Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

any chance of a jkiii forum? it is pretty impossible to read a thread this big, talking about a number of different subjects at once.

jk had some of the best level design ever with excellent environmental puzzles, jkii had really limited, boxy quake2 style levels with the odd annoying disguised switch puzzle. It did have some cool set peices though.

The reborn were the coolest thing about jkii,

Can we get the stormy blaster put back like it was in jk? i hated it in jk2. infact most of the weapons were useless in jkii single player... or maybe it was the placement, by the time you got a lot of them they were obsolete.

a decent force throw to throw debris at people would be one thing i would like.

more deus ex style npcs that can give you useful info or items would be cool.

much more destructable environments. especially where they can be used tactically (lights and walkways to drop on people, big items to smash and then force throw the debris at people)

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ryudom:

ugh where's spider when i need him. i'm far to lazy to go into detail about lock-on lol

Somebody needs me! My life has meaning!

<Singing>

People... People who need people... are the luckiest people in the world...

</Singing>

Well, here you go, Spider's take on the lockon idea:

I DONUT LEIK IT!!!

As edifying as ever, I'm sure you'll agree. :D

you know, i just spent my lunch trying to think what it was i didn't like about the weapons in jkii... and i realised i can't actually remember hardly any of the weapons from jkii (not a good sign as i can remember all the ones from jk)

anyway... if (as it appears) the structure of the game is going to be: choose a mission, do it, return to accademy, choose new power, choose another mission etc...

then how about a NOLF style bit where you get to pick what equipment you take on each mission???

this could include things like light amp goggles, stun baton (if it is actually useful this time), rebreathers, medkits, remotes, spy remotes, grenades etc...

how about a decent selection of grenades (frag, gas, emp, scramble, blind) to use on varying types of enemy

the DEMP gun seemed rubbish in jkii... it would have been cooler as a sort of beam weapon froze the droid,but only for a limited amount of time.

in single player at least i thought the low limits on det packs and trip wires meant i never used them as i was waiting for a good moment which never came. i think i built up 100s of remotes that i never used as well.

there should be some warning you are to be sniped with a disruptor, as well as a delay so you dont disinegrate 1 millisecond after you step out from cover.

I really don't think a lock-on thing would be necessary at all. Mike said that the sabre combat would be left very similar to JK2, since Raven thinks they did a good job with that. It will be tweaked, but overall left the same.

Now, as for manual block, I like the idea of adding this as an option, similar to the way you could make the crosshair respond differently in JK2 (remember that, folks?). You could turn the feature on, or leave it off, whichever suited you. So, you could think about it like the transmission in an Audi or something: you can drive it like an automatic or drive it like a manual. :)

Oh, one other minor added change that I think would help make the game really cool: lightsabres are unaffected by shields. They go right through 'em and knock down your health directly. Why a lightsabre should be stopped by a shield is beyond me.

As a mod, with auto blocking and lock on, it might be interesting for saber combat, but otherwise I don't think its something JK3 actually needs, considering all of your other incredible abilities.

Hey guys, I really don't want to argue over this, if Raven or anyone else want to put more thought into it, please do. I'm just suggesting that the lock-on feature ONLY work with:

1) an equiped Light Sabers

2) close melee range (maybe 2 - 3 saber length apart).

You can't lock-on with any other weapon or if you are out of range to prevent cheap tactics.

I will admit that I like fighting games like virtua fighter and Soul Calibur. Mainly because, I can block, parry, make someone stumble, dodge left or right and exploit it, counter attack and understand the recovery timing of a move. Those games have a very deep fighting system with fighters lock-on to each other. I understand that Jedi Academy is a FPS or TPS, but I don't see why they can't implement a very simplified Sword fighting system with a TPS or FPS view using lock-on. If you need to break out quickly to shoot the flag carrier just release the lock-on by:

1) hitting the release lock-on button

2) switching weapons

3) move back out of melee range

4) jump out of melee range

5) turn up, down, left or right until the opponent if out of your field of vision.

Lock-on is activated manually, it isn't an auto-lock feature(although it can be optional), so it will only be implement if the users find it helpful in their current environment.

Anyway, I'm sure my idea needs a lot more refining. If Raven or the modding community can implement this, I think it will make light saber dueling a lot more exciting to play and watch.

This may have been said but.....

Lock-On is a good feature, but for one on one combat. JK3 seems to be focusing on a lot more than 1 0n 1 combat, and is trying to get as many saber fighting going on at the same time as possible. Lock on would be hard to impliment if your character were fighting more than one enemy. Doing slashes that hit both enemies at once would be harder to use, and you would not have a good view of your surrondings. The camera would be locked into place, following your "duel", and you would not be able to see an enemy sneaking behind you.

I suggest auto lock on as a feature you can turn on with a click of a button, so you could switch out of it instantly.

Originally posted by Prime

Uh, could you be more specific? I think lightsabers look great in JO. Hell, they look a lot better than the do in Star Wars: A New Hope. Besides, there are plenty of mods out there to make sabers look slightly different. What exactly don't you like?

OrigSabers.jpg

This is what sabers are look like in JO (and they aren't even close to movies...)

Sfx2Sabers.jpg

This is closer (not exactly but closer) to what i think they should be like

Doing slashes that hit both enemies at once would be harder to use, and you would not have a good view of your surrondings.

This can solve this problem by making Force See more of a radar then a glow around your enemy. Then you are aware if anyone is approaching from behind.

Originally posted by StriderPrime00

This can solve this problem by making Force See more of a radar then a glow around your enemy. Then you are aware if anyone is approaching from behind.

You can hear people walking, especially bigger models like Reelo. They make noise when they walk.

Also, if you know how to use the red stance properly it's quite easy to hit multiple enemies with a single slash. Test out new direction combo's with the strong stance. For example up+right and swing, up+left+swing then either right or left +swing gives you the ability to swing at multiple enemies then finishing them with a side-swipe.

Originally posted by Solo4114

Oh, one other minor added change that I think would help make the game really cool: lightsabres are unaffected by shields. They go right through 'em and knock down your health directly. Why a lightsabre should be stopped by a shield is beyond me.

kindly recall Lord Maul hitting the laser walls in ep1 in vain. shields are obviously laser of some sort- how else could they stop a blaster? Anyway, picture a lightsaber cutting through a droideka's shield. just doesn't look right. And besides, then sabers would be like kick, spammed and all. why would you use anyrthing else?

Originally posted by AJL

OrigSabers.jpg

This is what sabers are look like in JO (and they aren't even close to movies...)

Sfx2Sabers.jpg

This is closer (not exactly but closer) to what i think they should be like

I completely agree with you on the sabers...about to say the same myself....please consider this Raven.

Well, I am a good duelist and played jk2 till my eyes popped out :p

If there is one thing I hate in duels, that would be the stupid stances. I mean NOT the stances themselves, the way the models stand in them. They are all same except the angle of the saber! Now look at the Episode 2, the big scene where there are tons of Jedis fighting, ALL OF THEM stands and holds saber in a DIFFERENT POSITION! well if player models do pose different in each saber stance, It would be great. what do you think?:wid::saberb:

AJL is right, the sabers should look more like in the second picture when

they are being swung. That's much closer to the way a real lightsaber looks,

get rid of all, or at least most, of that blurring effect.

MortiS: I agree, the stances should look a bit more distinct when one assumes them.

I'm referring to the single saber stances. I already assume the double-bladed saber

and dual saber stances will definitely look quite a bit different than the

single saber stances.

Originally posted by RigoR_MortiS

Well, I am a good duelist and played jk2 till my eyes popped out :p

If there is one thing I hate in duels, that would be the stupid stances. I mean NOT the stances themselves, the way the models stand in them. They are all same except the angle of the saber! Now look at the Episode 2, the big scene where there are tons of Jedis fighting, ALL OF THEM stands and holds saber in a DIFFERENT POSITION! well if player models do pose different in each saber stance, It would be great. what do you think?:wid::saberb:

do you mean a stance for each player or each model? either way is nutty. that's adding dozens of new stances, hundreds of new anims. Would greatly increase release time. also- is totally uneeded in my esteemed opinion.

im really glad that they are bringing the whole "choose the light or dark path" back into the game. just think how sweet would it be (if u choose to go to the dark side) to have to fight with Luke Skywalker, and kill him and all the Jedi then bring the empire or even the Sith back into excistence.

personally i cant wait, the whole game is looking and sounding pretty impressive.

Originally posted by boinga1

do you mean a stance for each player or each model? either way is nutty. that's adding dozens of new stances, hundreds of new anims. Would greatly increase release time. also- is totally uneeded in my esteemed opinion.

if they release the right tools to animate models, then they wont have to. there would be dozens of unique stances coming out within months. im siding with moris on this one.

u can sort of do that in jk2, if u open the console and type for example "npc spawn luke". but that would be interesting if they were included in the story and cut scenes, for example your jedi partner is killed and this will cause u to go to the dark side.

and i think it would be nice if u could interact with other students in the Academy, u could challenge them to duels or compete to see who has better skills of the force.

Originally posted by Crowy

or your actually a master and you have a padawan!!

The game has already been titled Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, where you take on the role as a padawan under Luke Skywalker and Kyle Katarn. So it is against the Jedi Code for a Padawan to take on one as a Padawan until that Padawan has first taken the trials to become a Jedi Knight.

Archived