Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by RaptorII

Bottom line, in JK3, what I want to see, is additive lighting (a minor engine change as far as I can tell)

Actually, it's not a minor change. This is something we looked at several times during JK2 and we could not come up with a decent solution that wouldn't ruin the performance of the game (eliminating the "free pass" you get from multitexturing by combining the lightmap with the base texture) or that would have required us to, basically, re-write the renderer.

The entire source (not the engine it self) for the game, single player and multiplayer released.

We did release multiplayer. Single player was not released, but that's not our decision, it's not our game, it's LucasArts. But, I have to say, I agree with their decision. You don't release a game then release all the source for the entire game so people can make their own game for free. That's just not a sane business model... :)

Model animation source and format data

Again, we released everything we could and we tried release something that would allow people to make their own animations, but the process was too arcane and the tools to expensive and exotic. We put a lot of thought into it (for both JK2 and SoFII) but it just didn't work out. Believe me, we would have loved to have made it easy if we could have. From what I understand, we released some info and gave some people the almost 700MB of anim data needed to make their own animations and rebuild our humanoid skeleton with those new anims, but no-one was quite able to get it working.

Guest Jolts

what are the chances of getting support for other 3d software packages like maya this time around? I wanted to make a few models/animations for JO, but lack of maya related tools kind of halted that.

*My bad, now that I thought about what I just asked I see theres no way you can answer that right now since nothing has been announced.

Chang Wrote

Again, we released everything we could and we tried release something that would allow people to make their own animations, but the process was too arcane and the tools to expensive and exotic. We put a lot of thought into it (for both JK2 and SoFII) but it just didn't work out. Believe me, we would have loved to have made it easy if we could have. From what I understand, we released some info and gave some people the almost 700MB of anim data needed to make their own animations and rebuild our humanoid skeleton with those new anims, but no-one was quite able to get it working.

You never sent me the files like you said you would of done, so I couldnt do anything with it.

Anyhow, glad to see you back on the forums Mike,

You don't release a game then release all the source for the entire game so people can make their own game for free. That's just not a sane business model

Does this mean they might release the code?

Anyhow, Im more intrested in the editing tools than the game, what are we likely to see this time?

Anakin

Originally posted by matt-windu

Everyone keep in mind that April Fools day is less than 2 days away.

Matt, dude, Mike Gummelts here, IN THIS THREAD, pretty much confirming it....

Pessimistic bastard you are :p

So Mike, what can you tell us? :)

Originally posted by GonkH8er

Matt, dude, Mike Gummelts here, IN THIS THREAD, pretty much confirming it....

Pessimistic bastard you are :p

lol- only you

If Mike is about this would explain a few things as well, which I cannot discuss about, but this has put the JK3 firmly on the release map for the fall, but remember also JK2 was going to be done before March of last year. So expect maybe Winter 2003.

Originally posted by Prime

You might still be able to find the JK1 and MOTS pack around somewhere. Since you are looking for a female lead for SW, I suggest you try it if you can. It is a great game!

Funny enough, I was looking for JK1 and MOTS only last week (I plan on kicking Rhett's but at JK1 MP :D ). I'm still looking for a bargain, but I'm definately getting it.

Sorry everyone for posting so much stuff about my web site. I'm just really exided about this game! I thought it would be ok because this is a jediknight ii web site and mine is jedi knight iii. Sorry again. Any who.

I hope you can't turn your saber on under whater. That wouldn't be true to the movies.

Originally posted by Lord_Plo_Koon

Who wants to make a friendly bet. I bet 50 of my points that JKIII is real. Any takers?

Who wants to bet? You've heard everything from Mike, what more could you want from a programmer of the game?

And another question, are you positive that it's going to be on the Quake 3 engine again ?

Children, children... :rolleyes:

Read what Mike said again. Count how many times he mentions "JK3". That's right, he doesn't say ANYTHING concerning the assumed sequel, he only comments on the structure of the engine concerning lighting and the MP source code and stuff they released for development for JO. Don't get me wrong, I want this thing to be true as much as you do, but just because ChangKHAN was here commenting on the engine and the development tools of JO doesn't mean it is true!

well aren't you a 'the glass is half empty' kinda guy :p

i'm sorry but with all the buzz & the screenshots it's hard for me to believe that this isn't true. plus i think if it wasn't then ChangKHAN would have said something... like 'hang on guys you're being premature in your celebrations'

Originally posted by Sivy B

well aren't you a 'the glass is half empty' kinda guy :p

It might seem so, but not really. Just maybe in this case though.

Originally posted by Sivy B [/i)

...i think if it wasn't then ChangKHAN would have said something... like 'hang on guys you're being premature in your celebrations'

True, true... Didn't think about that. Thanks for pointing it out for me though. But so far I haven't made my mind up on either option. Could still be true or not.

Originally posted by AlzWisHum

isn't this fall (according to jediknight2.net) a lil' too optmistic?

depends,

they could of started doing it awhile ago.

most games nowadays get pushed back, so i won't be surprised if it was.

Hoax or not, this news certainly got ppl back to their JO :D At least I'm totally excited again :)

But for as far as I've seen, it will be finished in fall 2003, but sceduled for a 2004 release :confused: :confused: :confused: That would be very annoying... anywayz, I want it and I want it SOOOON!!!

hjsw.jpg

I think we need to stop focusing on the positives and ignoring the negatives. Look at both equally. I have yet to see a "screenshot" that could not have been faked on Paint Shop Pro. And the text in the shots looks Deutch or Danish? I don't mean any disrespect but, since when does LucasArts beta test there?

It's awfully close to April Fools day hint hint hint!!!!!!!!!!

I will believe it when i see LucasArts do a press release. ;(

Archived