Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's impossible to say with complete confidence that this is a hoax without hearing anything official from Raven (unless I've missed something...haven't read the article...can't read German). What I mean is, big names associated with Raven declaring publicly that this IS or IS NOT a hoax. It's impossible to tell. This is the "Information Age". Word gets around FAST. Wouldn't Raven had already [CENSORED] on this if it WAS a hoax?

Dang. Now I'm arguing like a guy. See what you made me do?? j/k (no pun intended). ;) You're right, CreepingDeathNL... we'll see... *pause...blink* ... Shouldn't I...like...laugh evily now...or something?

But...yes. Can anybody vouch for the authenticity of the magazine? I'll keep an open mind. And to be honest...I'd be weary no matter WHAT magazine did an entire cover story for JK3...even if it was CGW or PCGamer...but I'm with GonkH8er. Why reinvent the wheel? Well...add ragdoll physics to the wheel. :)

An April Fool's joke 2 days eary isn't an April Fool's joke, and the source is a german mag (those guys seem to be fairly reliable when it comes to Jedi rumors), so I'd say its probably real.

But it definately looks like an expansion... I mean where's Kyle or Jan?

A female Twi'Lek Jedi and what looks to be some other alien in single player... its got Expansion written all over it. Glad to see we'll be getting more SP levels (unlike the EF expansion which was MP focused, with just that voyager tour level for SP). Technology-wise, I'd concur with those saying it just looks better implemented, not revolutionary or a new engine, from these brief scanned screenshots.

And now, the craptastic Babelfish translation (unedited sorry):

This is the text from the German likes gamestar the situation seems offering no prospects:

Five dark Jedis surround us, which gezueckt weapons.

But we only smile cold and activate our two laser swords. While we repel the attacks with very fast, we let the other one fly as from charm hand by the opponent rows. Only an adversary remaining - behind us! We get deeply air, run perpendicularly the wall highly, repel us and land with a Salto behind our astonished enemy. Invisible hands pack its throat, lift it over the close abyss and leave loose...

This scene could originate smoothly from that episode 3-Drehbuch von George Lucas, describes however a typical game situation from Jedi Knight 3. The newest co-operation of LucasArts and Raven concentrates on spectacularly choreographierte light sword duels; boring standard shootings decrease for it in meaning. GameStar was locally in the Wisconsin/USA, as the long time secret Action Blockbuster was revealed Kyle as a veteran we to remind us: Our favourite light sword oscillator Kyle Katarn in Jedi Knight 2 its last large adventure experienced about eight years after the battle around Endor and the death of the Imperators (star Wars 6). Completely besides it won its lost believed Jedi forces back, entriss its friend January Ors the claws of the echsenkoepfigen upper rogue Desann and saved the universe from the imperial super weapon Doomgiver. The Story of Jedi Knight 3 begins some years later. Kyle closed finally its peace with power. Together with hatch Skywalker it informs the Padawan new generation in the Jedi academy on Yavin. The new adventure begins directly with a strong surprise. Kyle Katarn leaves for the first time in the Jedi Knight history the main role to another hero, instead you begin as its talented pupil. First your Jedi training stands on the time table, under the watchful eyes of hatch and Kyle. Smaller orders, until you finally uncover an enormous conspiracy, follow - as it could be different - the entire galaxy threatened. More do not want to betray Raven and LucasArts yet. However did Jedi Knight 3-Projektleiter Steve Raffel that we will experience surprising idioms in the planned 30 play hours of history nearly complete well-known star the Wars universe to visit and clearly more than already in Jedi Knight 2nd Jedi Modedesigner as see he out, promise us the new Jedi hero? You determine that completely alone! From a multiplicity of trousers, jackets, shoes and uniforms cutters it a topmodisches future knight costume. Now only a tasteful colour combination selected, and your hero (or dear heroine?) Wars gangway is ready for the star. Which Klamotten lies in the shelf, depends crucially on the origin of your Jedis. Raven confirmed two races with humans and Twi'Lek only. We count on three further and already look forward however at least to the first Wookie with rosa Zottelfell. Spielerisch do not differ the peoples however. Then the choice of the own laser sword follows. Both color and grasp Design may select you. First you tinker only a conventional a hand light sword. Who works however in the campaign, a double sword model may sketch later, how it uses also Darth muzzle in episode l. Prefer against it the combat style of Anakin Skywalker in episode 2, fuchteln you also equivalent two self-'s building blade around sword or Wumme the prettiest laser sword use few, if one cannot use it styleful. If Jedi Knight 2 was still primarily a Ego Shooter with occasional sword inserts, the successor concentrates on film-ripe close-in engagement duels with the Jedi Lieblingswaffe. One experiences presumably approximately 70 per cent of the play from the pursuer perspective with the sword in the hand.

However you can change still at any time into the Ego opinion and let weapons such as Wookie Armbrust or storm troop rifle speak. Raven wants to even still develop the Wummen repertoire opposite the twelve knarren of the predecessor. Constant ammunition scarceness and clearly more Jedi enemies are to force you however nevertheless to the constant sword employment fights as presented in the cinema than Raven Boss Steve Raffel us the first laser sword duel, mutate our office chair smoothly to the cinema armchair; Close-in engagements of Jedi Knight 3 remind astonishing of that-spectacular duel between Obi Wan Kenobi, Qui qui-Gon Jinn and Darth muzzle in episode 1. Our hero strikes Salti or escapes from hostile attacks with a soil role. It lets swords circle its around itself and chokes at the same time an enemy by power grasp. Raven has the maneuver number increased by more than the double on the simple control is however for nothing to change. Defend functioned still automatically, and the program selects the suitable attack depending upon opponent position as for instance a surprising sword impact to the rear. However because of the three combat styles (in-handle, two-handedly, two swords) the duels will already play themselves very fastidiously. So owners of double sword can deactivate a side, in order to win at speed. Fighters with two a hand swords defend themselves with the weapon and let the other one toward opponents fly. Nice support at matrix: Jedi Knight 3 produces particularly spectacular actions styleful in slow motion. Mission liberty large innovation in your Jedi career: Instead of stubbornly mission for mission, decide you abzuspulen on your next destination. This nonlinear campaign of Jedi Knight 3 is a genuine new fact in the Actionspiel category. Nevertheless history is to run at least just as dramatically as in the predecessor. As functions, Raven keeps still secret. Steve Raffel nevertheless betrays so much: "you have missions, which advance the Story, and you have orders, her with lives fill." We assume that you will select from the Jedi school the next employment, either on a galaxy map or by discussions with masters and colleagues. Some tasks are key missions, which help the action. Others serve simply for the maintenance as well as the development your play figure. All orders have however one together: The club-hard puzzles from the second part land on the space cemetery. Jedi Knight 3 wants to concentrate primarily on Action. Times you look on Tatooine in Jawa Sandcrawlern for missed Droiden, times save you to civilians from a hungry Rancor. And afterwards you complete an employment at the side of hatch Skywalker, with which as only weapon your laser sword is available. Outside and interior scenes are to hold themselves approximately the balance. Additionally Raven plans crack-industrial union-short special missions, for instance the fight against a final opponent or a pure vehicle level. Power development who with the Imperium puts on itself, should not only well laser-fences, but also powerfully power to use. Therefore Raven wants to clearly develop the repertoire at Jedi forces. Many abilities, which there were with Jedi Knight 2 only in the Multiplayer mode, may use you now also in the solo adventure. "view" puts for instance a bright field around all opponents, so that you can recognize your enemies also by walls - practically for a maintained bogenwurf with the light sword. In addition power forces are to be able to be combined in the future: Who activates "jump" and "speed" at the same time, overcomes even the deepest abyss. Owing to improved AI itself however also your opponents of the risen power possibilities are fully conscious and even co-operate: While a Jedi carries you by grasp into air, dissipates other lightnings - like the Imperator in the final of star Wars 6.

In part of 2 your power development was still firmly given, in Jedi Knight 3 decides you, which abilities learn you or in up to three stages to develop. Depending upon desire your hero flirts rather with the dark or the bright side of power - with dramatic effects on history. So the last missions for good and bad Jedis are to play themselves completely differently. Accordingly Raven plans equal two final sequences. Jawa hunt of the predecessors achieved one in the test accurately one year ago Ga-meStar for special atmosphere. It looks everything like the fact that Raven defends this honor. Because the levels shown spray an extra portion star Wars Flair already now. Sand people do not only hunt you in the desert of Tatooine, but also those everywhere herumwuselnden Jawas. The appearance of the dreadful Ran cor (see box P. 55) earns a play OSCAR already now. And in the tendencyful dark temple plants the surrenden laser swords produce an impressing Lightshow with goose skin warranty. Amazingly, which for power reserves Raven still from the Quake 3-Technik kit tent: More highly dissolved textures as well as an intensified use of Curved Surfaces and Specular Mapping almost get the distance to the unreal engine up. For the external worlds Raven uses developed terrain system from Soldier OF Fortune 2, which permits a clearly closer vegetation. Jedi tourism the levels of Jedi Knight 3 are multicolored star a Wars mixture made of film -, Comic and book scenes plus unite self-creations. Raven attaches thereby much importance on alternation: Instead of changing as in the predecessor only all three to four missions the location, you are in the third part in the case of nearly each order new objects of interest to admire. Beside the desert planets Tatooine as well as the usual outguard and temple plants will visit Jedi jedi-Krieger for the first time also the ice planet Hoth - scene of the enormous battle from the Imperium strikes back. The enormous levels of Jedi Knight 2 obtained a episches play feeling, nervten however also occasionally with unnecessary Latschereien and Logikschnitzern. Despite allegedly partly twice as large play worlds Raven wants to avoid these problems in the third part. On the one hand there is to be usually several ways to the goal, approximately with or without power employment. On the other hand you may use substantially more means of transport. Thus the ice deserts of Hoth on the back of the pelzigen riding animal lose Tauntaun already much from their fright. And on Tatooine you will surely be allowed to fly like the young hatch with the Speeder new Multiplayer modes to statement of Raven are Jedi Knight 3 to 60 per cent finished. The work on Story, script sequences and levels is so well finally, now concentrates the developers in Wisconsin primarily on opponent AI and mission Design. Raven with new play variants wants to develop the Multiplayer mode. We assume strongly that it will give among other things vehicle duels. Without a cooperative mode as in NO One Lives Forever 2 we must do however. Since LucasArts is awake extremely strictly over its newest baby, we were allowed to turn still no video. Look forward however to first moved pictures of the Action Blockbusters in the framework our detailed E3-Berichterstattung!

Few things: those three shots are indeedn comparisons between JK II and JK III...

Also, for the goddamn ****ing last time: THIS IS NO HOAX!!

Gamestar already had bix exclusive stuff before, and never did they have an hoax article in an april issue...

Seeing how they use Quake III engine again, it is very possible that the game will be realeased in fall, as they have 36 guys working on it...

This is no april fools joke...

Also, the game is based on the Quake 3 TA engine, with thge usual GHOUL enhancements from Raven...

And it is nothing unusual for a big company to secure copyrights and domains long before you actually need them...

Interesting highlights:

Three saber modes: single, double, and two lightsabers (if I interpret that correctly... does this mean that the "normal" three styles are not there?)

You can customize your character (in single player as well?) and choose your saber hilt.

More drivable vehicles, possibly a speeder or taun taun.

More Jedi enemies, but guns are still useful.

Rancors! Lots of rambling missions... sounds like MotS to me!

Seeing and other powers available in SP (finally!).

Selectable missions.

You can go over to the Darkside (!!!).

Use of "Curved surfaces" and better terrain engine and other features.

Exactly. I doubt this is a hoax. Whether or not it is an expansion remains to be seen. My guess is that it's the actual game. Yes, the focus of the Dark Forces series has been on Kyle Katarn, but that doesn't mean that he has to take the spotlight the entire time. Somebody could just as easily make a Dark Forces game in which Jan is the main character. Plus, why would a magazine interview Raven and call it Jedi Knight 3 if this was an expansion?

The germans are always on top of this sort of thing.

Ever since the "decapitation screenshot" and "Eddie Wan Kenobi in da hooooooooooouse" I have trusted them completely. ; )

Besides, it can't be an April Fool's, since you can only do those ON April 1st, not before.

One thing I'd wish for is a Q3-style keyserver for multiplayer. Maybe that'd cut down on some of the lamers...

Bah, germans! :)

I mean, yes :D

As much as you all think it's a joke, I'm pretty certain it's not. I know they're up to something Lucasarts related at Raven, and this is probably it, unless someones gone to the trouble of editing the JK2 menu to a character customization setup screen... and I cant see that happening for just a joke.

besides, the texture and mapping looks pretty good in these shots, and that double sabered block isnt in any of the mods which emulate double sabers...

You can bet your bottom dollar, or your top dollar for those of you who arent cheap :), that this is the real deal.... and you can count on us to supply up to date information, as it comes out, to keep you tickled pink (god, i sound like some crappy american cable news channel :D)

Originally posted by Kurgan

"Eddie Wan Kenobi in da hooooooooooouse"

Heh, I'm never gonna forget that one :p Highlight of the weeks before JKII was released.

On the domain thing - they will have reserved them just incase they want to ever come back and make more sequels. They know JKII is their biggest Star Wars franchise on the PC, so of course they will want to milk it the best they can. I really don't want to see the end of Kyle though, he's like my hero :p

You wont see the end of Kyle. He's in it. you'll see him.

Oh, and it's NOT fake. I'm dead certain now.

Oh, and another thing, the twi'lek models, the user created ones on the net.... as far as i know, the tails on the head dont move and interact with the body (correct me if I'm wrong)

In these pics, it clear that they are swaying, and bending over the shoulder and arm where they touch.

E3 is coming up in the summer. I'd expect that this game will be given it's first full featue then. The concept of vehicles sounds good as well as the customisation.

I'd also like to point out how glad I am that it's Quake 3 engine. That way the larger audience can play the game. Especially those with systems running under 1GHz.

Ok, I saw mention of SOF2 technology in there....

Perhaps we'll see a random mission generator implemented? :) I imagine it wouldnt be too hard, seeing as theyve got all the source code they'd need......

And I hope we get to return to the sith temple from MOTS.... I skipped a bit of those missions. Got so frustrated :)

I am torn between the theory that this is an expansion or JKIII.

Either way it looks bloody brilliant, and I'm sure this is not a hoax.

1) No-one would put the time into a hoax that elaborate.

2) If it was a hoax, the LEC lawyers would destroy Gamestar - or LEC were in on it, but I really don't think they would be.

3) It sure doesn't look like a hoax.

All we can do is sit back and wait for the official word from LEC, and finally put this argument to bed :)

Archived