Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

//decides wether or not to have a rant.

1. JK has always and always will be First person stop going on about RPG, if you want to play RPG go buy another game, it aint going to happen.

2. Stop going on about what you would like to see, as you might not of noticed the game is already 60% complete and will be using the same engine that JK2 used. So dont expect amazing advances in engine physics.

3.Those of you who are ranting at people like Emon, Akpiggot, razoraces and myself, stop it, we have been in this community for over 5 years (most of us) and we have grew up with this game and edited it until the cows have come home, so we know what we can and cant ask for, and we know what we are talking about.

4. End of Rant

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gloworm

Something I think a ton of fans of this game would love to see in a JK3 game would be better saber control and a co-operative version of the single player campaign. It would be great even if there was a team play MP version where the actual players used stealth, speed, trickery, to get into a base, shut it down ect. Sorta like TFC for Half-Life. Something I've missed playing JK2 was the diversity of the Jedi's, would like to see some specialize abit in certain areas. And saber control is a must, I'm sure it's a difficult area to create, but please improve on this somehow. Thanks and keep up the great games and great work!!!

Gloworm- its already there its Called SAGA in JK2, its just not been sorted out yet- well it has and hasnt.

Emon

Classic,

Hey, while you're at it, why don't you guys go impliment an entire MMORPG system, Kung Fu combat, Matrix slowmo in multiplayer that defies the laws of physics, and several thousand emotes and new useless animations! Maybe it would set the release date back a couple of days but it would be worth it for us ole' RPGers!!

Dam right

Ronin_Nedjai

will you guys be throwing any goodies in there for the Roleplayers of JKO. a lot of people here on LF and other places shun on RPers and I dont blame them cause there is a lot of whiners who try to enforce their RPG ways on a FFA server which I dont think is right,but If we stay on our little RPG servers and enjoy the game you made for us then there is no harm done. So with that being Said Id really like to see this NPC system be less bugged. If possible could we choose what models,weapons,our NPCs have and give them personalities? similar to ICARUS scripting in SP but for MP. I know this could cause a lot of crap on Regular servers thats why you make it only cheat protected or something similar Im sure the Modders of the community can make an RPG Based mod using JKIII anyway but wed like the NPC things a little more like SP or Bots,but without taking up clientspace. This way we can spawn patrol stormtroopers, civilians who walk around,stuff like that.

Also could you somehow allow the Modelers of JKO to be able to make new Animations for JKO. We all would love to see new Emotes and diff types of animations.

One Last thing could you NOT have the 16 weapon limit in this one that way we can create more weapons and maybe even a weapon class system for RPG purposes....if not that then maybe make it like JK where you can give a gun a diff mode or something where it points to a diff model path sound path dmaage path etc.etc just for us RPers oh yeah are you going to be having that character customizer being used in MP?

One last question can you guys implement some other forms of melee combat such as punches,throws,kicks,and other martial arts type stuff. And Make the Hands a Weapon too so we can get in Drunken Fistfights!

Why oh why, have you guys ever played Jedi Outcast, I mean sheesh :rolleyes:

Also could you somehow allow the Modelers of JKO to be able to make new Animations for JKO. We all would love to see new Emotes and diff types of animations.

New animations are good. Emotes are not. Emotes are useless and should never had been in the first place. However, we the modders are still waiting for the skeleton.

Not going to happen. 16 weapons is a mostly hardcoded limit in the game, because of the fact that the netcode only sends 16 lowest bits out of each 32. To save bandwidth.

It IS possible to overcome the limit, but with tradeoff in things such as maximum ammo amount, no powerups (basically, replacing them with more weapons). And this would make the code much less readable, not to mention that in any case, you can only have 16 types of ammo.

Id really like to see this NPC system be less bugged. If possible could we choose what models,weapons,our NPCs have and give them personalities? similar to ICARUS scripting in SP but for MP

NPC's in MP were never supported and probably never will be. They only take up CPU time and accomplish nothing useful. Besides, if you want it, learn C and add it yourself. I do not think a gaming company should waste time to add a feature that will never be used.

One last question can you guys implement some other forms of melee combat such as punches,throws,kicks,and other martial arts type stuff. And Make the Hands a Weapon too so we can get in Drunken Fistfights!

And how THAT will be a good addition to gameplay? It will only lead to animators having make more work, programmers having to design yet ANOTHER melee system (which they did not do a good job of designing it in the first place) and generally wasting the project's time. You want fist fights, play Tekken or Mortal Kombat or something. This is First Person Shooter, not Fighter.

Jolts Wrote

New animations are good. Emotes are not. Emotes are useless and should never had been in the first place. However, we the modders are still waiting for the skeleton.

See this is devs not moving foward and leaving the project after 2months of release and not helping us learn the game inside out.

AH darn, they should've said the game was 95% percent done, maybe then those ppl wouldn't suggest ridiculous stuff!! And what was wrong with the JK2 saber fighting system?? I loved it!! Stances are cool :)

Yeah maybe red stance wasn't realistic, but I fought with blue/yellow style mostly anyway! When you're fighting me, you'll allways have a good fight, since I will be attacking while they do their 'slow red strike thingy'... Fights can be as dynamic as you wish... And with some new techniques like supahdupah collision detection and all that stuff I don't know sh1t about, it's going to be even better I hope...

I'm more concerned about the double/duel sabers than about the fighting system...

But plz, stop talking about how bad JK2 was and what they gotta improve. JK2 rocked and still does, now let's talk about JK3 ok?? :)

Ok let me try this again ....

Im not asking for them to turn JK3 into an RPG game and yeah it is an Action Based FPS but you can play in #rd person as well,and if we choose to RP in it so be it We payed our $40 so that gives us the right to do whatever we want.

maybe Emotes was the wrong word how about just letting us be able to merge our 3D animations to the Game who cares if you dont like it we will only put it in our mod which you have the right to not download,but we very well cant make those animations and whatnot unless Raven allows us to :)

NPCs Never going to be used...doubtful even says in the Manual to try and Use the NPCs and Map objects as much as possible. Granted it said that for the SP section :p but if we want to use NPCs in MP on Our Servers with OUR mods playing the game WE BOUGHT then who cares why should that bother you?

Thx for clearing up the 16 Weapon Limit Note Taken on that.

The Melle combat we can do ourselves if you just allow the Animations Adding Stuff...I was just offering a Suggestion that not EVERYONE in the SW world Carries a Blaster or is equipped for world war 3.

Noone is asking you to Make New Animations to set back the release date for the ol RPGers We only asked that you allow us to make new animations for the Game....

I understand a lot of your POV. RPers go into ur Server and TRy to force you to RP and when you dont whine like little ***** ,but for the true real RPers I would hope they dont do that.

RPGs should only take place on RPG Servers.

Understand my POV tho. I enjoy ALL aspects of JKO.

I Play FF Guns all the Time and enjoy it

I Play with The FF Sabers all the time.

I Play in NF Duels all the Time.

I Play CTF and try to do all the cool stuff I see in the JKO movies ive seen.

and hold on ...brace yourself... I TOO use Scripts when playing

*GASP* :eek:

But If I also like to host a good ol RPG in my own private Server not bugging anyone then allow me to do so. The Only Reason I do RP with JKO is cause there currently is no really good SW RPG type Games. Sure SWG but who knows when that will be released its been delayed again,and I can guarantee that whenXWG hits stores Ill go RP there and just use JKO for my FFA needs. Im not asking that they rewrite their whole plans for JK3 and turn it into an RPG. Nor make tons of new animations. Im just asking for them to leave the door open for us to be able to do that later if we so choose to do so. The Guy said he is hoping to Help the Modding Community as much as possible. Im just asking that they leave a few things open for us to make our own mods.

Dunno if this has already been covered as I can't be bothered to read all 14 pages !!

Do you reckon its gonna be possible to have force influenced objects and scenery like in SP ? I heard it would of been possible to mod in JKII if they had released the SP source code as well as the MP.

Think its quite an important feature, at least let us pull items, weapons, ammo, as I've only seen this happen with something like adminmod.

Ok in jk3 I want to run around with a lethal lightsaber, that's my biggest wish. Check out the trailer for KOTOR, that lightsaber combat kicks ass. Perhaps short lightsaber locks that last 1-2 secs could be implimented for that feature?

I don't want to have to see hundreds of people simply overusing the special attacks because they can't duel properly, allow sabers to break defenses easierly.

Think of the Mods! The source code for single player must be released, not everyone can play multiplayer with enjoyment (say someone had 56k...or 28k!). New animations should be usable if a new model is created, clipping problems can get very irritating...

Guns and weapons- What the hell is a mine? Just include the detenation device that Han uses on the Bunker in ROTJ. Oh ya..I want the imperial repeater and seeker missile launcher from jk1. It was so awesome when a missile got stuck to an enemy and you watched as he ran around in vain :D

I'll post some more ideas later

Originally posted by {DX}Slapnutz

I still say we should get something with a NJO flavor to it. Am I the only one that thinks this way? Does anyone other than myself read those books?

a. Disagree ... strongly.

b. No, but you appear to be in a vast minority.

c. Again no, but the whole NJO/Vong thing tends to polarize the community a bit.

Mike

Originally posted by razorace

So you're saying you wouldn't buy JK3 otherwise? Let's just say you're not going to have to worry about saving up for it then. :)

This was regarding someone saying 'Ragdoll Physics is a *must have*'.

Let's keep perspective,as razorace describes. Personally I want to slice some stormies - not as the main dish, I just find it a satisfying part of my SW FPS (or perhaps TPS for Third Person Sabering) experience. Is it a 'must have'. No.

People tend to fall into extremes in descriptors - things like 'jk1 is far superior to jkii in every way' or whatever. Keep perspective, stay real ...

The game will be awesome, we will love it ... some already hate it, some have already reviewed it as 'far inferior' to Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault, some are likely already calling JKIII dead (and perhaps have the reason - maybe it was ragdoll physics).

But a few things we know - the basic plot and characters are done, a lot of the development is done. Things will change as they proceed, with additions and subtractions. In the end I have confidence that I will have a new #1 all-time fave game (replacing JKII which replaced JK1, which replaced DF)

Mike

Not been on here long... 2 or 3 days maybe heh. So i guess my posts don't count for much. But ledge grab has been on the cards for a while. The ledge grab "system" used in Splinter cell is great, he does a kind of "turn-drop-spin-grab" thingy which looks really cool, maybe they could use that idea and tweak it up: make it run smoother and faster, in true jedi style! Then theres the fists... I'm almost sad to say it, what with all the conflicting opinions on this, but melee combat, allthough not necessary in a jedi's arsenal is definately handy (excuse the pun). But the fists in JK1 for example worked really well. Maybe they could have a kick move to push down enemies whilst in a saber lock, or be able to jab someone upside the head with the saber hilt! :D

Whatever the case, i hope Raven use melee combat as a last resort thing, if not just for fun! *thinks*... hmmm... wonder how far you could punch those Jawa's with the power of the force behind yer fists!

:confused:

Originally posted by Anakin

3.Those of you who are ranting at people like Emon, Akpiggot, razoraces and myself, stop it, we have been in this community for over 5 years (most of us) and we have grew up with this game and edited it until the cows have come home, so we know what we can and cant ask for, and we know what we are talking about.

Who was ranting at me? I've only been scanning quickly through this thread (a lot of it is MP-related and of no interest to me) and I may have missed something.

Originally posted by C'jais

Dj Chocolate:

Why would a jedi ever use his fists when he has a god damn lightsaber instead?

Beats me.

I don't know ... but I do know that in Artus Mines I'd rather have had the 'Duke Boot' than the zap baton any day ... :)

Mike

some have already reviewed it as 'far inferior' to

Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault

lol

Let's keep perspective,as razorace describes. Personally I want to slice some stormies - not as the main dish, I just find it a satisfying part of my SW FPS (or perhaps TPS for Third Person Sabering) experience. Is it a 'must have'. No.

I agree.

Raven have always used ID software(bless em) engines and I think its great that they continue with this and they've made 3 quake3:arena engine based games. Since they've used it so much they probably know alot about it and can improve the performance and mainly concentrate on the gameplay instead of flashy graphics or raggdoll effects.

Anakin, we aren't asking for anything hard or impossible (myself, DeT, a few others). All we want is to have some more externalized data so we can edit it. It's easy to implement, and could probably be done in anywhere from a few hours to a few days depending on the complexity of the code.

I am not asking for some crazy RPG system or asking for some magical new animation system that lets stupid newbies make new emotes by pointing and clicking. I'm asking for something very easy and very feasable that benefits everyone.

Originally posted by txa1265

I don't know ... but I do know that in Artus Mines I'd rather have had the 'Duke Boot' than the zap baton any day ... :)

Mike

actually if you crouch with the stun baton and attack in the mines it is very effective against the ....thingies....'Duke Boot"??

Why would a jedi ever use his fists when he has a god damn lightsaber instead?

why would a jedi use a stun baton when he's got a lightsaber?

the answer: cause he doesn't have a saber!!! in SP, there will most likely, possibly be places where you don't have one. in MP its quite possible that the class gametype will have non-lightsaber weilding classes. with this in mind, i'd much rather have fists then a stun baton. also its cool in SP to walk around with bare firsts too, but i guess there was an unequip button... but i didn't realize that until a couple weeks ago lol.

bottom line: fists > stun baton

also... if there isn't fists, can you put the unequip button in the manual? and one for MP would be kinda neat... it doesn't sound hard to implement

Originally posted by WarteX

Since they've used it so much they probably know alot about it and can improve the performance and mainly concentrate on the gameplay instead of flashy graphics or raggdoll effects.

You said it.:cheers:

Oh and 'Duke Boot' means the melee weapon from Duke Nukem: He kicks with his boot.

Originally posted by boinga1

actually if you crouch with the stun baton and attack in the mines it is very effective against the ....thingies....'Duke Boot"??

I know ... it took me a while but on my 2nd or 3rd playthrough I got to the point of not unloading all my ammo into them. I still fear that section more than any other ...

Duke Boot - anyone who played Duke Nukem 3D knows what I'm talking about! You use the shrink ray, then go over and stomp on the shrunken baddie!!! Absolutely hilarious!!! I'm still on of those fools who keeps my hopes up and eyes open for an actual Duke Nukem Forever *product*!!!

Mike

Archived