Home

Will we ever play as Katarn again?

The Count

In Deus Ex 2 you aren't JC Denton, the main character from the first game, but he can be a kind of mentor I think. Great idea I think, but yeh if its all different characters and branching storyline then a sequel may be hard to do.

I don't think the retiring of Kyle has anything to do with physical age. He's not that old and is very strong in the Force, which prolongs life (light side). He's already been through three games, and many people are getting sick of playing him. Besides, in JO he mentioned he would consider joining the academy after he came back from his leave with Jan. He's just not a very playable character anymore. Mentor, NPC, large role in the story is a must if they are keeping the Jedi Knight title.

Yup,I got the jan issue...I mean Im not a pervert why would I look at jan...-breath starts to shorten....pulse speeding up...sweat dripping down face- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH -runs away-

Nah you might see kyle in it instructing you,you never know,And besides I never liked kyle hes fat >.>

I don't mean to sound sound negative, but I honestly think that Raven (partially) ruined Kyle's character, and limited the options for having him in a fifth (if you count MotS) game by the character developement they gave him in JKII.

In JKII Kyle finally seems to give up the character that I always liked... They seemed to have gotten rid of the rugged mercenary ("there's got to be a better way to make a living") for hire of the days of Dark Forces and JKI. In those games he was more of a loner, now he seems just like a regular member of the alliance. They even made him become good friends with Lando (what???) and Luke. I can understand Luke, since Kyle probably trained under him for a bit, but Lando, come on... They only had him in because they could get Billy D Williams for voice work. Now he is becoming a jedi master at the academy. Am I the only one that wishes they would've taken a different route in Kyle Katarn's story? A route that left some character developement to still take place, and didn't take such long leaps through the possible scenarios, wasting lots of content that could be used for the story line of other games? I think that the closeness they're giving him with the alliance, and luke, etc wasn't good for the story... With the way things are going they almost HAVE to make the next game focus on someone else.

I also wish they would've taken a different route with the rest of the story line in JKII. I think it was a very poor idea to allow Dessan to actually GET to the Valley of the Jedi. I mean, in JK1 they made it sound like Jerec would be utterly unstopable if he succeeded in getting the Valleys power, but in JKII Dessan is still a weakling, and his 'Reborn' forces that bathed in the Valley's power are far weaker then a normal jedi... Also, I felt waaay too much was left open at the end of the game. Such as what ever happened to Dessan and his troops at the Valley? I know rouge squadren chased them away but it seemed to be too little of an explanation for something so monumental. Also, what about Tavion? What about all the Reborns and Shadow troopers? Luke said that there may be hundreds, but there may also be thousands of shadow troopers made. Luke even said that "it may be worse than that" when Kyle said that "we may have a new Emperor on our hands". Once Dessan was dead everything just seemed fine and dandy... What gives?

I'm all for taking a break from Kyle and having someone else step in as the main character for a litte while. It worked in MotS, there's no reason why it shouldn't work again -- as long as they don't ruin Kyle's character to the point where he'll never be a viable main character again.

Personally, my gut feeling tells me that this so called JKIII will not be touted as a true sequal to JKII, and that a game WILL be made that will focus on Kyle Katarn as the main character. Although Raven said that JKIII will NOT be an expansion, I still believe that when a true sequal is made, that it will be more or less an expansion, considering it uses the same engine as JO, and has a lot of the 'far out' features that an expansion might have.

Originally posted by Mero Vilul

I think we're gonna fight Kyle above a lava pit at the end and then we'll push him into it and he'll turn completely to the dark side and we would face him in episodes 4-5-6 as the master villian!

ROFL :rofl::p

Hey come on, people, it's not that bad. Kyle's still going to be around. I liked playing Kyle, but I'm one of those people who doesn't want to see the same character saving the universe all the time, and playing as his Padawan makes sense to me. If he's not killed off, then there's still scope for him to make a come-back in yet another sequel, or expansion.

Kyles's had 4 outings already (I always counted MotS as more than just an expansion pack...more like a true sequel that wasn't completely finished), so he's had a good run. :)

Originally posted by Belgirion

I want to play as Yun :D He was barely hit in JK1!

YUN LIVES!

...ummm ... did you miss the part later on in the cutscene (light path) where he is destroyed and you get his saber?

Mike

I like Kyle, enjoyed him very much in all 3 games, and would like to play as him again.

Comments:

- I disagree that he was ruined in JKII ... at least for me. I played JK1 as a light path jedi working towards further jedi enlightment and saber mastery, not guns and the 'Han Solo' ethic. So the path in JKII worked well for me.

- I read from Mike Gummelt that Kyle poses more gameplay than problems for them - this is because he is a fully developed Jedi with tremendous power. He just can't tumble back to zero for no apparent reason again. I resented the beginning of MotS starting so weak as Kyle.

- I also like the idea of a new JK / Kyle based game based on new engine being developed a year or so later. (Chang mentioned that also)

Mike

Here is a hint that we will be able to play as Kyle again in the future. This is from one of the developers at Raven:

And it's called Jedi Knight III right now for lack of a better name, I, personally, would not call it a "sequel" to JK2 since I think a DF/JK game should always be about the Katarns (maybe a true JK3 could be about Kyle and Jan's child, who perhaps shows a particularly strong adeptness with the Force...?) So I wouldn't be surprised if the name doesn't stay "Jedi Knight III" (but who knows). Not that it's not a full game, it's bigger than JK2 in terms of gameplay, content and features, it's just not, in my opinion, the true sequel to JK2. I think that one shouldn't be done for a year or so and should probably use a new engine.

That quote makes it sound like at the MOST we will only be seeing a Katarn in the form of a child of Jan an Kyle... But maybe you're right... For once I'd like to play Kyle as a full fledged Jedi that STARTS with powerful force powers (you can still add power progression without starting at ground zero).

Archived