Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Smoolio Kan

This game sounds great except for one little thing Quake 3, I seriously recomend switching to the Doom3 engine imagine it ohhhhhh a sequel on the same engine is hardly a sequel in my book.

Yes, but then we would be waiting much longer.

Anyway, if Raven have done two JK games (counting this next one), then they might do another. And given that they are working with the Doom 3 engine to do Quake IV, they might then be able to bring that work and their modifications etc to bear on another JK game, thus giving you what you want.

Personally, I'd be just as happy with a JK game using the Unreal2 engine. Although Unreal2 and UT2003 weren't anything special, the engine does big outdoor maps pretty well and it looks nice.

JKIII isn't a sequel, though. JKIII is a whole new game in itself, just being based on the names and ideas of its predecessors. I mean, sure it will have Kyle Katarn, but you AREN'T Kyle, which breaks the idea of being a sequel, since sequels follow characters over and over. Like the whole Star Wars is really based on Anakin the whole time, we just didn't see it that way back in the 70 and 80's. We saw it as following Luke. Luke, in reality, was just a supporting character when looking at the big picture. If it wasn't for Anakin, there wouldn't even be Star Wars.. (Heaven Forbid) *Begins to pray*

:D

my idea of ragdoll would be sneaking up on a guy with fletchette, use the force to like levitate sumthin and have hm follow it, atch him turn around.... then........ BOOM!!!!!!!!!!! hehehe sucker gets hit and flies thru some glass down to his death, or u could just push hi.....same effect :p, and also, raven mike, will jk3 be playable on a 1998 sucky default compaq videocard????? or should i go modenize :D:D:D

Orophin BLueleaf signng out :fett:

Originally posted by CanadianSurfer

JK3 is basically like a Counter Strike of JK2. It's a big mod that will add on to the game.

That's where you're wrong. JK3 will be a whole new game.. New characters, new enemies, new places to visit, new weapons, new force powers, new gameplay, revamped saber system, better Icarus Scrippting, better Ghoul2. That makes one too many features to try and say that its the CS of JK2. A mod, how can it be a mod when the only things that are similar are the sabers and the fact that Kyle Katarn is in it. I mean, its a standalone game that doesn't even need JK2 to play.

Originally posted by DarkLord60

As much fun as it would be to block shots on your own. I don't see how that would work out. Like they said somewhere in one of the interviews they could not add to many force powers or it would be a mess. So the same thing applies with the saber combat system, things would be messy with an manual auto block system.

Plus, the force is blocking them for you.. Remember, the Force controls your actions ;) so it is doing the work for you :) like in the game.

This is all sounding frikkin awesome. But i gats a question- JK2 was not immediately available for the Mac. Any chance it will be for this one?..since, you know, its mostly the same platform or some such?

Not that i need yet another thing that keeps me from school work, but without variety, procrastination can get plain boring.

Chaaaaaaaaaang!! Got a question for you and the guys and gals of Raven. Are you possibly toying with the thought of being able to deactivate and reactivate sabers? What I mean is, for example, with the lightstaff, will we be able to deactivate one end of the blade and then reactivate it to come in for a "kill"? Same inquiry for the dual saber stances. Tactics to trick the enemy! :)

Posted by Dark Cloak

Chaaaaaaaaaang!! Got a question for you and the guys and gals of Raven. Are you possibly toying with the thought of being able to deactivate and reactivate sabers? What I mean is, for example, with the lightstaff, will we be able to deactivate one end of the blade and then reactivate it to come in for a "kill"? Same inquiry for the dual saber stances. Tactics to trick the enemy! :)

I was just thinking how awesome it would be if we could switch between using two sabers to using one (i.e., extinguishing and holstering one of the two), and also using a lightstaff with one end extinguished to get extra manoeuvrability, etc.

I'll be a bit disappointed if that's not an option :(

I'm sure someone will mod it in if they can, though...

Yeah, that'd be great...however, I'm going to be happy just being able to USE two sabers and the lightstaff (my favourite). The other thing would just be a cool plus...I shouldn't have sounded like I thought it was so essential. But it WOULD be great!

I hope Jedi Knight III will be set at least during the period when the Empire exist in some form. All the Jedi Knight and Dark Forces games so far included things like Stormtroopers, Imperial Officers, Probots, At-At walkers, etc. That is what I still what to see. As far as having Kyle Katarn be a big part. I think it would be cool to see other Jedi Knights in it from the period after OT. I hope it has Luke Skywalker and his children in it too.

Originally posted by razorace:

uh, guys. Just asking for manual blocking "button" isn't very helpful to Raven. There's no explaination on how it would work or be balanced in the game.

Oh very well, if you wish some of that annoying thing called "clarification":

A manual blocking button would technically be a key-bindable command, possibly +block. This command would put the Jedi's sabre into a "blocking position".

When the button is depressed, the Jedi can block to the level that his sabre-defence skill points allow, but he cannot attack.

When the button is NOT depressed, the Jedi cannot block, but he can attack.

This would have NO effect on attacking, as one cannot block while attacking ANYWAY. It would, if properly implemented, have no effect on the mechanics of blocking, parrying or knockaways, except to make the function MANUAL, instead of randomly automated. e.g: If a heavy-stance strike knocks one's sabre away when one is using +block, one would then be vulnerable to a strike until one recovers, just as in vanilla JO.

It would merely mean that the Jedi would have to choose when and where to block. That would take skill, skill which I at least am happy to cultivate through practice.

I believe this function would improve the game, in that: It would make blocking as much a matter of skill and timing as attacking, and it would immediately eliminate the frankly hellish bane of the tedious autoblock.

Possible objections to manual blocking are:

1. "Yet another key to press." Well, I've got about three fingers and a thumb free in my current config, I can't imagine anyone else has less. One more key to press? A small price to pay for the transfer from random luck to skill for blocking.

2. "Lag would mean I couldn't block too good if it was manual." Well, if your lag is that bad, you're going to lose anyway, frankly. :p

3. "Too fiddly, too much to think about." Muh, humans barely use 10% of their brain power, and you can't handle a little manual blocking? Puh-leeze. All the good beat-em-ups have much more complex blocking systems, and no console-heads complain about that. :)

------------

I would also suggest to Raven that Sabre-damage be altered in this fashion:

Heavy Stance moves should all kill a 25pt-shielded foe in a single hit, but Heavy stance should also be approximately 15% slower than it is in 1.04.

Medium/Yellow Stance should take two hits to kill a 25pt-shielded foe, and should be made 10% slower.

Light/Blue Stance should take three hits to kill a 25pt-shielded foe, and should remain at the same speed.

-------------

And please. Raven. Make sure the Force Powers and unarmed moves are well-balanced... Then leave them be for at least a few months, DON'T listen to the whining fanboys this time. That way lies madness.

For me.

-------------

Finally no, I don't have any illusions that these suggestions will be followed, nor do I believe they have some divine power which makes them inherently "right." Therefore, while I will clarify any points that I have been unclear on and explain my limited concepts for how my suggestions could be technically implemented, I will not indulge in any debates on the inherent "merits" of my suggestions.

No, I don't know for sure what manual-blocking in JK3 would be like. I do feel that it could only be an improvement over the unmitigated feebleness of autoblocking however.

At the very least blocking should take at least SOME skill. With auto-block, ypu are not in complete control of your character. Imagine playing Street Fighter, except all of the characters block automatically without needing to press any button. That's what it's like here.

If nothing else, at least make it so that blocking requires you to put your crosshair on the enemy. I've blocked attacks from people i wasn't even looking at or paying attention to!

I think Jedi Knight II was pretty good based off the demo I downloaded. If they use the same engine then I would say it will be a cool game. The graphics were alot better than Dark Forces Jedi Knight and it's expansion pack Mysteries of the Sith. Those were bad. The lightsabers looked fake. Jedi Knight II lightsabers look awesome. Plus all the force abilities added.

"I've blocked attacks from people i wasn't even looking at or paying attention to!"

Notice how the Jedi's never seem to be paying attention to every enemy. Supposedly the force guides them.

Remember when Luke put on the blast sheild? He couldn't even SEE the thing, and he blocked it.

Auto-blocking, imo, is more true to the Star Wars movies. Having to put your crosshairs on an enemy would only make you die more often. We don't really need that...

It sounds cool to block the shots yourself, but I'm not sure how fun that would be, or how easy that would be to implement.

As someone stated earlier, the game will be a mess if they make it too complicated.

"Notice how the Jedi's never seem to be paying attention to every enemy. Supposedly the force guides them."

Maybe so, but it sure doesn't make a good game when everyone can do it. It should be based on player skill, meaning the more you play the better you get at blocking, rather than have everyone start out as master-blockers.

"Auto-blocking, imo, is more true to the Star Wars movies. Having to put your crosshairs on an enemy would only make you die more often. We don't really need that..."

Well, only if someone just isn't good at being aware of their surroundings. :)

Personally I like auto-blocking and think it is true to the Star Wars universe. However, the auto-blocking in JO goes way too far. If you shoot someone who is facing perpendicular to your shoot there's a good chance it will get blocked. Occasionally I've hit people in the back with a blaster bolt or lightsaber only to have my attack blocked. I think you should only be able to block attacks in maybe a 90 degree arc in front of you.

Some good ideas. Player location was actually featured on team overlay, its just that hardly any maps actually featured the required entities for it to work. The other problem was that if the location and player names were too long they got mixed up. Something i'd definitely like fixed for "JK3".

As for the multiplayer bonus system? I assume you're referring to all the little medals you got when you did something good. Yeah i'd like to see that as well, a nice "Holy ****" when you kill a flag-carrier at the last moment is very good for building confidence. Of course the bonuses would have to be adapted for the age rating...

Yes, player location features on one of your maps as well I believe.

As for being too long, I guess resizing to a smaller font and a bigger bar or something would fix that?

And yes indeed I refer to all the little medals u get when u did something good. I agree it would build confidence and it would also enhance CTF game as people would perhaps use it and learn to play the game a bit differently than they do now.

Hehe yes a "holy s***t"-message right before enemy gets the flag or almost caps would be cool :)

Some more suggestions:

1) nerf rage a bit, dont make the rager almost invincible.

2) push/pull usage on some maps are ridiculous. Spawn , pull, pull,push , pull and so on. Plz change it to something that at least makes the game still fun to play.

3) Maybe use jump pads in maps, I think that would be funny.

4) Make it possible to view a demo in 3rd person, right now I get the message: cheat protected, it would make better movies I think.

5) If Force protect is going to be in it again, can u make it invisible like absorb?

6) Make the ammo a bit like 1.02

7) Make heal/drain useful again.

8) A little interval in Team Energize. Right now alot of people use/used scripts that auto team heals/energizes. A full forced rage/speed user has too much benefit I think from it.

Ok well just my 2 pennies.

Oasisfan

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

That is a good subject you bring up Nemios. I am one of those people who enjoy playing the game entirely in the first person view. I think it adds to the overall immersion into the game. Some guys say you die easier because you can't see everything but I don't care.

I agree. Sadly no answer if it will be implemented again. I think it will (why not?) but I'd prefer this time it works like in MP when using "cg_fpls 1", i.e. you can perform ALL the moves of the 3rd person. It doesn't really matter if the camera doesn't rotate (but it is cool indeed), instead it is very important that who likes 1st person can move and fight exactly like the others (special moves, kicks, rolls, etc.).

ChangKHAN, can you reply? Just a "yes" :) , "no" :( , or "we'll try" would be appreciated.

I think some people misunderstand Spider AL's blocking concept. He doesn't suggest getting rid of the auto-block, he just wants you to have to control when you would be auto-blocking. From what I can understand, blocking would be the same as any aut-blocking system, but you must choose attack over block. If you're attacking, you're not blocking and vice-versa.

It is admirable that people want to stay true to the movies, but if that were the case, you wouldn't play the at all. The force would guide your attacks as well as your defence. All you would do is initiate combat and let the game take over. The fun in MP games comes from the fact humans make errors. Spider AL's blocking concept adds a little more 'good' human error to the game.

Archived