Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

Originally posted by Fluke

Raven blows. Ken blows. Go get yourself a copy of JK2 and enjoy the comedy of the game such as sabres passing through your opponent that dont register damage(oops, we forgot the defence animations), or how about that sabre that hits you 30ft away(nice netcode)... Raven is second rate. Ken is a over glorified graphics person and his netcode abilities as seen in previous games leave a lot to be desired. You want a game with server side prediction that fails to inform your pc of where a person is, go get this game when it comes out. If you are just really in for a hard on for graphics get this game. If you are looking for any type of precision in netcode, this ain't going to be it. Raven's netcode is a shambles and Raven is perceived by lots as a company that leaves lots of things unfinished. JK2 1.04, still has all the problems I mentioned above. Nobody responds on any technical issues or even remotely talks about patch. 1.04 came out and that was it.

Jeez, aren't you bitter. What the hell is your ping when you play online? With my DSL modem, I find that the collision detection is very good. Saber passing right through? Hitting 30ft away? I haven't had any problems of this sort. And since that is the case, there must not be the problems as you discribe with the netcode made by Raven. Perhaps, just perhaps, there might be other factors that are effecting your online play. I haven't really heard of this problem where it wasn't an issue indicated by a high ping...Have a look in the troubleshooting forum and see if you can find answers to your problems there.

Originally posted by Fluke

Trust me, borrow a copy of JK 2. Play with a friend, test out the above, you will see it to be true.

All I can say is, get JK2 and play it. That's what you can expect in JK 3. You will see the above is all true. Oh and don't buy the game, rather borrow it from a friend. Save your money. Unfortunately I lost mine.

Get JO and play it? What do you think everyone has been doing for the past year? If this problem was really as bad as you say, no one would be playing this game anymore.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why haven't they made (or even tried to make) those sabers

look like they are in movies... ?? why do they make them so

different in the game ??

At least for me the way how they look in movies (especially

in those new episodes) is the only right way...

Originally posted by AJL

different in the game ??

WTF???

What'cho talkin' about Willis??

Originally posted by $am

Sorry if this has been answered before but can you use your created character in mp.

Here's a quote from the Gamesdomain interview...

The first thing people did when JK2 came out was create their own sabers and their own characters. It was a lot easier to do that in multiplayer than single-player, so now we've made it easier for single-player. Now you can just drag it into a folder or update a file and you'll be good to go.

To me, that sounds like you will be able to use your customized SP character in MP aswell. :)

well, after being here all the time through the discussion of the development of JKii i then went around the world and upgraded my computer and it was months after the game came out before i got to play it (so i stopped coming round so as not to spoil it).

Of course, when i finally, excitedly got to play it it turned out to be very average (disappointing after all those scores i had been seeing in mags) with an uninventive story, 5 initial levels that played and looked like quake 2, weapons that were never used, levels that had none of the scale of jk and lightsaber duels that hardly involved much skill or tactics...

so my question is (ED: finally!!) what do you think they could do to make JKiii feel more like JK and less like the quake/elite force clone that JKii felt like? and will they do it?

choosing dark/light side miht be a good step in the right direction...:)

Many people think that using manual block would be awesome and some people don't like the idea at all. If Raven is thinking about putting in manual block, they should put it as an option that you can turn on and off in the options menu. That solution would please everyone, but they are probably not going to do it because they have already announced that they are using the auto-block.

Originally posted by toms

choosing dark/light side miht be a good step in the right direction...:)

You can choose your light side powers and dark side powers as you progress and the game branches depending on those choices to two different endings.

Originally posted by AJL

different in the game ??

Uh, could you be more specific? I think lightsabers look great in JO. Hell, they look a lot better than the do in Star Wars: A New Hope. Besides, there are plenty of mods out there to make sabers look slightly different. What exactly don't you like?

I dont think that manual block wold be that bad, if it was possible to do somthing like blood omen 2, where you wold push a button and the character wold block the blows , anyway i think it wold beat the current sistem were block is a random thing.

I do have to say that the levels in Jk1 were just wonderful. They just had the right feel, and i think very creative. I especialy like the first two levels which took place on Nar Shada They just made the entire place seem hug. Even in Mysteries of Sith, the levels were just wonderful

in JK2 I felt like everything was compact, and close together.

If JK3 can give back that sense of awe it would be nice. In starwars things got to be BIG!

Unfortunately, it looks like Mac will be the one of the last systems to get the release, since the PC got the top bid, then usually consoles follow. Plus, a company has to be contracted to convert the file format to Mac from its digital/pc format. Well, it looks like the New Jedi Knight is going to be called Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. Read it on JKII.net just now.

I do have to say that the levels in Jk1 were just wonderful. They just had the right feel, and i think very creative. I especialy like the first two levels which took place on Nar Shada They just made the entire place seem hug. Even in Mysteries of Sith, the levels were just wonderful

I agree, and the tatooine map was awesome (cant remember the name of it) and the secret was neat 2. I hope they'll make a tatooine village map for jk3.

I would say that Christmas would be optimistic, unless we see something from LEC and Aspyr very soon ... even with the 'semi-concurrent' release of EFII, it will lag a bit on the Mac, and given that Raven seems to use every second up to release to work on the product, it will probably be a few months later.

On the other hand, I think the likelihood of it coming to the Mac is very high! I love the Yavin Swamp on my 15" TiBook ... much better than either of my Dell laptops ...

Mike

Originally posted by khadaji17

in JK2 I felt like everything was compact, and close together.

If JK3 can give back that sense of awe it would be nice. In starwars things got to be BIG!

They were pretty big, but three out of the 4 CTF maps they provided were awesome. The imperial garrison was a horrible map and I hope to never see it in JK3.

Guest Jolts

"so my question is (ED: finally!!) what do you think they could do to make JKiii feel more like JK and less like the quake/elite force clone that JKii felt like? and will they do it? "

1980's Ninja with light sabers and armor.

Sorry my answers have stopped coming, but we're in super crunch mode here and I just don't have time to answer any more... I'm sure LucasArts will continue to release info about the game and I'll be happy to support the community once it's released, but until then I need to work on actually making the game... hope you all understand! :)

I doubt it will happen but I wish you could use Count Dooku's fighting style in JKIII... That would be very, very useful to even up the single saber as it would have good defence and attack so it could stand up to the twin and deul-bladed sabers.

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

Sorry my answers have stopped coming, but we're in super crunch mode here and I just don't have time to answer any more... I'm sure LucasArts will continue to release info about the game and I'll be happy to support the community once it's released, but until then I need to work on actually making the game... hope you all understand! :)

It's all good Chang, we know you've got alot on your table right now :D

Good luck with the project, and if you need another modeler give me a call ;)

Archived