Home

Official Ledge-Grabbing into JK3 Petition!!!!

mariners2001

Implement ledge-grabbing into JK3?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Implement ledge-grabbing into JK3?

• Yes
    • No (please state your reasoning)

Actually I could really go for this. And I think ways to balance it are numerous and apparent:

When grabbing, all regular actions should be paused, including mana recharge. Thus, people couldn't just hang out [bad pun] until they're back up to Force par in MP.

Also, so that carrying guns while grabbing works, the animation could be such that with bigger guns, the character just grabs with the free left hand. From that point they could just let go, holster the gun, or whatnot.

And to keep people from using ledge grab to avoid their foes in MP, make it vulnerable to pull, but not push. That way, players waiting to kick the living crap out of them above can "help" them back up onto the ledge with a "friendly" pull. And the only way to make them lose their grip and fall would be to jump down yourself and pull them on the way down, dropping both of you [in most situations]. A "stomp hands" feature could still be implemented on top of this, but I think it's a little superfluous. What function would it be bound to? And let's not forget, even if people could just hang there instead of fighting, they can still be shot, hacked, lightning...ed, etc. Have to work out what sort of attacks could make a person lose their grip, I suppose.

I really think it could work, and for some reason, I'd be really happy to see this feature in the next JK.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THen again, how many other Q3 games have lightsabers? :D

I would like to see a whole range of vertical movement. Ledge grabbing, sliding along the ledge, ladder climbing (I really miss that from EF), maybe even walls you can scale, would add a whole new dimension (literally!) to the game, even MP. A new way to sneak into a flag base in a CTF game, a new way to set up an ambush, a way to climb up to annoying snipers...

Guest Jolts

I think splinter cell is the best example how LGing adds depth to the interactivity of a game. I would only suggest that if they plan on having the game have any stealth element, that they rip off splinter cell in all its glory. If you've never played splinter cell and want to see what I'm talking about go download the latest demo.

As far the the Lg animations you would need

jump up

catch

move left

move right

pull up

release

land

Go check out the obiwan trailer on the lec site to see how they used it for their game. That game also had multiplayer so if you have it you can replay it with a buddy to see how it effects multiplayer.

Edit: Obi-Wan has no multiplayer. At the time it was shown at E3 2000 (when it was still slated for PC and had multiplayer planned) ledge grabbing was NOT an option.

As for SP I'm afraid it's just the matter of whether LG is alread in or not. Don't forget that "the levels are in place" (according to the Games Domain interview). If ledge grabbing isn't there, it doesn't seem possible to put it as a new feature without rebuilding all levels. So if Raven decided to have it in this time, I'll be happy. Otherwise I won't despair ;).

LG in MP could indeed work great if well balanced. At last fighting in places like reactor room in Duel of the Fates would make any sense (especially when Force Push is at work :)).

And the last concern. Take into account that games like TR, IJ, SC are practically TPP only (execluding aiming mode). Jedi Academy still remains an FPS with TPP option so it is likely that LG would be enabled only when wielding lightsaber (along with other acrobatic tricks).

ladge grabing would be sweet.... but..... q3 engine probly dousn't suport somthing so rpg syle like... especialy prone.... think about it... you would have to have your caracter spin all the way around if u fell off a ledge, and by then... by by. i hope they do figure out how to do it though.... :bdroid2: maby they could implant stanima to the game... so your caracter gets tired and can't move around on the ledge n-e more?

Originally posted by Lanceo9

ladge grabing would be sweet.... but..... q3 engine probly dousn't suport somthing so rpg syle like... especialy prone.... think about it... you would have to have your caracter spin all the way around if u fell off a ledge, and by then... by by. i hope they do figure out how to do it though.... :bdroid2: maby they could implant stanima to the game... so your caracter gets tired and can't move around on the ledge n-e more?

- urban terror (a mod for q3) has a form of ledge grabbing

- sof2 has prone

- many q3 mods and games have stamina

Originally posted by mike_windu|CLU|

whats prone? lol

Prone means lying flat on your stomach.

That would not be RPG-ish at all...it could mean lots of tactical opportunities. Being able to crawl under ledges that you couldn't fit through otherwise and lay an ambush, or lying flat behind a bush on a hill to snipe...

Ledge grabbing yeah i'd gladly like it in JA but wouldn't it make it too much like Bounty Hunter because you have to do alot of ledge jumping there , and also you could fire 1 of your blaster pistols whilst climbing along a ledge what would a jedi do???

He or her would most likely end up cutting there legs off if they tried to defelect blaster bolts or a another lightsaber. :confused:

oh my god yes, ive been really pissed off playing nar shaddaa, i fall down to one of the lower platforms but i miss by a millimeter and slide alongside the edge goofishly as i fall to my doom...

it would be a really good gameplay element too, hang off a ledge and wait for someone to walk by, and BAM! you jump out and start slashin! hehe

(Prone is when you get down on the ground all the way, like a soldier)

I think that ledge-grabbing would be a fantastic addition to the game. It's more jedi/movie-like first and foremost. The more moves, and features that can be added to this game that give it more of a jedi/movie feel, the better. Starwars is all about those memorable moments. To give the player more and more options/moves to create their own memorable moments would do great to make this game a real classic. I don't really give a **** about how balanced MP is and all the constant complaints about it. Of course it needs to be balanced well. duh! but I think that too many people are focusing on the Quake-ness of this game and not the StarWars-ness of the game. -I know that doesn't make much sense, but I feel like JO was missing something that JK/MOTS had, and I hope that JA can really capture the feeling of being a Jedi. The reason the Q3 engine, and the FPS genre was used was not to be the next multiplayer deathmatch mayhem game, but b/c it was the most suitable environment to allow for a Jedi-like experience. -Sorry I felt a vent coming on and I took it.

On to why ledge grabbing is a good idea.

I thought of this the other day. If you assign lots of points to force defence (or something like that), when you get pushed over a ledge in MP you will likely grab the legde like Obi-Wan in the PM.

If you don't assign many points, you might get pushed right off. Also, at point-blank range near a ledge, you might get pushed off regardless, which means for those push/pull whores out there, they would have to manuver to get you really close to the ledge, and use some skill for a change -right?

Also if they add some simple combo moves, maybe if you learn the combo that launches you right back up, then you're in good shape to continue fighting. If you can't do the move in time, your opponent might just knock you all the way off, or chop you up. Also, nearby explosions (detonators, etc.), might blow you off the ledge you're hanging onto, if you don't get back up in time. I think this would really add a sweet dimension to MP.

-Maybe you get knocked off and your opponent doesn't see your little hands hanging on there. You then shimy around to a good spot, and do the Obi-Wan - Darth Maul finisher from the PM. Hell, that yellow stance move is practically that whole move already!

I just think it will add a great deal of new strategy that hasn't really been seen in MP. The advantages in SP are obvious I think.

That's MHO

Originally posted by Matariel

oh my god yes, ive been really pissed off playing nar shaddaa, i fall down to one of the lower platforms but i miss by a millimeter and slide alongside the edge goofishly as i fall to my doom...

Oh yes, that one was terrible too. When I took a look at it, the first though it came to my mind was: "I have a bad feeling about this..." and the second: "... where is that quickloading button again?"

There's also that level at Doomsgiver that you had to set up the comm link with Rogue Squadron... Who in the hell projected that comm device? Floating rooms in an infinite chasm with small bridges connecting one to other? That one sucked too, It didn't even made sense... Hope they don't bring those painful moments back to JA. Well maybe just a little... ;)

it would be a really good gameplay element too, hang off a ledge and wait for someone to walk by, and BAM! you jump out and start slashin! hehe

And the best: Pushing stormies to the hole... :p In multi its a little fun, because of the extra danger and balance.

Guest Jolts

ledge grab could have been a cool counter to being pushed/grip chucked off the side of a building....if there was a lower section of the map and something to aim for to grab ahold of. But the reality is that raven is not going to include it, the time for that has passed, your only hope is that a mod adds it.

I love how just because the game has been publically announced, everyone insists that "the time for implementing new elements is over."

Don't sing that song till it goes gold, my friends.

Fall '03 [which invariably means Winter] is a long way away.

Frankly, in my editing experience [which yes, does exist], one or two new animations [with Raven's tools], an addition to the code of this scale, and pulling some gaps apart in the SP levels is perfectly feasible [an added bit of difficulty, but that's what all game creation is], yes while still going forward with the rest of the project, and yes in time for release.

Prove me wrong.

Edited for clarification and...for your pleasure.

Originally posted by t3rr0r

- urban terror (a mod for q3) has a form of ledge grabbing

- sof2 has prone

- many q3 mods and games have stamina

i never said that q3 wouldent suport stamina....... LEDGE GRAPING WOOHOO!

Archived