Home

JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

els.DarkLord

Originally posted by leXX

All I can say is that if this is true, then this is the game I've been waiting for. A SW FPS where you are a female in the lead role, and a Twi'lek at that! This is like a dream come true for me and I can't wait!

Uh, didn't MOTS have Mara Jade as the lead role??

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it real? the dualsabers and all look like jk2...but they are not playing MP in those shots, cuz there's no "You Killed SO-and-SO" or an icon for the leader. of course, it would be possible to erase these. the rancor is new- but it could be fake. i submitted a query through the "Ask Lucasarts" on http://www.lucasarts.com although i don't think it'll matter. I guess we must wait until 4/1. until then- let the speculation continue!

Looking at the detail and such, and believe that it is expansion reasonability.

JK1 -> MotS = Engine Upgrades

JK2 -> JK2 Expansion = More Engine Upgrades?

Lucasarts has confimed an expansion to some extent, I believe. It would be odd to have the sequal screenies leaked before the expansion. Its a bit too early for a squal anyway, I think.

On the other hand;

I'm 50/50 with it either being an expansion or a hoax.

Theres always the possibility that this is a hoax. Why might it be a hoax? I've seen some 3DS works with similar lighting and such as these shot. Look at the magazine.. Sence when do germans get all the dirt on american companies before we do? Also, looking at the date for the video release here... its just begging for an april fools.

So lucasfilms registered jediknightiv.com.. big deal. They also have jediknightv.com, and countless other star-wars related domains, most of which they are proboly never going to use!

This all seems farfeched, I don't plan on doing any dances of joy until I see a press release reguarding *these* rumors on ravengames.com or lucasarts.com

Originally posted by Dark Cloak

Yes, they're bound to look similar because they are running on the same engine as JK2. HOWEVER, I recall John Carmack scrapping the Quake 3 engine and starting with a bare-bones (or something close) version of it to turn it into the Doom 3 engine (eh, don't quote me on it).

Well, although you didn't want to be, I will. You are fairly correct as far as I can remember, he took the Quake3 engine, and tore it down until it was as basic as it could get (or somewhere near that) and began to build what is today the Doom3 engine.

However, I can tell you this, Raven will not, ever, do such a thing.

As I previously commented, they didn't even fix the dynamic lighting in the engine core to work more like you would want it to in JK2. That and the fact that it is the Quake3 engine, and works fairly well as it is... and I don't think they have a talented programmer anywhere near the skill of Carmack, nor the time or money being given to them to do such.

There is no reason from a financial standpoint to spend the years it would take to totally rebuild the engine. There is a reason that people license engines for licensed games, and it generally isn't to spend four years making an epic, but rather spend up to two years making a quick buck.

It was a different story a few years back when the engines were more restrictive of what they could do... but engines like Q3's can do most things needed for a nice looking game, and is easily modified for more complex things without needing to delve into the engine much.

Bottom line, if the images are real it means they are still using the Quake3 engine so, I wouldn’t expect much more than higher polygon counts all around, larger levels, and more detailed textures compared to JK2.

Originally posted by Zathu Koon

Look at the magazine.. Sence when do germans get all the dirt on american companies before we do?

Press and fans at ECTS got to see World of WarCraft before there was the slightest hint of it’s existence by Blizzard, Vivendi, or American press. Mind you, a few days later, Blizzard changed their web page to start off with mysterious images leading up to the official (American) press release, but that still doesn’t change the fact that Europe got to know about it, and see it first.

I’m not saying that these shots are official/real or not, but it wouldn’t be anything new for a German magazine to get the scoop. When TeamFortress 2 was actually was being made, a German magazine and website got the scoop on it, another German site and magazine got the scoop on Deus Ex 2, and recently a German magazine printed the most detailed information about Homeworld 2 yet released. Perhaps they are just more insistent than American press?

Oh baby, I sure hope this is the real deal. I've just gotten back into playing JK II, and it'd be sweet if a sequel were released this fall. It's so going to be the year of the Jedi, as someone stated before. The Jedi customization thing is going to be kick-ass-tastic. That's the one thing I've been waiting for in a game like this, the ability to choose your own character, rather than being stuck with a generic one.

Well these news certainly prevented me from doing any homework tonight. Thanks a lot.

Is it a hoax? I think not. As GonkH8er said, this isn't April 1st yet. And look at the screen shots - who in their right mind would create new models, new animations, new levels and new saber effects, only to take a few screen shots of it and make it into a big prank?

Is it an expansion pack? I don't know, but if it is, it's a bleedin' huge XP pack. Which add on has got a around 50 levels, new animations, a new game code, vehicles, a completely new lightsaber combat system, completely new models all the way through and a new single player mission selection?

If this is an add on, you can rightly call it the add on of the century. Call it an add on all you want, but I'm gonna treat it like JK3.

Originally posted by Hèkx Nòxú

Has anyone put a release date on this puppy? :p

Seeing as they say it could be finished by fall, I'm gonna say May 2004.

Gotta be realistic these days. No one wants Raven to pull a Blizzard on this.

I don't get it... where are the jk3 screenshots? all the links and images were of jk2... it was clearly jk2 modified.. or more like an expansion if its not a mod... it wasn't 'high-tech' in anyway... seemed like low res 1024x1024 textures at most and low poly low brush size models and levels... o_O Am I missing something? Also how is it not NOT obvious that cover is an illustration lol... of course it's an illustration lol you can practically feel photoshop's brushes touching that image @_@.

Urgh I bet this is either an expansion (according to these screenshots or a mod..... or nothing), or well its for real (jk3 screens) but they have yet to come out... or just a dirty april fools which i despise.. i dont see any practical purpose in april first except causing confusion and problems blah.

I sure hope jk3 REAL screenshots do come out.. but uhm i dont know.. considering its april fools and .. stuff..

Originally posted by ryudom

i want total control

And how do you expect them to do that?

I don't know if I like the idea of one stance yet. If they do it well, and I mean really well, it could technically work. If they expanded on the system where each swing is determined by the movement of the model, the mouse and swings before it, it'd be brilliant.

Then again, I think they'll probably just go conservative on this one. Still, I'm suspecting something else as they didn't mention it at all in the article, AFAIK.

Originally posted by C'jais

If they do it well, and I mean really well, it could technically work. If they expanded on the system where each swing is determined by the movement of the model, the mouse and swings before it, it'd be brilliant.

Isnt that a little too mouch for lucasarts to think about :D

they usually copy concepts and put the st trademark on it, though im NOT implying that that gives any bad things (most of the time :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by gigatron

I don't get it... where are the jk3 screenshots? all the links and images were of jk2... it was clearly jk2 modified..

Yes. That's the whole idea of it - a modification on the JK2 engine.

or more like an expansion if its not a mod...

A mod? No.

Expansion? Look at the content of this game. Does it look like some measly expansion to you?

Also how is it not NOT obvious that cover is an illustration lol...

Of course it's an illustration.

of course it's an illustration lol you can practically feel photoshop's brushes touching that image @_@.

I'm gonna leave that comment alone... :p

I sure hope jk3 REAL screenshots do come out.. but uhm i dont know.. considering its april fools and .. stuff..

What do you guys want?

Didn't JK2's saber battles look amazingly spectacular enough? The sabers were gorgeous, even if the multiplayer fighting system was half-assed.

I'm guessing this game will focus a lot on the saberfighting (as said already), and to this end, they need not change much. The surroundings, the dynamic lighting, the ragdoll physics, while neat, is not what makes a game such as this.

Are graphics all that matters to you guys? Are not you satisfied unless each new game resembles Farcry or Doom 3? I don't know about you, but Doom3 looks to be the most gorgeous, boring, scripted game ever made to me.

Guest Jolts

I'm not hyped yet, I see the same bad lighting, the same models recycled with little detail modification of course. Saber handles are the same models, and lighting is the same. Graphically this game won't hold a candle to kotor or swg even though they all have around the same polycount and texure size. Kotor and swg have better rendering engine for lighting and shaders, and that is more than half of what makes great graphics.

First major thing they could have fixed would be physics, second would be the animation system. I don't want to see people floating around, there no possible reason for this anymore in new games besides lazyness on the dev side. The active at all times saber, more annoying or cool? I say annoying and it kind of limits the sound system for it.

For me, gameplay will always come first over graphics. Graphics don't make a great game - just look at Unreal 2 - but great gameplay does. That's not to say graphics aren't important...in the current market, where the bar is being raised considerably, of course they are a prominent factor. Having said that, however, Jedi Outcast still looks perfectly respectable, and if they are tweaking the engine further for a sequel, then it should look even better again.

Maybe they should try and convince the guy working on Tenebrae 2 to work for them...and put in all those nice shadows and lighting effects. If nothing else, this person has shown how far the Quake engines can still be modified and pushed to the limits. The only drawback, of course, is the performance overhead, which will impact older systems and mean some fans might not be able to play.

Anyway...from the summary I've read, and those low-res pics I've seen, it looks like a worthy sequel. I'm still waiting for confirmation, though...

Archived