Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

Wow, I'm very excited about this new game!

Hey Mike, maybe you remember me. I'm the guy who likes very much first person lightsaber. I think it would not be too difficult this time to include this POV from the beginning also in MP. Maybe you can use some ideas from the Master of the Force Mod (trueview). Can you confirm us First Person Lightsaber is a feature? I can't think one sole reason it has to be taken out.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now wait a second. While I'd like to have some of MotF's features in JK3, I can't just have Raven jacking my stuff without compensation. For say...a job (maybe as an intern or something) I'd be perfectly willing to code in all my stuff into JK3. I can dream. :D

cool bananas!

i havent posted in this forum for a while, but jk3 is pretty big news

a couple of questions,

1. Will the saber combat be consistant between SP and MP? jk2 SP duels were wiked fun, but MP duels were just hackfests where u just went nuts on the other guy.

2. Will the models still be poly-based? Ive seen the matrix game has patches for the models, which allow lots more detail that is very scalable. Also, what formats (if any) will be changed for the new game? (maps/textures/models/sounds etc etc)

3. Ive read that SP has a mission based gameplay, where the story is non-linear and the player has the choice to go on whatever mission they want, is this correct? If so, will be player be able to explore a 'concourse' back at home base and interact with NPCs?

Cheers for the truly great news. Take your time on the game, dont rush it, make it spectactular :)

That is a good subject you bring up Nemios. I am one of those people who enjoy playing the game entirely in the first person view. I think it adds to the overall immersion into the game. Some guys say you die easier because you can't see everything but I don't care. By the way, will this game be widescreen compatible? That would be cool if you could play in a 16:9 aspect ratio, that way you could see more of what's going on.

Also I have made many modifications to JK2 to make it so that i will enjoy it to the fullest. Now will i have to modify my old files to accomodate the new game (ie. saber sounds)? Or will they work with the new game? I think it would save a lot of time (and bandwith) if we didn't have to redo and reupload and download different versions of the same files.

Oh yeah by the way, that's some great work there, you guys at Raven are doing an awesome job. I can honestly say that Jedi Outcast is my favorite game of all time and just when i thought it couldn't get any better, you guys surprise me yet again. You have fulfilled a long time fantasy that has brought me the closest to being a jedi. Thanks for everything.

Originally posted by razorace

Now wait a second. While I'd like to have some of MotF's features in JK3, I can't just have Raven jacking my stuff without compensation. For say...a job (maybe as an intern or something) I'd be perfectly willing to code in all my stuff into JK3. I can dream. :D

lol :D

*looks at thread*

i've been missing something :eyeraise:

anyway, just do what you think is good for the game:cool:

:p

OK to clear a few things up about the whole animation thing

Myself and James Monroe were working on a GLA import for Milkshape and were getting some were, well I was anyhow, I asked for a few files for SoftImage XSI so that I could play around with the animations and see how XSI exported them that way, but I never got anywere, again lack of support from Raven.

Dont get me wrong Mike and James and a lot more of the guys at Raven helped us out a LOT and I am as always very grateful for thier help on those matters, but It was the lack of new Animations and creating new bone structures was the one thing I was looking foward to most, new animations using XSI was even better as I had just upgraded to the new version, and the whole 'I didnt think many people had XSI' excuse didnt rub, I had it and I wanted to use it to create new animations for JK2. I spent a lot of my free time working on it, but got no were.

Anyhow I would like to see a little more documentation with the SDK if there will be any for either SP or MP and more tools for those of us who dont map but model and animate things.

Now I do hope that we get full support for porting everything we have created in JK2 into JK3 I have a feeling that it will be the progression of the TC and the way we will have to go and I hope that I will be able to cope with both platforms as well.

Lets just say we are moving more rapidly than we ever so that we can get this TC done before October and ready for porting into JK3.

jacking your stuff....might I remind you that Ravewn made JKO and own all rights to it which you used to make your mod so it is you that is Jacking their stuff.

It is coming Soon be Prepared Th RPers will show themselves and our RPG Ideas will be forked onto the world and this Thread time is now...its very close...I can feel it...listen..listen to them calling....

*fades*

Originally posted by Ronin_Medjai

jacking your stuff....might I remind you that Ravewn made JKO and own all rights to it which you used to make your mod so it is you that is Jacking their stuff.

Uh?

At the end of the day we own the work that we created all because the EULA states things doesnt matter. Its our work.

Does anybody know if you will be able to add more models to JK3?

Just for the MP player selection.

In JK2 there are only a limited number of models/icons shown in the selection menu. If you have more models you have to use the console.

This is not really a problem, but since there are so many great models and skins, I really like to see them all in the menu.

Originally posted by Anakin

Uh?

At the end of the day we own the work that we created all because the EULA states things doesnt matter. Its our work.

Exactly, you can't just sign away your rights without compensation. EULA's are just cooked up to make the lawyers sleep better at night.

Originally posted by Anakin

OK to clear a few things up about the whole animation thing

Myself and James Monroe were working on a GLA import for Milkshape and were getting some were, well I was anyhow, I asked for a few files for SoftImage XSI so that I could play around with the animations and see how XSI exported them that way, but I never got anywere, again lack of support from Raven.

Dont get me wrong Mike and James and a lot more of the guys at Raven helped us out a LOT and I am as always very grateful for thier help on those matters, but It was the lack of new Animations and creating new bone structures was the one thing I was looking foward to most, new animations using XSI was even better as I had just upgraded to the new version, and the whole 'I didnt think many people had XSI' excuse didnt rub, I had it and I wanted to use it to create new animations for JK2. I spent a lot of my free time working on it, but got no were.

That's a hell of a run on sentence.

And thanks for sharing this information before today. :p If you got any other critical information like that please mention it BEFORE they announce JK4. :(

Sure, maybe it's a deadend, but knowing what doesn't work helps too.

The problem with the whole Animation thing was that James and I were working on it and we needed to get somewere first to make sure it was going to work, then we would start getting community help, but things just went very quiet, I sent a few emails to both James and Mike and heard nothing from them.

So the animation import/export thing went out the window, with out the dev teams support it wasnt going to move any were.

Great that you come to post here Mike, thx! I see that there's an official confirmation on the Raven website now, so I think that, unless it's one big conspiracy, shich I doubt, it's not a hoax!!

Pff fall 2003, that's very soon, although I will have a hard time waiting for it :) Ah well, I can wait a year till the next LotR movie, so half a year till JK3 can be done :)

THX dudes, don't let the negative comments on using the Q3 engine let you down, it will be great! I'm sure this game will be even better that JK2!!!

w00000t!!

/me is happy :)

The only thing I didn't like about JK2 was the community. JK2 appealed to far too many casual gamers and squeezed most of the competitive organized players out of the scene.

Thats fine, better for Raven/Activision/LA financially, but hopefully all of you can keep your protests and complaints to a dull roar this time so the unvocal minority can enjoy the game for a year or two.

Granted, most of JK1's competitive community was mind bendingly irritating and imature, and the reasonable & polite hardcore players tend to stay away from forums like these; I can't just blame the Starwars fans exclusively.

Still, having played 5 years of consecutive JK1, I'd like at least 1 year out of its second sequel. Please don't act like children, regardless of your age. This is a second chance for the competitive community; dont squander it.

Finally, thanks for putting in the hours Mike. You guys are undoubtedly in crunch mode atm getting ready for E3. Best of luck on all your milestones, and I hope you guys manage to keep the 80 hour weeks down to a minimum. Get some sleep =P

Lucky

PS: most of us star wars geeks are going to buy the game even if it sucks giant donkey balls, so remember: The Presure's off, baby!!

Someone has probably already posted this question, if so I apologize, I hadn't noticed it yet.

MY QUESTION: PLEASE TELL ME JK3 WILL HAVE COOPERATIVE PLAY THROUGH THE ACTUAL GAME?????

IMHO this is one major PLUS to any kind of FPS. Take DOOM, part of the reason DOOM, and DUKE3D ruled is b/c you could play them over and over with friends or get new maps and play them together. Not the total nonstop chaotic deathmatch all the time. If this is not being considered I would hope at some point it would be, this doubles the coolness factor of the game. In fact I'd almost prefer to play a game in COOP vs SP. Maybe if it's to hard to work out COOP with how the environment reacts to character actions, you could limit COOP to a MAX of 5 players or something. This way you would have limited character actions that affect environment to deal with.

At any rate I have been anticipating a modern day kicka$$ game to come out that includes this functionality like the original gaming GREATS, such as DOOM. JK3 would be all the more awesome if it had this, maybe it could kick off a trend to start spurring more programmers to start including this type of gameplay in their games.

Just my 2cents.

-= · eLiTeMaN · =-

So there's more Jedi-business on the horizon - goodie goodie. :)

Funny though: Gamestar hasn't updated the "secret site" yet.

So, let us have another great one, like JK2. I know you Raven folk can pull it off - I got complete confidence in you. Although, if the new game as a whole is even better, I ain't complaining...

Archived