Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

Nice to see you around here again Chang :)

One question I have is weather or not some type of support could be added for custom, or non-humanoid skeletions? I'm coming completely from an artists perspective, and not a programer, so It may not be possible, but one of the things I always wanted to add was some custom animations for my models. (flowing tenticles, more realistic clothing) Also, any chance of seeing a "ragdoll" type physics system implemented?

I'm very anxious to see what you guys can come up with, especially within such a short time. I plan to rework some of my models and import them into the next game.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Imperial Jawa

Ok yes ledge grabbing would rule. Everyone who wants this in post now or forever hold your peace!

Yes, this would be a good idea, and I'd like to see it implimented, but....

I'm not one of the moderators of this forum, but I am LFN staff, so I'm asking everybody, please, lets not spam up this thread by requesting ledge grabing, or whatever feature multiple times. There is a good dialogue going on here, and I'd like to keep the "spam" to a minium

(below)edit: No worries Plo :)

Okay, well, first off, if I'm going to answer any of the questions, I guess I need to admit that we are, indeed, making this game (should be pretty obvious by now, so no-one should get mad at me for admitting as much). No, it's not a hoax/joke/rumor, no, it's not an expansion pack, it is a full, complete, stand-alone game. And it's called Jedi Knight III right now for lack of a better name, I, personally, would not call it a "sequel" to JK2 since I think a DF/JK game should always be about the Katarns (maybe a true JK3 could be about Kyle and Jan's child, who perhaps shows a particularly strong adeptness with the Force...?) So I wouldn't be surprised if the name doesn't stay "Jedi Knight III" (but who knows). Not that it's not a full game, it's bigger than JK2 in terms of gameplay, content and features, it's just not, in my opinion, the true sequel to JK2. I think that one shouldn't be done for a year or so and should probably use a new engine.

Now, onto questions:

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

Since i'm assuming JK3 will face the same issues in terms of singleplayer development maybe include some more workarounds to problems? In JK2 we managed to include new NPCs using extra npc config files. Maybe extend this so we can have new quest/mission-based inventory items?

New inventory items? Hmm... well, that would require us to really make the inventory stuff a lot more externalized than it currently is. Not a totally trivial thing. However, with ICARUS scripting you could easily simulate something like this. Place a misc_model_breakable and have it so that when the player hits a trigger, it removes it, sets a variable, fires off a script, whatever you want - it can affect anything you want it to.

Along these lines, though, I do want to make modding easier. I've already made it easier to add new NPCs and custom sabers of all kinds of configurations, and there may be some other things that will make content mods easier to accomplish... we'll see.

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

Maybe have it so you can have interconnected levels that you can go back and forth between, collecting items to solve puzzles in old areas etc. ie making it possible for editors to make Deus Ex style missions.

Again, this isn't trivial, a hub-style interconnectivity between levels is a lot of work. However, we did do this for the expasion pack to Elite Force so, technically, it's still a feature of our game, just one we're not using. I don't know if it still works, but someone could try it (either look at a "Virtual Voyager" map file or just try it - I believe it's just a spawnflag on the target_level_change entity. :)

Originally posted by striderx2048

The game plays in the X-Men world and revolves around the coming-of-age story of Magma, a less known X-Men character (appearing first in New Mutants). The game features 19 Marvel mutant characters from various time periods, including Wolverine, Cyclops, Beast, Nightcrawler etc. The story is written by experienced Marvel writers, among them Joey Casey, Steven Seagle and more.

Oh, yeah, we decided to combine the Star Wars and X-Men licenses, we figured they're both pretty big right now, so what would be bigger? X-Wars! Heh... yeah, that's a bit of a typo, there... :)

Originally posted by Toonces

One question I have is weather or not some type of support could be added for custom, or non-humanoid skeletions? I'm coming completely from an artists perspective, and not a programer, so It may not be possible, but one of the things I always wanted to add was some custom animations for my models. (flowing tenticles, more realistic clothing)

Well, you should already be able to do that. The problem was trying to add animations to the humanoid skeleton. You can make your own skeletons, but rebuilding our skeleton with your animations in them wasn't working. At this point, I'm not sure whether this will be improved in this game, but I promise I'll be looking into it as we get closer to being done. Right now, we're just trying to hit our milestones.

Originally posted by Toonces

Also, any chance of seeing a "ragdoll" type physics system implemented?

That's a definite "maybe". ;)

As long as we're making suggestions/comments: include an objective based game, not unlike UT's Assault mode.

I know that JK2 had an undocumented 'saga' mode, but it was just that, undocumented. Please please please support and even release maps of this type for this new game.

Originally posted by matt-windu

As long as we're making suggestions/comments: include an objective based game, not unlike UT's Assault mode.

I know that JK2 had an undocumented 'saga' mode, but it was just that, undocumented. Please please please support and even release maps of this type for this new game.

We are planning on adding one entirely new MP game type, but we're not discussing it right now...

I agree. The only reason why Saga didn't take off was because the mappers didn't support the format because Saga hadn't taken off. :D

I think the big thing is to fix all the known bugs in the code and try to get LEC to let you guys release patches until the thing is actually bugfree instead of a mostly bugfree state like 1.04. I understand that the legal stuff is a big red tape machine but it's not like you didn't have to fix the bugs in preparation for JK3!

Also, I know that LEC is pushing for a simplistic saber system but it would be nice to have something more involving than the current JK2 system.

Along the same lines, REAL saber collisions in MP is very important. The whole "defensive" saber = big box isn't very realistic or involving. I know it's fixable if you put some work into it (like I am doing on my own). :)

Originally posted by CanadianSurfer

Yes, will previous maps be implemeted in the game? Also, the new maps; are they going to be bigger? better? better FPS playing on them?

You should still be able to play previous maps, yes. Though the new game type will, obviously, require new maps.

Will the new maps be bigger? Some, yes, others, probably about the same.

Better? Sure.

Better FPS? Well, if you have a better computer, sure, maybe. But if the map is bigger and better, chances are it won't run any faster than old maps did (unless, like I said, you have a better computer now or you turn down detail settings, etc.)

Along these lines, I'm keeping in mind that a lot of people have made a lot of custom player and saber models and I want to make sure that those are still usable in the new game. Unfortunately, to optimize some things and to add certain features (and to make it more mod-friendly), we did make some changes to the model format. I want to try to make sure we release the details about what model-makers need to do to get their JK2 custom models to work in the new game (including, if necessary, releasing some tools a little early to make it so that modders can have their custom models ready-to-play by the time the game hits the shelves).

dear god yes. SO YES. I love you guys so much.

The main thing I'm worried about is current JK2 singleplayer projects in the works. (notably my own, which is in its infancy, Sine Nomen's nar shaddaa level (which is amazing.. I love sine), and AKPiggott's equally fantastic Party Crasher. (What else would you expect from Piggott?! :))

Will we be able to a.) port existing JK2 levels to "JK3", and b.) be able to either disable, or at least specify settings for, the player's character, thus allowing us greater control over storytelling?

Oh, and just an offhand question, are you guys using an updated version of sof2map, a new compiler, or the vaunted (and my personal favorite) q3map2? (I'd assume you'd prefer an in-house binary, as it'd give you more control over.. well.. everything...)

I must learn 3ds max, maya, or something, as well as become familiar with scripting languages... definitely going to need to get me a job in a little over a year, and I'm praying to the gaming gods it can be in the industry... *sigh* So much stuff, so little time!

Originally posted by AlzWisHum

I thought I was talking with a fellow sw developer, I was only hoping it wasn't an exploited one. :D

Well, probably not exploited, but lets just say it has been tough times in the telecom sector :(

I agree with you.

The good thing most people always end up realizing it isn't really worth it, until they find their most productive state of mind, if you know what I mean.

The younger programmers that usually stay up late in their works, are either the ones that are swept away by it's own ideas, or in the second sorry lifestyle you described, with their heads in how cozy their homes are.

Now that my fiance and I have a house, there is less time for those late work nights :)

But we're not talking with you Raven guys, now back to work! Or there will be no muffins for you. ;):p

Mmmm. Muffins!!

Anyway, cheers so a fellow software developer!

:guiness:

I want to try to make sure we release the details about what model-makers need to do to get their JK2 custom models to work in the new game (including, if necessary, releasing some tools a little early to make it so that modders can have their custom models ready-to-play by the time the game hits the shelves).

That's excellent to hear, cause I really want to see some maps/mods available in JK3 that people have gotten accustomed to in JK2.

I don't think this is an April Fools joke. The lead programmer just came on and answered many questions. Just cut that stuff out.

Archived