Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

Eh, I'd rather go ahead and agree with Emon about ragdoll physics. I don't think they'd be useless at all. He's probably right about those types of physics...ragdoll...creating sabre rebounds and whatnot on the fly. It WOULD make things more interesting, and also significantly lower the COUNT of animations needed in the game. You could also use it to toss enemies around like...well...RAGDOLLS!! :) :)

I'm off to dye my hair crimson, now. If I don't post in 40 minutes, someone come in after me! ;)

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Emon

Okay, now get it to work with per-vertex physics. ;)

Now that's something that above my abilities. Sides, I don't think Raven could do it for JK3 either. Assuming they want a release date sometime in the next couple of years. :)

Until I see official word from Lucasarts.com I won't believe it. I think it is all internet rumors and fan speculation brought on by a German magazine who has no connection to Lucasarts at all. Lucasarts has kept hush hush about developments and new projects. First time you will officially hear it is usually on http://www.lucasarts.com. The official star wars video games website. Plus, they definitely haven't released any information on Lucasarts Insider, their official online newsletter. It is just like the Star Wars PC game, Galactic Battlegrounds 2. Lucasarts hasn't mentioned anything about that or Rogue Squadron 3.

Why would a German magazine be the only one with the article, etc.? I haven't seen any U.S. gaming magazines that have printed anything on it. I think this is made up by the German magazine writers and editors. There is no way it could come out that fast. It takes around 2 years to make a video game because they have to make sure there aren't bugs in it.

I think a small, 'hole' should be left in the features to the point coders can add there own stuff that would otherwise take to long in the game development process to be sorted out. Grass and sand being blown about from a walker moving would take long amounts of time for a class B or C feature. Instead, by leaving a gap that coders can add, not to the engine but a modding source code, what isn't able to be finished before the producer rips the stuff out of your hands can later beimplanted by the community. I don't believe any game has had this and you'll always want to rack up those 'first' in features/engine capibilities.

I want to still follow the storyline of the other 3 Dark Forces series. Kyle Katarn and the Empire are essestial for Jedi Knight III or I would not buy it. I have heard ridiculous storylines about it not using Kyle Katarn or the baddies aren't the Empire they are the Vong from the New Jedi Order series. I just think it wouldn't be Jedi Knight with out in the empire.

Originally posted by Emon

Dark Cloak, my idea of the complex physics isn't what's wrong, it was the use of the term "ragdoll physics" since that's supposed to be for ragdoll models when the player is dead.

Nooo no babe. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. I was agreeing with you about what you said...physics creating saber rebounds and such; not needing an animation for each way a saber hit. ;) I know about the rest of what ragdoll physics is. The ragdoll, rather...speaking of which...*cough* Havoc Engine! *cough*

juat because i "think" it is essential doesn't mean i'm not buying the game. As son as i can get to the store when it comes out i'm getting it. I just always thought it would look cool when u saw a dead body to pull it and it slam into the pillar behind u and u hear the body crack as it hits the pillar and u hear bone crunching as the limp body raps halfway around the pillar them falls to the floor in a lifeless heap. Or shootin it with a missle and watch it fly across the room in 3 ot 4 pieces. or shoot it with a blaster and watch a bolt hit the shoulder and the body would bounce back a bit. But i'm guessing i better not get my hopes up cause technology that advanced probably won't be coming out for a while (well the part with the hitting of the shoulder atleast:rolleyes: )

Yeah, that would actually be pretty cool...if not a tad too realistic. HOWEVER...there could be a violence meter. You could tone the violence down...accept for the fact that Star Wars isn't a hack and slash universe filled with gore and guts. I want to make a computer game like that...a vampire/demon hunting simulator...eh...but I'll never do it. Don't know enough. I'm already 20 and I don't know enough programming. ;)

Originally posted by map maker 101

juat because i "think" it is essential doesn't mean i'm not buying the game.

When you say "essential" and "must have" that implies that you think the game isn't worth it without those features. I suggest you change your wording or you'll be sending the wrong mesage to Raven and LEC. :)

You see, I believe that it would be a beautiful sort of...tac-on to the engine for JK3. But that doesn't mean the game won't kick complete, utter butt just because it might not be in there. Hell...I don't NEED ragdoll physics in a game to like it. It'd just be really cool. ;) Plenty of games, Jedi Knight II for example...don't NEED ragdoll physics to be amazing. It'd just be nice. HOWEVER...if implementing physics code like that would push back the date of a game that I'm fairly sure will be awesome with OR without R.P...well that would just suck. ;)

[edit] And since I just read my post and realized it made NO sense...I'm going to bed because I'm obviously too tired to think. Nini.

Hey ChangKhan[RAVEN]

will you guys be throwing any goodies in there for the Roleplayers of JKO. a lot of people here on LF and other places shun on RPers and I dont blame them cause there is a lot of whiners who try to enforce their RPG ways on a FFA server which I dont think is right,but If we stay on our little RPG servers and enjoy the game you made for us then there is no harm done. So with that being Said Id really like to see this NPC system be less bugged. If possible could we choose what models,weapons,our NPCs have and give them personalities? similar to ICARUS scripting in SP but for MP. I know this could cause a lot of crap on Regular servers thats why you make it only cheat protected or something similar Im sure the Modders of the community can make an RPG Based mod using JKIII anyway but wed like the NPC things a little more like SP or Bots,but without taking up clientspace. This way we can spawn patrol stormtroopers, civilians who walk around,stuff like that.

Also could you somehow allow the Modelers of JKO to be able to make new Animations for JKO. We all would love to see new Emotes and diff types of animations.

One Last thing could you NOT have the 16 weapon limit in this one that way we can create more weapons and maybe even a weapon class system for RPG purposes....if not that then maybe make it like JK where you can give a gun a diff mode or something where it points to a diff model path sound path dmaage path etc.etc just for us RPers oh yeah are you going to be having that character customizer being used in MP?

One last question can you guys implement some other forms of melee combat such as punches,throws,kicks,and other martial arts type stuff. And Make the Hands a Weapon too so we can get in Drunken Fistfights!

Dark Cloak:

I agree it would be awesome. It's just not practical for a game with a less than 18 month especially with a non-engine builder project (IE a team that's planning on selling the engine can affort to do more special engine stuff like rag doll physics)

Originally posted by Ronin_Medjai

Hey ChangKhan[RAVEN]

will you guys be throwing any goodies in there for the Roleplayers of JKO. a lot of people here on LF and other places shun on RPers and I dont blame them cause there is a lot of whiners who try to enforce their RPG ways on a FFA server which I dont think is right,but If we stay on our little RPG servers and enjoy the game you made for us then there is no harm done. So with that being Said Id really like to see this NPC system be less bugged. If possible could we choose what models,weapons,our NPCs have and give them personalities? similar to ICARUS scripting in SP but for MP. I know this could cause a lot of crap on Regular servers thats why you make it only cheat protected or something similar Im sure the Modders of the community can make an RPG Based mod using JKIII anyway but wed like the NPC things a little more like SP or Bots,but without taking up clientspace. This way we can spawn patrol stormtroopers, civilians who walk around,stuff like that.

Also could you somehow allow the Modelers of JKO to be able to make new Animations for JKO. We all would love to see new Emotes and diff types of animations.

One Last thing could you NOT have the 16 weapon limit in this one that way we can create more weapons and maybe even a weapon class system for RPG purposes....if not that then maybe make it like JK where you can give a gun a diff mode or something where it points to a diff model path sound path dmaage path etc.etc just for us RPers oh yeah are you going to be having that character customizer being used in MP?

One last question can you guys implement some other forms of melee combat such as punches,throws,kicks,and other martial arts type stuff. And Make the Hands a Weapon too so we can get in Drunken Fistfights!

that, sir, is what a mod is for!

Hey, while you're at it, why don't you guys go impliment an entire MMORPG system, Kung Fu combat, Matrix slowmo in multiplayer that defies the laws of physics, and several thousand emotes and new useless animations! Maybe it would set the release date back a couple of days but it would be worth it for us ole' RPGers!!

:rolleyes:

Mr. ChangKhan[RAVEN]

Something I think a ton of fans of this game would love to see in a JK3 game would be better saber control and a co-operative version of the single player campaign. It would be great even if there was a team play MP version where the actual players used stealth, speed, trickery, to get into a base, shut it down ect. Sorta like TFC for Half-Life. Something I've missed playing JK2 was the diversity of the Jedi's, would like to see some specialize abit in certain areas. And saber control is a must, I'm sure it's a difficult area to create, but please improve on this somehow. Thanks and keep up the great games and great work!!!

Archived