Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

Actually, I do want two second duels. *If* one of the players is so unskilled

that he leaves himself wide open to be killed so easily. Saber combat should

be deadly, one or two hits and it's over. One hit, if it's a solid slice

right into the torso of the enemy.

But the system needs to be designed so that skill with the saber is what

wins duels, not mindless button mashing, but precise control and timing

of a wide variety of offensive and defensive moves.

But if you have two skilled opponents, then the duel can go on for awhile.

But it shouldn't have to drag on forever with players being able to take

hit after hit. Make it like a real duel, you fight sloppy and you die fast,

you fight well and with skill and you might just defeat the Jedi or Sith

whom you face. :) Most of the people who buy JK III are going to be fans

from JK and JK II. So the saber combat should be designed with them in mind,

not newbs who have no clue how to fight, but loyal fans who have been waiting

for an improved saber combat system for a very long time.

If Raven wants they can put a newb friendly simplistic saber mode in for newbs.

But there should be a serious detailed saber combat system for the serious fans

who want the ultimate in realistic lightsaber combat.

One thing we will definitely need to make the saber duels better is full per polygon

collision detection for the sabers in multi-player, whether the saber is

hitting another saber, or the opponents body. That is the only way to

get the precision we need.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dunedain

Actually, I do want two second duels. *If* one of the players is so unskilled

that he leaves himself wide open to be killed so easily. Saber combat should

be deadly, one or two hits and it's over. One hit, if it's a solid slice

right into the torso of the enemy.

But the system needs to be designed so that skill with the saber is what

wins duels, not mindless button mashing, but precise control and timing

of a wide variety of offensive and defensive moves.

But if you have two skilled opponents, then the duel can go on for awhile.

But it shouldn't have to drag on forever with players being able to take

hit after hit. Make it like a real duel, you fight sloppy and you die fast,

you fight well and with skill and you might just defeat the Jedi or Sith

whom you face. :) Most of the people who buy JK III are going to be fans

from JK and JK II. So the saber combat should be designed with them in mind,

not newbs who have no clue how to fight, but loyal fans who have been waiting

for an improved saber combat system for a very long time.

If Raven wants they can put a newb friendly simplistic saber mode in for newbs.

But there should be a serious detailed saber combat system for the serious fans

who want the ultimate in realistic lightsaber combat.

One thing we will definitely need to make the saber duels better is full per polygon

collision detection for the sabers in multi-player, whether the saber is

hitting another saber, or the opponents body. That is the only way to

get the precision we need.

Sounds like a plan ;)

Despite Kyle being all "by the book" by joining the Academy and becoming an instructor, I think they should still pay tribute to his proud Mercenary heritage.

You know, like on the side, after training you with the lightsaber and Force, he hands you a gun and teaches you how to use it effectively as well and teaches you the virtues of the personal shield. ; )

Because in these dangerous times (what with the Remnant and the Vong) you need all the help you can get to survive. Plus a Jedi would be more deadly with a blaster than any two bit bounty hunter anyway... just look at Kyle!

I hope they keep some of his rogue/loose cannon personality intact for this game. I know they're going to focus more on the saber/force this time around, but it would fit the story and characters well.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Despite Kyle being all "by the book" by joining the Academy and becoming an instructor, I think they should still pay tribute to his proud Mercenary heritage.

You know, like on the side, after training you with the lightsaber and Force, he hands you a gun and teaches you how to use it effectively as well and teaches you the virtues of the personal shield. ; )

Because in these dangerous times (what with the Remnant and the Vong) you need all the help you can get to survive. Plus a Jedi would be more deadly with a blaster than any two bit bounty hunter anyway... just look at Kyle!

I hope they keep some of his rogue/loose cannon personality intact for this game. I know they're going to focus more on the saber/force this time around, but it would fit the story and characters well.

Agreed. If Kyle shows up, that is. I get the sense we won't see him (he may end up being an easter egg). It'd still be a nice homage to the prior games if you could have him show students how to handle a blaster and how to avoid one/defend against it. A Jedi can't afford to let his guard down at any moment, even when dealing with a holdout blaster. All it takes is one moment of laxness and you're toast, force or no force, sabres or no sabres.

It's true, we don't know if he's really in the game or not, but I swear they at least mentioned his name in the press release (I'll have to read it again).

I would think he'd appear in a cutscene, but I was hoping for a mission where he's an ally (much like Luke, Lando, Jan, etc in JK2).

They just better make him really powerful if they do!

I agree, I guess we could use his mercenaries ways in a couple of missions.

but what i'd like for JA, is that the academy reallys serves you as an academy, i mean i would be nice if you coul actually get lessons from Luke or kyle in the different rooms of the academy much like the npc jedi in JO. It would be a great way to learn if you are new to the game and a good way practice new skills you learned, instead of spawning reborns everywhere.

I'd like the academy to be like the agency in perfect dark.

I'm thinking about a shooting range, maybe an obstacle course, a duelling arena, mabe a swimming area.. you could also acheive new levels of force by training.

Yeah, the puzzles you had to do to get your saber were clever (Luke is such a jerk for making you do all that, but oh well...), but I agree, the stuff you saw the students doing was pretty cool.

And it would make sense to do some of them, because Kyle already knew how to use the Force, he just was a little rusty. These guys are starting pretty much from scratch aren't they?

This isn't exactly to do with the game play in JK3, but i was wondering if JK3 would feature design softwear to make new skins and maps with like in Westwood's Comand & Conquer Generals game they give you the program to build a maps wth.

If Raven decide to put a program like this in to the game it would be greatly appreciated as it would make mapping and sking a lot easier.

:)

Originally posted by flaming_wolf

This isn't exactly to do with the game play in JK3, but i was wondering if JK3 would feature design softwear to make new skins and maps with like in Westwood's Comand & Conquer Generals game they give you the program to build a maps wth.

If Raven decide to put a program like this in to the game it would be greatly appreciated as it would make mapping and sking a lot easier.

:)

Well who knows if there will release anything but its still the Quake 3 engine and just about by todays standards everyone knows have to mod it ;)

:Originally posted by Sith Lord13

Well who knows if there will release anything but its still the Quake 3 engine and just about by todays standards everyone knows have to mod it

This is a good point but the tools would still be helpfull to speed things up and to help encorage people like me who have never made a skin or map 4 JK2 becouse the wolkthroughs r complex and they just dont have the tinme to make new skins.

This would then be benifital to the whole community as there would be a lot more choice:lsduel

I agree, something like Deus Ex's SDK...Something fairly simple to catch on to with a user friendly interface. I look at radient and have NO idea what the hell i'm doing. It would also be nice if the charecter creator would allow fighting style and move options, sort of like Freedom Force...but I'll be happy just to play JA as long as I can use my model from JO.

i don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but since you get to create your own character in Single-player, wouldn't it make sense to be able to use or import it into multi-player?

Also you use different parts to create your character (it the sims but with more options and things to configure) so i'd be cool if people could create those 'parts' just likes skins, designing jackets and robes etc

I'm sure blood won't appear in the game, but those German guys will come up with a way to put it back in, just like they did for JK2.

Dismembering will probably be toned down as before, but can be re-enabled through console commands/cfg files, etc.

Realistic damage to the levels might be a problem. I don't think the engine supports stuff on the level of Red Faction... and too much of that and you'd be able to just cut your way out of the universe... ; )

I just hope that they support JKA better than they did JK2, and that they implement some sort of CD-KEY that works together with a banning system like Half-Life's WONID thingie. Like, you could ban a CD-KEY or a "JKA ID" so that particular lammer won't bother you again on the server.

There are many awesome features of JKIII, but these are a few more I would like to see:

- Duel Pistols (maybe)

- Dismemberment Option for MP (making the saber lethal like it is when saberrealisticcombat is 20 in SP:D)

- Jetpack, grappling hook, and optional class based MP games

- Decent SAGA mode (the idea was there in JKII, though it didn't come off)

These are but are few things that could be added, to make JKIII an awesome game (though it already is, better, you know)

CAN NOT WAIT 4 JKIII!:)

Originally posted by Izzy

- Duel Pistols (maybe)

In ForceMod V2 (not yet released)

-

- Dismemberment Option for MP (making the saber lethal like it is when saberrealisticcombat is 20 in SP:D)

in JO MP (don't know the original MOD's name, but SFX2 has it)

-

- Jetpack, grappling hook, and optional class based MP games

In ForceMod V1

-

- Decent SAGA mode (the idea was there in JKII, though it didn't come off)

no, not in JO :(

Archived