Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

Well what should I say?

Here is what i send in to the JediKnightii.net Staff as a news:

Seems like no news site has posted this so far, so:

According to the popular german game magazine "GameStar" there WILL be a Jedi Knight 3!

Checkt out http://www.gamestar.de for a cover-shot of their next issue - they claim to have world exclusive material on it... we'll see.

Subscribers should be getting their GameStars right now, so maybe someone might upload a scan.

What everyone should do now is jsut check out GameStar's Frontpage and judge for themselves.

GameStar has a pretty good reputation and I'm sure that it's true, but the 'secret link' they claim to have on the cover is a bit dubious ain't it? ;)

Don't bother trying to find more news within gamestar.de - the cover is all that's there ...

Quick translation of the main points:

Jedi Knight 3 [+ secret link]

free choice of heroes and missions

They claim to have been able to actually PLAY the game....

So I'd like to say somthing to the subscribers of gamestar:

SEND IN SCANS! ;D

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know...wasn't GameStar one of the first to produce some in-game movie footage of Jedi Outcast? They seem to be quite resourceful.

Anyway...it doesn't matter to me. I love that picture of a Twi'Lek Jedi on the cover. :eek:

It would be seriously good if we could play as a female Twi'Lek in an SP campaign... That was the other thing that was largely missing from Jedi Outcast...alien Jedi, on both sides.

Agreed Stormy, I also think that they need to incorporate alien jedi's into some of these games. It would make it that much more realistic.

I hope that this magazine is right. I can't wait to see Jk3 and I hope we don't have to wait too long. :)

Yeah well... haven't seen it myself yet, but it looks like they have 6 full pages on JK3.... if that ain't promising ;)

GameStar is actually one of the most important game mags in europe, so such stuff isn't all that odd - surprising sure, but well who cares :)

I'll look around a bit more and see if I can find some scans. The jk2.net staff doesn't seem to have any more info, since they aven't yet posted about it.

I'm very intrested to see those screenshots that Com Raven was talking about. I'm not a fan of the Q3 engine (at least JKII's implementation) so I hope Raven has done some major modifications to make it run smoother, and taken steps to fix the god alful lighting in the engine

Oh well... since there are still NO other sources around on this, I'll now consider this whole story a really bad joke - until proven otherwise;

- COVER Story!

- 6 full pages preview

-> pretty 'odd' secret link and some other strange stuff

==> BAD joke...

If this turns out to be true that would be a real shame for a once good magazine (haven't read it for some time though)

For those that haven't seen it, here is the article that is posted on jediknightii.net:

Jedi Knight III Revealed

Developer: Raven Software

Publisher: LucasArts/ Activision

Release: Fall 2003

You know those moments when a simple day is turned into pure excitement? That about sums up my feelings when I went to the mailbox today to grab my issue of Gamestar, Germany’s Number One gaming mag. So I take a look at the cover to see a female Twi’lek wielding two lightsabers! “What the hell” was naturally my first thought before I see the words next to it: Jedi Knight III Revealed. World Exclusive.

So, where to start?

Right, with the story. At the end of Jedi Knight II, Kyle saves Jan from Desann’s claws, and the galaxy from the Doomgiver. Six years later: Kyle is now an instructor at Luke Skywalker’s famous Jedi Academy. Thus, for the first time in the Dark Forces series, you don’t play as Kyle Katarn! Instead, you create a character for yourself. Create? Yes, similar to a role-playing game you choose your characters gender, race (Humans and Twi’leks are confirmed so far) face, hair cut and clothing! And the customization doesn’t end there: you also choose a saber handle, colour and whether you want to use one or two sabers! Later on, you will also get a Darth Maul-style double-bladed saber.

Talking of sabers: Raven Software is trying to put a lot more emphasis on the Jedi’s favourite weapon. While there will still be conventional weapons (even more than in JK II), the current estimate says that around 70% of the game will be spent using a saber. And those 70% look spectacular for sure: according to the article, it will be quite common to face of against several Dark Jedi at once. This is where a new feature of JK III comes into play: you can now combine your force powers! For example, you can fight one enemy with one of your sabres, and at the same time throw the other saber at the next foe! Of course, Raven is adding new force powers to keep the experience fresh for us long-time fans of the series. Other than in JK II, you will now once again be able to choose what skills to advance in one of three levels. And you can choose if you want to follow the path of the light or dark side! This being more than a little touch, Raven promises that the last few levels of the 30-hour campaign will be different for the two sides; same goes for the final cutscene.

Which brings me right to the next cool new feature: missions! For the first time ever in an action-game, you will be able to choose which mission to tackle next! There will be a few key mission you have to do at a certain time, but otherwise, you are free in your decisions. Gamestar expects you to spend the time between missions in the Jedi Academy, from where you start on your missions. As I said there will be key point missions, as well as boss fights and side trek missions will allow you to improve your character, and maybe even pure vehicle missions! While JK II placed several levels in the same location, JK III will mostly be one mission in one location. These locations will be a merry mix of places from the movies, books, comics and new stuff. Examples of locales you will visit during your quest are Tatooine and Hoth (including a little ride on a Taun-Taun!)! Raven promises that the levels will often be twice the size of their JK II counterparts, and filled with life: on Tatooine, you will have to fight of Tusken Raiders, which are busy hunting Jawas (poor little guys always get beat up)!

The game will once again use a heavily-modifed Quake 3 Team Arena engine, as well as all of Raven’s own enhancements to it! Despite its Age, the screenies sure look spectacular! The multi-player part will also be enhanced, and rumours speak of vehicular combat!

And here comes the best part: According to Raven, JK III is 60% done, including story, scripts and levels. So, if everything goes well, you will be able to play it this fall!

Man, coming this fall. This game sounds awesome. I really like the "create your own character" aspect of the game. And vehicular combat? This description makes JO sound like a test run for JO2! Some of these features sound like big improvements as well. I wonder how long it will take people in this forum to start to bash it? :)

Sounds interesting, i'm worried about the state of multiplayer with all these "improvements", seems to me its going to become too complex for its own good...

But, if Raven actually use the concept of multiplayer tests prior to release, we might just end up with a game we can all enjoy.

Originally posted by StormHammer

All I can say to Raven is... ' Impressive...most impressive!'

I heartily agree. I think Raven has unfairly been bashed in these forums. First, they created a great game in JO, were active in the community (answering questions, releasing development tools and MP source code), address issues and tried to fix problems (you can decide if they succeeded), and now they appear to be making a game the incorporates much of the feedback from the players. So to you Raven, I say, BRAVO!

Originally posted by Com Raven

Hey, I am the guy who wrote this up...

A few things: Gamestar has VERY good connections to US devs, and often have exclusive articles and demos...

further, there are some april fool's jokes in this issue, but JK III is real...

Hi Com Raven, since you have the magazine I was wondering if there was any mention of NRG (Editing team for Jk2) in it or if the NRG Duel Map Pack was available on one of the cds? The reason behind this question is because Gamestar contacted NRG about putting us in their next issue so I'm curious. :-)

Archived