on Mod hat*

the way i understand it is, there's nothing wrong with bumping old threads if you have something to add to the topic.

the bumping of old threads is only frowned upon if people do it for the sole reason of bringing threads to the top of the page. i.e. the infamous 'bump!' post.

it is also frowned upon if people post in old thread with such things as 'i agree!' or something spammy, i.e. not contributing.

i may be wrong, i'm sure if i am one of the other mods will correct me if i am.

I agree.

<_<

>_>

No really, that's as agood an explanation as can be given :)

Good job Sivy! :D

All around in movie aspects such as plot, characters, setting, and more, ESB takes the crown as my favorite, but all of the movies were almost equally great. Since ANH was the first of the awesome trilogy, it can be cut some slack; it was an experiment at the time. RotJ was a great closure for the series, but I always felt it was too quick with Jabba's Palace. Jabba was a PIMP! They should have elaborated with more scenes of aliens at the place and more stuff happening.

Still, the series, IMO, are the best movies ever, based on the time period they were made, how they were made, and what content they have.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know how you can choose only one movie ... This is a trilogy none of the movies could be seen without seeing he others ... so many elements would be missing. It is a complete story and a master piece IMO.

I love them all. Can get tired of watching them again and again.

All hail SW!!!

Archived