Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

»Nicht versuchen sollst du, machen musst du oder

nicht machen. Es gibt kein Versuchen.« -Yoda

(Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. -Yoda)

© IDG Entertainment Verlag GmbH

I hate countries where they have a soundtrack in their own language, oh wait, all the countries except the good ol' Netherlands do that :mad: :mad: Ever tried star wars in german? I bet they have a real strange voice for Yoda :rolleyes:

Ah well, too bad the secret site is gone :( I really wanted some good quality shots, now all I have are some crappy scan shots... maybe someone from Germay can scan them in überkwalität?? ;)

I hope Raven's gonna release some screens soon, or even better, a sneak preview trailer!! 60% finished should be enough to show us something :D :D

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big fan of the Ultimate Mod. I like running about killing a few Storm Troopers then spawning Darth Maul and/or Vader and having a cool saber fight.

I've modded the config file to change the siths classes to a lower one so they don't just electrocute me or fling me about, but this has also turned down their saber skills.

What I'm wondering is in JK-III will we be able to define our own classes? That would be superfun.

Well, the answer, with the help of Google is quite easy:

1. Yavin IV

2. Daron Stinnett

3. Mara Jade

And you have to take the second letter of the first solution (a), then the third of the second ®, then the first of the third (m)

Originally posted by HertogJan

I hate countries where they have a soundtrack in their own language, oh wait, all the countries except the good ol' Netherlands do that.

Shows what you know. WE ain't got no Finnish soundtracks in the movies here! (Except for the kids' cartoons.) We got the OG ones over here.

Heil changkahn, programmer!

I just wonder if the blocking will b manual or automatic as in jk2.

I think its great Raven is making jk3, I cant think of any other company which is better suited 4 this job than em (except for maybee monolith ;) ).

Raven got a little personal tendense, they cant stop making those exaggerated death animations! lol

My friends and I always joke about it.

When we c an exaggerated death sequence in a movie or something we say "huh, was raven involved in this?" ;)

I dont mean u should stop making em exaggerated instead keep em suffering! :evil1:;)

I hope u'll balance the MP and make the saber duels as epic as possible (and no illogical uber slow heavy stance swings!) :lsduel:

Btw, great post Solo 4114!

Where are the Twi'lek'ears?

When you look at the cover of GameStar, there is something strange: the Twi'lek doesn't have the "normal" Twi'lek ears, but she has something like a Vulcan (StarTrek) or like Elves... If that art is from Raven/LA is it just an error?

E.g.:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/oola/eu.html

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20020618/indexp2.html

But on the other hand, we have:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/bibfortuna/index.html

I always thought that Twi'lek women have the same ears as Oola or Aayla Secura, well, it may depend the kind of Twi'lek then...

E.g:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/lynme/index_eu.html

Sorry, nevemind... Hum... Inconsistency in SW?

Originally posted by Emon

Mike, if possible, legally, I would highly suggest you guys use Q3Map2 for compiling maps.

We are using it, I'm sure of that, not sure what features are and aren't be used from it, that's a designer question, really... :)

Originally posted by HertogJan

I hate countries where they have a soundtrack in their own language, oh wait, all the countries except the good ol' Netherlands do that :mad: :mad: Ever tried star wars in german? I bet they have a real strange voice for Yoda :rolleyes:

Shows what you know. WE ain't got no Finnish soundtracks in the movies here! (Except for the kids' cartoons.) We got the OG ones over here.

Nor do we here in Sweden :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Solo4114

1.) Any chance you can describe how sabre combat will play out? <snip>

We think it worked very well in JK2, so we're just planning on adding more of the good things. We will probably be looking at MP saber combat, though, and probably will try to make it more like SP this time around.

2.) What can we expect from the guns this time around?<snip>

Can't really go into this, sorry.

3.) Game modes. Any chance we can get a list of confirmed game modes?<snip>

Sorry, can't go into that yet. Just trust me what I say that I think everyone will really like the new stuff we're doing in MP.

4.) Force powers. Again, any chance of a confirmed/planned list here?<snip>

I'm not quite sure what's been officially said about this and what hasn't. There are some new ones in SP and we plan on tweaking the ones from JK2. We don't want to go overboard, though, and have 50,000 force powers to choose from, that would just be unweildy in an action game, so don't expect a whole bunch of new force powers. Besides, if you make too many force powers, they start to stretch credibility and either become silly or redundant. I'd rather keep a managable number and just make them useful and cool.

5.) This is likely a legal issue, but will we be receiving a test/beta/pre-release demo of SP and MP?...<snip>

Sorry, no idea, that's up to LucasArts, really.

Originally posted by Emon

Dark Forces...

Jedi Knight / Mysteries of the Sith...

Thief I...

Thief II...

Deus Ex...

Elite Force...

All the X-Wing games...

Doom...

all C&C and Red Alert games...

Warcraft...

Starcraft...

Ghost Recon...

Are you saying all of those games released the SP source code (I know we did, eventually, for EF, but don't know about any of the others)? Most of those, I imagine, are content mods with heavy scripting. People can do the same with JK2.

Believe me, I'm not taking an anti-mod stance, here, I just don't think that releasing our SP code would have been a great idea. Especially since games with a strong theme like EF and JK2 generally don't get heavily modded. Most mods are for games with a more generic "flavor" and the mods are usually heavily-themed (think the Star Wars, Simpsons and Aliens mods for Doom, Quake, etc.) Raven games (for whatever reason), just don't have a history of being heavily modded, even when we do release the source code. Ideally, yes, it would have been nice to have more externalized data, but if it's between that and finishing the actual game features by the release date, I imagine we'd be expected to finish the game... :/

Originally posted by Bacon00

...I get real sick of having to enter "saberrealistic_blablabla" every time I load up the game!<snip>

Add the command to your command line when you start up the game (edit the shortcut you use and add "+set saberrealistic_blablabla (whatever number it is you use)" to the target box, after the .exe. Then it will always be on when you run the game.

Originally posted by Archonon

1) The most important question I suppose is what kind of system requirements should we expect to fully enjoy JK3?

Sorry, I don't know yet, game isn't *quite* done, yet... :)

2) I'd love to be able to fight alongside other Jedi.

Well, EF was a team-based game, Jedi, traditionally, is not. You did fight alongside Rebels and Jedi at the end of JK2, though. We don't plan on changing that this game. You will, occasionally, fight alongside others, but it's not going to be a standard feature of every mission.

3) any chance that this game might feature more Jedi-like clothing in the options? What I mean is clothing resembling that seen worn by Anakin and other Jedi in Ep2

Well, it's hard to say what Jedi wear in the post-ROTJ era. Suffice to say, there will be a variety of clothing to choose from.

4) I noticed in one of the screens of the Twi'lek Jedi using 2 sabers that one of her sabers was backwards in her hand, meaning new fighting animations. Will characters that use the double bladed saber have new animations so they use that weapon with both hands instead of one? Fighting more like Darth Maul did in Ep1.

Definitely (I would have thought that would have been assumed), it would look kind of silly to be playing the old anims with 2 sabers or a saber staff... :)

5) Do you have any idea if this game will have MP by TCP/IP connections like the original JK? Or will MP be again restricted to game rooms and MP gaming sites?

JK2 was never restricted to game rooms and MP gaming sites, this game will be the same.

Originally posted by MonkyCheeky

I'm a big fan of the Ultimate Mod. I like running about killing a few Storm Troopers then spawning Darth Maul and/or Vader and having a cool saber fight.

I've modded the config file to change the siths classes to a lower one so they don't just electrocute me or fling me about, but this has also turned down their saber skills.

What I'm wondering is in JK-III will we be able to define our own classes? That would be superfun.

Not sure if you mean in SP or MP, but in either cases, I would say "yes".

Can you confirm / deny if the RMG technology from SoFII will be implemented in JKIII? Even to say 'absolutely no', or 'cannot say yes or no' would be more than sufficient to end my curiousity for a while ...

[enjoying various tidbits from Chang]

... oh, no ... here begins another 6 month adventure nibbling tidbits of info ;) Oh, well ... JKII was well worth it, and from what I already know, JKIII will be worth it as well.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Can you confirm / deny if the RMG technology from SoFII will be implemented in JKIII? Even to say 'absolutely no', or 'cannot say yes or no' would be more than sufficient to end my curiousity for a while ...

I can say I absolutely, positively, without-a-doubt... don't know, sorry. :)

Mike, can you explain to me how the single saber won't turn obsolete once you get the much cooler, and way more lethal, doublesaber and dual sabers?

I mean, is there some drawback to using the two other kinds of sabers compared to the single one? Like not being able to use the force or something like that?

Unless the single saber gets a boost like a really good stance (or something to that effect), I think people are only going to see Jedis with double sabers running around in multiplayer.

Since you've been active in the thread, ChangKhan, I was wondering on a certain aspect of the sequel: Since this IS a Jedi Knight -game, we're obviously gon' see Kyle, maybe some others from the previous installment. What I was thinking abous was that are the same voice actors used? I realize that you might not know (yet), but hey, a guy can always ask. Furthermore, since you'll be havin' different races to choose from (speculations go as high as five), does this mean that there will be different recordings for each race? Or are you gonna get away with it sneakily by, for instance, making all the selectable characters female (non-wookie) characters?

(P.S. What I found weird around the time SoF 2 and JO came out: I never played the full game myself, but I heard that Mark Hamill was a voice actor in SoF 2. Yet, he wasn't in Jedi Outcast as Luke. I know, this is probably connected to the fact that the games had different publishers, but still it was funny.)

Posted by C'jais

Mike, can you explain to me how the single saber won't turn obsolete once you get the much cooler, and way more lethal, doublesaber and two sabers?

I mean, is there some drawback to using the two other kinds of sabers compared to the single one? Like not being able to use the force or something like that?

From this C&VG article -

Wielders of a double-ended lightsaber will be able to snuff one end to gain speed increase in combat, while those who master the art of dual-wielding will be able to fling one lightsaber at enemies while retaining the other in the hand. With this in mind, it's no surprise to learn that the action in Jedi Knight III is heavily skewed toward lightsaber combat.
I think Raven have got the balancing of the different styles well in hand - C&VG are usually very reliable, and I trust Raven :D

Originally posted by Squater

Nor do we here in Sweden :rolleyes:

Haha yes OK, that's good for you :) I was just pointing out that too many countries do that and it's really annoying :D I didn't literally mean ALL countries do that, I was being sarcastic, since I hate german Yoda voices ;)

Bwah this is soo off topic :)

Oh, a question: Will you start with your lightsaber this time?? Or do you start with guns only like JK2?? Seems to me that as a Jedi Padawan, you'll start with the same skills that you had after the yavin_trial map...

Oh and BTW, I don't agree that this isn't a real 'sequel'. Yeah Kyle is the main character, but if you continue with him, you'll either begin as a fully trained Jedi, or make up another story about Kyle stopping with the Force business and then picking it up again when he faces yet another dark jedi and he again needs his force skills...

SO I really like this fresh new start... I hope Kyle and Jan play a role though!

Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy

From this C&VG article -

I think Raven have got the balancing of the different styles well in hand - C&VG are usually very reliable, and I trust Raven :D

That's all fine and good Wacky, but it only proves that the double/dual saber are going to be way overpowered compared to a single saber.

I want to fight with a single saber dammit.

Ok then, let's just assume they make multiplayer weighted towards double and dual sabers, with no real reason for taking the single saber - how do you think we're going to control the saber battles then? We all know how pathetic it looks in those mods - two loonies flailing madly at each other until one of them loses.

Well hey, if the dualblade and dual sabers are going to be more powerful...perhaps it will force the single saber people to have to rely on skill rather than random blocking. You know, just moving the mouse around and autoblocking everything. I personally can't wait to use a double-bladed lightsaber...WOOOO! :)

Posted by C'jais

That's all fine and good Wacky, but it only proves that the double/dual saber are going to be way overpowered compared to a single saber.

But handicapped in some ways, too - quite possibly by more restricted movement...

I want to fight with a single saber dammit.
You and me both, my friend :)

Ok then, let's just assume they make multiplayer weighted towards double and dual sabers, with no real reason for taking the single saber - how do you think we're going to control the saber battles then? We all know how pathetic it looks in those mods - two loonies flailing madly at each other until one of them loses.
LOL

We'll see ;)

I liked the way they implemented the two sabers in EPII: only a few seconds. I really hope a single saber will have many advantages over the duel/double sabers. The double bladed saber looked cool, I don't have many problems with that one, you have to use two hands to weild it so it's disadvantage is clear. But using 1 saber to throw and another one to fight/block :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived