Home

Saddam Hussein

Heavyarms

I do not believe that the earth is billions of years old, just as i do not believe in any sort of evolution, started by God or not.

The reason I cannot believe in evolution is because of genetics. We all know things evolve, or adapt, over time as gene mutate and multiply through the process of natural selection by genetic mutation. This is not a theory, it is a fact, and it is called microevolution. A lion becomes faster a bear has longer hair for the cold, things like this happen over time, and it doesn't have to be billions of years. However, a faster lion is still a lion, and a bear with longer hair is still a bear, the species doesn't change. Now, all the changes come through mutations in genes, but at a basic level no information is ever added, only subtracted or modified, a change in base pairs or the removal of base pairs. A single celled animal with, say, 4 chromosomes may adapt to an envronment and change some of the genes in its chromosomes, but it can't just pick up another chromosome through mutation, which is the only conduit for natural selection.

As for the earth being billions of years old, what is your proof? I have no belief in carbon data or what not that is only accurate to within billions of years. I've actually seen carbon data results (you won't get them from the evolutionary scientists, a christian scientists showed me these), that when two layers of rock were dated the one on top was "found" to be onlder than the one on bottom, and there were no traces of subterrainian rivers or water of any kind, and the numbers weren't even close. Care to tell me how that's possible?

So what else is there, a canyon or other natural resources? Who's to say they weren't created that way? The big bang could have created the canyon or the carbon just as they are, couldn't it have? Theoretically it could have created fossils already in the ground, no? Of course, i believe some sort of great flood destroyed many animals and created the fossils all at once, which is scientifically possible. The fact that nearly every society, from the Jews to the English tribes to the Chinese tribes to the Native American tribes, all have some version of a flood story lends itself very well to the theory.

I'll tell you right now that i can't prove to you that the earth is only 6000 years old on what i know, but i've never seen anything that says concretely that it is 600 billions years old, either.

Oh, and the idea of "virtual particles" and "false vacuum" sounds just as convoluded and contrived as you might say the Bible is. They seem to be nothing but crazy ideas invented to explain what they cannot. They are theorized, not tested or proven, thought to be potential but not truly known to be.

Think about it. If i have one marble, that marble is the same as two marbles minus one marble. Does that mean i actually have two real marbles and one negative marble which cancels one real marble out? No, i only have one marble, and while other things may be theoretically equal to having one marble, that doesn't change the fact that i only have one.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not defending rape in any way.

I'm explaining why we're not defending it.

But just so you know I'm sincere in real life - No, I'd never resort to rationalization when getting rape victims to cope with their hurt. That does not work, and you can rest assured that I do not waltz around in real life, talking like this to my friends.

But merely knowing, in the back of my head, that there's a sensible way to explain it, helps me deal with people better. When I meet ignorants and idiotic bullies, I pity them in private.

*nods*

That makes me feel somewhat better about what you said, thank you. :)

Also creationism vs. the big bang.

Explain to me how something as infinitely complex as chromosomes magically appeared and I'll start to give more of my ear to what you say.

Also there's a good book by an atheist scientist who believed in the big bang and figured up the odds on everything being just right for life to happen. This does not include life happening, just getting the conditions right. It was something on the lines of 1 in 95,000,000,000,000,000,000 that just the conditions for life were right, let alone the odds that life "evolved" out of molecules. Needless to say after his research and publication he became a devout christian.

Archived