Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After about 5 days of reading all of the posts on this thread on and off, I finally get to reply on this monumental emergence!

I guess JKIII (I could care less about the name "Jedi Academy) is a reality. With the screenshots, official LucasArts page, and Chang's confirmation, its secure.

Jedi Outcast had its quirks, but the fact is that it was still awesome. After 5 yrs. (still going . . .) of the JK community fans were reached again. We should all wish the best of luck to Raven.

We are still on Q3TA engine, eh? That is my best guess if it hasn't been confirmed. Easy engine to build on, but its aging. I don't know about the exact advantages of the Doom 3 Engine, but that might just be reserved for the possibility of JKIV (who knows?).

There are hopes and there are problems to fix. Lets see here . . .

P R O B L E M S :jawa

Single Player game

1. Get rid of the common movie locales. One of the greatest thing about JK and MotS (never played DF, waiting for the DF TC to come out :p ) was that people could explore other parts of the Star Wars universe. Yeah, the movies were nice. I saw Yavin and Bespin and Coruscant before. Unless the locales are highly important to revisit (i guess we will see yavin again), leave them!

2. Civilians. OMG after playing Deus Ex (favorite game), JK2's environments that could have had some civilians (bespin, nar, yavin temple) looked really bland despite nice archi here and there. No "atmosphere" at all. Even the enemies looked somewhat lonely ;)

3. Feel. Make some places kind of make the player "feel" the environment. JK's Nar was definitely spooky. Jedi Outcast did the trick with Bespin, Jedi Academy, swamps, and Cairn. Lighting, archi, music, and environmental events (cargo belts moving, ships flying, people drinking, etc.) among some other elements create the feel.

4. Get rid of the Q3 age weaponry. The weapons should be closer in relation to the Star Wars films (trilogy should be a good place to see some nice gunnery). Also, why is the weapon fire so slow. It seems to take forever for rockets to travel.

Multiplayer game

1. Spam. Avoid it as best as possible.

2. Saber fighting should be as close to SP as possible. I don't want to say anything more; too many people had made so many comments on how this should be dealt with.

3. OMG CTF maps. 4 only? Actually 3 because Garrison was pretty crappy even though i owned there :) Get rid of game modes like CTY and other insignificant (in comparison to amount of players in other modes) game modes. SPEND MORE TIME ON CTF!

4. Larger maps for almost every game mode except duel.

5. Balanced Force powers. Other people would probably be better at explaining this. After playing for a while it seemed that every power could be countered with some skill. It just matters how much skill you have.

6. Kicking. If someone kicks an opponent with a saber, the kicker should probably lose great health due to leg damage. Common sense.

7. Don't cater to n00bs. Unskilled individuals should learn to get better instead of being spoonfed with easier conditions.

H O P E S :queen

1. Variety of characters. Comes directly after playing Deus Ex even though I know Raven won't go that far. It is a FPS after all. [sP]

2. Team Objective Gameplay like in Return to Castle Wolfenstein [MP].

3. Non-linear storyline and maps. I hear Raven is already arranging this :) [sP]

4. A worthy enemy. No more Dark Side posers coughreborncoughdesanncoughtavioncough. I wouldn't mind mafias, the remnant, and other scum. [sP]

5. A game where Jedi don't have to find a "deadly plot of evil." Instead they travel the galaxy (maybe even in pairs :) ) helping people and resolving disputes of the galaxy. [sP]

6. THE BEST GAME CREATED OF OUR TIME!!!!!!! Well maybe thats stretching it . . .

Allow me to respond...

Originally posted by JDKnite188

P R O B L E M S :jawa

Single Player game

1. Get rid of the common movie locales. One of the greatest thing about JK and MotS (never played DF, waiting for the DF TC to come out :p ) was that people could explore other parts of the Star Wars universe. Yeah, the movies were nice. I saw Yavin and Bespin and Coruscant before. Unless the locales are highly important to revisit (i guess we will see yavin again), leave them!

Personnally, I really like being able to go to locations I've seen in the movies or read about in the books. Granted, I don't want all levels to be on these worlds, but I don't want them completely eliminated either. I feel that these locations are part of Star Wars immersion of these game. Regardless, IIRC Hoth and Tatooine are in Academy, so I guess I get my wish :)

2. Civilians. OMG after playing Deus Ex (favorite game), JK2's environments that could have had some civilians (bespin, nar, yavin temple) looked really bland despite nice archi here and there. No "atmosphere" at all. Even the enemies looked somewhat lonely ;)

Agree 100%. Even MOTS did this effectively. I don't like travelling around an empty galaxy...

3. Feel. Make some places kind of make the player "feel" the environment. JK's Nar was definitely spooky. Jedi Outcast did the trick with Bespin, Jedi Academy, swamps, and Cairn. Lighting, archi, music, and environmental events (cargo belts moving, ships flying, people drinking, etc.) among some other elements create the feel.

Agreed. To expand on this, I'd really like to be able to interact more with the environments, like being to pull more switches, breakable things, and so on. Even if they don't advance the story, have them just do simple things.

4. Get rid of the Q3 age weaponry. The weapons should be closer in relation to the Star Wars films (trilogy should be a good place to see some nice gunnery). Also, why is the weapon fire so slow. It seems to take forever for rockets to travel.

I also agree with this. I think that you can make enough variations of blaster and ion technology to come up with some cool weapons. Everything from a small hold-out blaster to those big clonetrooper rifles.

Multiplayer game

1. Spam. Avoid it as best as possible.

True dat! No more pull/throw and pull/kick. Try to avoid the "ultimate move".

2. Saber fighting should be as close to SP as possible. I don't want to say anything more; too many people had made so many comments on how this should be dealt with.

Yep.

3. OMG CTF maps. 4 only? Actually 3 because Garrison was pretty crappy even though i owned there :) Get rid of game modes like CTY and other insignificant (in comparison to amount of players in other modes) game modes. SPEND MORE TIME ON CTF!

I don't really play CTF, so I won't comment...

4. Larger maps for almost every game mode except duel.

A agree that there should be some larger maps, but they should also keep some small and medium sized ones. If they make them all really big, then games with only a few players will have them spending most of their time looking around for other people.

5. Balanced Force powers. Other people would probably be better at explaining this. After playing for a while it seemed that every power could be countered with some skill. It just matters how much skill you have.

Having everything counterable isn't a bad thing, in my opinion. You don't want an unstoppable force power.

6. Kicking. If someone kicks an opponent with a saber, the kicker should probably lose great health due to leg damage. Common sense.

I don't mind kicking per se, but I don't like that you can block at the same time and affect health directly. This makes it a more useful attack than the saber, which seems a bit silly. I want kicks to stay, but when you use them you should be vulnerable, and perhaps less damage or something.

7. Don't cater to n00bs. Unskilled individuals should learn to get better instead of being spoonfed with easier conditions.

I'm not convinced that making saber combat hard is the way to go. People seem to think that this will make things more competative. I'm not convinced. If it is too hard, most people will get frustrated and stop playing altogether. As long as the moves are balanced, then the skilled players will be able to use different moves more effectively than new players. I kind of view it like chess. The rules are quite simple, but the game is very complex. In my view, if people are getting beaten by new players, they just aren't that good.

H O P E S :queen

1. Variety of characters. Comes directly after playing Deus Ex even though I know Raven won't go that far. It is a FPS after all. [sP]

Do you mean that you interact with in SP or skins in MP?

2. Team Objective Gameplay like in Return to Castle Wolfenstein [MP].

I could take it or leave it, but it would be nice to have that option.

3. Non-linear storyline and maps. I hear Raven is already arranging this :) [sP]

We are getting this, which is fantastic.

4. A worthy enemy. No more Dark Side posers coughreborncoughdesanncoughtavioncough. I wouldn't mind mafias, the remnant, and other scum. [sP]

I didn't mind the Reborn. I agree that the head villian should be very powerful and tough to beat. But I don't mind that his minions are not so tough, and they attack in numbers. The big reason that I liked the Reborn was because it gave me many opportunities to duel with my lightsaber. I would have been upset if I one had one or two chances to do it. Blocking blaster fire can only be so fun :)

5. A game where Jedi don't have to find a "deadly plot of evil." Instead they travel the galaxy (maybe even in pairs :) ) helping people and resolving disputes of the galaxy. [sP]

But isn't Star Wars about saving the galaxy from evil? I wouldn't want only minor problems to solve. But being able to select missions should allow you to solve small problems while still affecting the big picture.

6. THE BEST GAME CREATED OF OUR TIME!!!!!!! Well maybe thats stretching it . . .

Agree 1000%! :)

Here are my suggestions for JKIII:

1. Saber Combat: Make saber combat more like SP. Also, i think the red stance in JKII was TOO strong. The damage the different stances do, should be more evened out.

2. Forces Powers: Ok. I am pretty sure alot of people already said this, but i'll say it again, lol. :D The force powers, i should say grip in particular, were more like weapons, not force powers. For example, with grip kicking, you can kill someone in one round of gripping. Grip should be modified to be more of a "helping to weaken your enemy" power, then a deadly weapon. All the other powers were alright.

Here are my quetions/requests:

1. I already have heard about vehicle combat, and that'll probly be in SP. But will there be vehicle combat in MP? That would make MP more fun. Plus, the vehicles could be made, so that they would blow up after takin a certain amount of damage, but would respawn after a period of time (that way, u wouldn't have to restart the map to get vehicles again)

2. Pretty much the same thing above, except monsters instead. It would be fun to have a rancor in MP. :D

3. I hated the way you had to make a server in jkii. The whole fact on how it HAD to be dedicated in order to show up in server lists, but then you couldn't play on it. Make it so it will still show up, even if not dedicated.

I am really hopping that they will bring the wookie models into the game cause a dark side wookie would be pure ownage! Or even Zabrak. Does any1 have any relitevly new pics of jk3 not ones that most ppl have seen b4? Will they also be including other things in game where u can stop doing missions and go 2 other planets and freelance like maybe go and chill out at a bar or somin or even go watch or participate in a podrace or somin? that would be really good. With the MP of JK3 do u have 2 import ur player so that itll have all of it force and stuff the same and ull have 2 keep building it up or will u just make a seperate character in MP 2 play with? hehehe sry about all the Q.s but im really interested in JK3 as im a huge fan of Star Wars (ownage film) and JK2. Give me your veiws and what u would like to be included in it. Thx

Ood

Prime: It's not about making blocking with the lightsaber a "weapon", it's

about not letting players get away with these stupid kicks they constantly

try when the other player's saber is in easy position to block the kick.

If a player doesn't have enough skill to kick only when the other player is

open and vulnerable and his saber isn't in position to block the kicking player,

then the player trying the kick should pay a price for his poorly executed attempt.

The kick shouldn't land or affect the other player at all, and the player trying

the kick should take heavy damage for jumping right into a lightsaber.

This is not only the way it would happen in a real duel, but it's also the only

way to keep players from spamming kicks and turning what should be

an authentic duel like in the movies into some kind of kickfest.

This doesn't make blocking a "weapon", it just makes idiots without skill

who want to spam kick a prepared opponent pay for their foolishness with their lives. Which is exactly what they deserve. :)

Originally posted by map maker 101

I just thing that kicking is a GAY @$$ weapon. i think they should take it out or lower the health u lose and distance your kicked. also not faling down as much would be nice.

But what would people do after they lose their sabers :confused:

Please make saber and gunz balanced.

There was a mod for jk2 called PROMOD, it built a CLASS system where u were able to build your charachter forming up a SITH, a JEDI or a Mercenary skilled in gunz. ( with jetpack aviable)

Now after Episode II, people started getting fascinated by JANGO FETT style... and after all, a JEDI most of the time deflect bolts, doesnt fight with other ones!

So i suppose to give player the opportunity to build their own charachter from JEDI to MERCENARY, so they can choose their GAME style and JK3 will be able to give MORE challanges and tactics variety to the saga :p

Imagine JEDI vs MERCENARY ( with jetpack )... what a cool vision :D

I wondered if raven may include charcthers from the movies as extra mp models as you unlock them through sp or something like you could unlock a boba fett model or yoda one and could still have the downloadable fan made ones as well any1 got a few please post :D

Originally posted by Prime

[1]Having everything counterable isn't a bad thing, in my opinion. You don't want an unstoppable force power.

[2]I don't mind kicking per se, but I don't like that you can block at the same time and affect health directly. This makes it a more useful attack than the saber, which seems a bit silly. I want kicks to stay, but when you use them you should be vulnerable, and perhaps less damage or something.

[Relating to the variety of characters in SP][3]

Do you mean that you interact with in SP or skins in MP?

[4]I didn't mind the Reborn. I agree that the head villian should be very powerful and tough to beat. But I don't mind that his minions are not so tough, and they attack in numbers. The big reason that I liked the Reborn was because it gave me many opportunities to duel with my lightsaber. I would have been upset if I one had one or two chances to do it. Blocking blaster fire can only be so fun :)

[5]But isn't Star Wars about saving the galaxy from evil? I wouldn't want only minor problems to solve. But being able to select missions should allow you to solve small problems while still affecting the big picture.

[1] Every force power should be counterable.

[2] I thought the kicks were interesting, but it shouldn't be an attack option. It should be more a defense or a distraction tool as seen in Episode 1 between Darth Maul especially. It should do less damage and also let the kicker be vulnerable to saber damage.

[3] Deus Ex had more than 100 NPCs in its single player game. I know Raven won't go that far, but I would like to see at least 40 turn out from Jedi Academy. As for the skins Deus Ex had only 3 in MP while JK2 had a great, varied amount. That was one of the highlights of JK2 MP: so much variety in MP skins.

[4] The Reborn and Shadowtroopers made the game awesome. Saber battles were always a thrill with them. Its true that you can only go so far blocking the fire of non-force enemies :)

[5] I agree that the whole Star Wars thing is good vs. evil. The fact is I would rather do a bunch of small things to affect the big picture than have to face a really big picture that always seems to pop up. After reading your posts I realized that JK2's plot wasn't as bad as I thought. The first time I played I was actually fooled by Tavion for a short while thinking that I would have to go back to the Valley of the Jedi :rolleyes:

I am surprised that so many people quoted Deus Ex. Morrowind also has THE best RPG system. The game play rocks, but JDKII has the graffics and combat system. I think that Jedi Academy would TOP out if it incorporated the down to earth scenarios/and interactions of other NPCs, not just combat, but trading, purchasing, gathering materials for weapons/armor like Morrowind. I know this is out of the way from what the game will be, but can you emagine a SP (not having to pay 10-20$ a month to play online) Star Wars game that was as interactive as Morrowind, had an easy to use SDK like Deus Ex, and had the combat moves, graphics , game play and charecter/mod upgrades as JDK II? It would be the best game ever made!!! So maybe for JDK IV?

Originally posted by DragonKnight

P.S.- Also the ability to buy/steal/make a vehical/s. Say...an X-wing or speeder bike or better yet...one's own personal AT-AT? Just a thought, sorry to get off track.

AN OWN AT-AT?! :eek:

Are you sure you dont mean AT-ST?

AT-AT's are those huuuuuuuuge imperial walkers seen on hoth in ESB... AT-ST's are those on Endor (you know, one of those that Chewie and two Ewoks, board). Actually, they was also on Hoth..

Pffff.... more RPG elements?? I'd like an RPG JO, but not in this game ;)

I kinda hoped KOTOR would do that, and it seems it will, except for the fact that saber combat is point 'n click AND I HATE POINT 'N CLICK!!!

Oh and SW Galaxies costs me too much money and I don't have a creditcard!

Archived