Home

JK3 seems like KOTR

The Count

ROFLOL! NO.

Firstly, just because you can choose your own characters does not mean it is gravitating towards a RPG style. It is just becoming less linear. Back up what you say with proofs. Don't just say it fool.

KOTOR combat is not going to be good, just for those of you who think it will be movie like.

The reason I say this?

There is no combat. You press a sequence of buttons, and watch the battle happen. You don't fight yourself.

Well character generation is a fundamental to the classic CRPG as KotOR is slated to be. Additionally the screenshots of the saber combat look similar to the KotOR screenshots, inclusion of dual-lightsabers. The ability to choose "quests/missions" but having to follow the general path. Being able to choose a light or dark path. Greatly expanded force power list. Non-hostile characters during levels.

Now these similarities aren't unique to KotOR, but the fact that there are so many is quite interesting.

Oh and nobody expects KotOR combat to be like the movies, its a real-time turn-based CRPG for crying out loud. Like Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2 (most enjoyable game ever), Planescape Torment etc. You point, you click, you use force when necessary, its quite simple.

[Edit: Final Fantasy is a completely different kind of game to what KotOR is set to be]

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

Well character generation is a fundamental to the classic CRPG as KotOR is slated to be. Additionally the screenshots of the saber combat look similar to the KotOR screenshots, inclusion of dual-lightsabers. The ability to choose "quests/missions" but having to follow the general path. Being able to choose a light or dark path. Greatly expanded force power list. Non-hostile characters during levels.

Now these similarities aren't unique to KotOR, but the fact that there are so many is quite interesting.

Oh and nobody expects KotOR combat to be like the movies, its a real-time turn-based CRPG for crying out loud. Like Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2 (most enjoyable game ever), Planescape Torment etc. You point, you click, you use force when necessary, its quite simple.

[Edit: Final Fantasy is a completely different kind of game to what KotOR is set to be]

Definately. This is an intelligent way to analyze the matter. Take notes dooku.

I think its pretty obvious that when someone reffers to realism and light sabers they mean sabers that look like the ones in the movies.

I mean, if JK3 had 5 foot thick, 2 foot long sabers, and someone said they didn't look realistic enough than you'd say that since you've never seen a saber in real life than the misshapen light sabers are prefectly fine?

Personally I agree with the original poster... I think alot of things seem to be more similar between JK3 and KotoR then JO and KotoR. Still, being very differet genres and all makes them hard to be too much alike.

Also, I think that the sabers seen in the new JK3 pictures are too fat. Especially the double edged sabers. In Star Wars EP: 1 I seem to recall Maul have a double bladed saber with loooong slender beams and a faint red glow. In the new screen shots the sabers seem short and fat... With a too dominant glow outside the blade (too dark).

JO kind of had the same problem with sabers in my opinion, though it didn't ever bother me that much. But I hope it gets improved before release.

I think you're nitpicking a little.... look at Vader's saber in ANH (really thin) compared to Luke's saber in ROTJ (big fat and glowy).

Plus the sabers in the OT vs. the prequels look very different (better SFX) especially AOTC vs. ANH.

The ones in JK2 looked just great, though I would like more colors to choose from (and hilts, heh).

i would just put JK3 to be more like JK1, where there was a light and dark path and you could put force points to an area of your choosing. if you added charcter creation to JK1 would you have an rpg? no, how about if you added non linear missions? still no, so while jk3 may bear some similarities to KotoR, they are still miles apart, it bears no more similarities than KotoR bears to any other game.

KOTOR isnt gunna be anything like jk3.... theres still gunna be some first person shooter elements in it... the onyl real similarities is the fact you design the character you start with... oh and you can choose to have double bladed sabers... i personally thing theyre going to kick ass in there own unique ways

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

i would just put JK3 to be more like JK1, where there was a light and dark path and you could put force points to an area of your choosing. if you added charcter creation to JK1 would you have an rpg? no, how about if you added non linear missions? still no, so while jk3 may bear some similarities to KotoR, they are still miles apart, it bears no more similarities than KotoR bears to any other game.

THANK YOU!!!

At last someone got it! Take JKII - which I love - put back many of the missing things from JK1, like exhaustingly long levels, more force choices, etc, and add even more dimensions of character choice and development. It seems a natural migration, an evolutionary path, an excellent future ...

Mike

I guess you're right, Kurgan, about the lightsabers in the movies. I had forgotten how much they changed from movie to movie. Still, I would personally say that I liked the way sabers looked in ESB and EP1 the best. Both had a long, thin, white blades with a fainter glow around the edges; especially for the red sabers. I didn't particularly care for the big fat green lightsaber that luke had.

Ofcourse I won't complain once I actually get to PLAY the game. It's only a small detail, but one that I wish would change (BTW, I think KotoRs light sabers look much worse then JOs).

And I agree with acdfanbill (sorry if I got your name wrong :)); he is right; JKIII would be far more like JKI then KotoR.

I really hope they include the 'exhaustingly' long levels as someone below put it. My favorite thing about JK1's levels was that, with the exception of a few levels, that most of the time you're going FORWARD. In JKII the levels weren't really THAT big. You just had really slow progress, and had to go back to the same area alot of times. That would be truely amazing if they could actually make the levels as long as JKIs, with the same speed and all.

A more accurate depiction of what we know about JK3's RPG elements and non-linear design are, I think, much more like Deus Ex and Freelancer than KotOR. You will still have the first person shooter and hopefully vehicular and maybe even space combat that requires real skill, not point-and-click like KotOR.

This discussion reminds me of the repeated references to "Thief" when discussing the early news about Obi-Wan (and my own references to "Bushido Blade" when discussing JK2).

There's nothing wrong with this kind of thing, but we shouldn't expect a few passing references and a few feature similarities to mean that these are cookie cutter games of each other (ie: don't stretch the analogy too far).

Example: JK2 and Rune both have limb hacking and "magic powers". Yet the games are nothing alike, except on a very superficial level.

Archived