Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^_-

I don't think we'll be able to fight the reborns again, because the 3 last pictures seem to be graphical comparisons between JK3 and JK2. Maybe the one on the JK3 side, next to the padawan Reborn will be the new kind of Dark Jedi recruits or Reborns in JK3. You never know.

And everyone, I believe it isn't an expansion pack, it's a whole new game, because as the summary said, it's on another modified engine, but has completely different features. Expansion packs merely run from the old game files usually.

The graphics do seem to have been improved, but i'm wondering if they'll be good enough to compete with modern day graphics. Especially with BIG maps running on a Quake 3 engine. Sounds a bit worrying.

Originally posted by Sleek

I think that they are comparing JK3 and JK2 (JK3 on the left, and JK2 on the right) in those pictures. But, I can't read german so I'm not positive.

And I think you're right..

Sorry Hekx, this game is probably not an expansion ;)...It's an official SEQUEL. HELL YA! Thanks for those screenshots Hekx, you've made my day man!

The third post of pics is to show the graphic differences between JK2(right) and JK3(left)

the text says:

Innenlevels -> Indoor levels

Außenwelten -> Outdoor levels

Charakterdetails -> model details

There is also a short interview with Steve Raffel in the mag.

~~ truminio

Holy **** they look good - the Quake 3 engine never fails to amaze me!

I can assure you, looking at those screens that this no hoax ;)

Shame about Kyle though, he's finally being wheeled off for someone else. If this thing arrives in Autumn we are gonna have Dark Forces overload. The Dark Forces MOD and JK MOD should be complete. In theory, by Christmas we could be playing all 4 Dark Forces games on the same engine! How cool would that be?

Here's my take on the whole situation. It's very likely a magazine could have gotten an exclusive on a new game. Since we are getting this news from a subscriber to the mag, it is likely the copy arrived several days before it is due to hit the shelves.

By then, we're looking at mid-week next week. LucasArts tend to update and issue press releases on Fridays. So, personally, I reckon we will get official word from LEC at some point next week, most likely Friday.

But this is all good news :)

Intriguing...

If this is real, here's hoping Raven doesn't screw this one up. A few hints on how to make JKIII more fun than JKII in multiplayer:

1.) MORE GAME MODES. And more DIVERSE game modes. Don't just stick us with more of the same old DM-based crap. That's fine for some, but for others of us, it's getting boring. Try supporting CTF more this time, and maybe, just maybe, give us that SAGA game mode that was supposed to be in development. A class-based game mode would be a welcome change, wherein you could play as a gunner, or force wielder, but not both (or if hybrids are allowed, they aren't masters of either school of weapons). If this is not included, then please, give us some GOOD CTF maps and at least as many as you give DM maps. And don't just make the CTF maps converted DM maps, please.

2.) PLEASE balance the force powers well AND keep them true to the films. HAving people running around whoring pull/push and kick and such gets old VERY fast and really destroys the immersion factor of the game.

3.) Speaking of immersion factor, let's see some more blaster based weapons this time around, and less "flaming plasma ball of death" or "bouncy orbs of exploding death" guns. Try to keep the guns more related to the films. You can still have diversity of weapons and have them perform in a way that sticks with the films. There's nothing wrong with having strong guns in the game, but could we please keep them relatively closely related to the underlying source material this time around??

4.) Sabre combat. Hooboy...if you're basing 70% of the game on sabre combat, let's make DAMN sure that it's done right THE FIRST TIME this time. Towards this end sabres should be pretty much lethal no matter what swing or stance you're using. This means NO UBER MOVES. If you include an uber move that is a quick insta-kill every time, guess what: that's all people will ever use. If you keep all the attacks equal in lethality, people will actually bother to learn some skills at this game, and will take the time to use more than just one move. Sabres should also be able to block, but that blocking should depend on which stance is being used, how you're moving, and perhaps how skilled you are in that stance. At the very least, let's NOT have the random blocking from JKII. Take a look at ProMod for some underlying code ideas. Acrobatics are cool, naturally, but please, no stupid backstab crap, no DFA stuff, etc. Oh, and one last thing: don't make MP combat differ from SP combat. If you let us do it in SP, let us have the ability to do it in MP and have the combat systems work the same (same blocking, attacks, techniques, etc.). If you want to add MORE to the MP (IE: these powers are included in MP only, IN ADDITION to the SP powers), that's cool.

5.) RELEASE IT WHEN IT IS GOOD AND READY. Do NOT kick it out the door early. I for one will not buy an unfinished product. Towards this end, can we please check to see that MP bugs like the original DFA bug and the backstab bug from 1.03 are eliminated the first time around? This will help contribute to keeping the community in relative harmony because they won't have to relearn how to play the game.

6.) RELEASE A PUBLIC MULTIPLAYER DEMO BEFORE YOU PUT OUT THE DAMN GAME. When the hell is LucasArts going to learn that releasing a demo can only HELP your game and your development team??? What is up with releasing a demo months after you've released the game itself?? If you let us play the game in a beta form in the MP demo, guess what, that gives you feedback BEFORE you release the final product, and it lets us playtest and bugtest for you. We'll spot all the little issues that you might miss in Q&A because...well...because we're geeks and that's what we do. :)

And here's hoping someone's actually reading this who has the ability to implement these suggestions. :D

Jedi Knight IV is registered by Lucasfilm

Lucasfilm Ltd.

Host Master Host Master

P.O. Box 2009

San Rafael, CA 94912

US

Phone: 415-662-1800

Fax..: 415-662-1639

Email: hostmaster@LUCASFILM.COM

Registrar Name....: Register.com

Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com

Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com