Home

World Government

World Government. Yes or no?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. World Government. Yes or no?

• Yes, good idea
    • No, I'm proud of my unique country
    • No, it'll never work
    • Only if there really needs to be one (Earth is threatened,etc.)

The US, Iraq, and Israel aren't the only nations that have ever opposed the UN. Korea anyone?

Anyways, it will never work. While the UN is a step towards, it would be almost impossible because of the diversity in this world, and the feelings of hate. The hate must be withdrawn before such a thing can occur.

Heavyarms:

There was racial hate in the United States when it formed too. Not that it's completely gone now, but it is toned down.

Anyway, As CD said:

As you said, "I think that all nations should..."

Ofcourse, it'd be better if the whole world were one nation. Many things as we know it wouldn't exist, but the question is can such a thing happen.

The barrier of differences is so HUGE in the world, right now, that I don't think such a thing could work. Who would be our president? Should it be an American? An Englishman? A Frenchman? A chinese? what? If the most populous countries get their way, Indians and Chinese could rule the executive (if it were to be a democracy)...but such a thing would be unacceptable by many nations' eyes.

Now that's only one of the many barriers that could arise.

Originally posted by krkode

Who would be our president? Should it be an American? An Englishman? A Frenchman? A chinese? what?

A Citizen of Terra.

If the most populous countries get their way, Indians and Chinese could rule the executive [...] but such a thing would be unacceptable by many nations' eyes.

But not in the eyes of the majority, no? It's a tough question. But like I said above, the idea is that there would be no Chinese, no Indian, only Terran citizens.

(if it were to be a democracy)...

Then Democracy would be voted out as it stands right now... :p

Seriously, though, the world will have to be a far more civilized place for this to be possible. The world would have to already have most of the attributes that the Whole World Government is to promote...

Let's just put this plain and simple, it won't work. You no why? Just in ordinary countries there are alot of people with diferent ideas on how their country should be run, everyone has diferent Ideas on just about everything. Now think how this would work, everyone in the world arguing with each other on how the nation should be ran. Eventually there would be no choice but for the nation to become a Dictatorship.

Well, you couldn't have a presidental rule, if that's what you eagles were thinking?

Think: It costs millions on millions to travel around the USA on a presidential campaign. Imagine the whole world. And who would count 6 billion votes anyway? Seeing how the USA struggles to count 273 million votes (well, 273 minus those who can't vote), 6 billion would be:D.. just teasing.

You'd have to have some sort of monarchy system like the Scandinavian systems (maybe not even that free). This is not what Americans like, is it? Second, we couldn't have a single leader at all, so the Scandinavians wouldn't be pleased either..

See where I'm getting? No one would be happy with the system. I personally theorize you've been watching too much Star Trek.

*warning...I have a belief in other worlds...so If you don't believe in them just pass on by and don't read my post*

I'd love to see it happen...but it won't. Not for a long long time.

1. Not till travel is much faster and much less expensive. (in other words very easy to take a trip to a foreign country...less than 1 hour of travel, costs $100 or less (our current money value)

2. Not until we have a real threat to face. That meaning not of this earth. Nations only come together when faced with extreme problems. Many nations started out as a mutual defense agreement and developed into a full fledged nation later as they found their paths very similar.

3. It will also depend on the type of civilization that we find outside of Earth. If it is not united then we will likely not become united...if it is...to compete with them...we will likely become united.

4. This mostly requires an outside threat. As long as we do not look inward we will slowly loose our older cultures and mold into a new world sized one. But if there is no outside threat then the nations of the world will continue with a United Nations and not become a truely united government. (much like the Articles of Confederation for the US)

Basically, you're saying the only reason why it can't work is that human is not determined enough?

2. Not until we have a real threat to face. That meaning not of this earth. Nations only come together when faced with extreme problems. Many nations started out as a mutual defense agreement and developed into a full fledged nation later as they found their paths very similar.

Again, I state my point: It won't work more than communism. No matter how much of an external threat Russia faced, communism still failed.

Oh, and if we're really going to be invaded (as in Alpha Centauri and their hyperspace vessels declaring war), we would be more busy preparing our defenses than carrying out some kind of reform/unification/revolution which would cost billions, maybe trillions of dollars and years of organization.

3. It will also depend on the type of civilization that we find outside of Earth. If it is not united then we will likely not become united...if it is...to compete with them...we will likely become united.

4. This mostly requires an outside threat. As long as we do not look inward we will slowly loose our older cultures and mold into a new world sized one.

Interesting, but untrue. Did the European countries lose their cultures and become a single people when we "stopped looking inwards" and colonized the Americas? Nope.

Did the East Asians become a single people when they "looked outwards" and realised there was a funny, "cute" (quote:)), backward people in Europe? No.

The more foreign pressure you feel, the more you want to hang onto your culture. Basically the opposite of what you said. If Earth was invaded, Norsemen would still eat salted fish and live in woodem houses and ski to school. We wouldn't assimilate into a so-called "human culture", and by the way, neither would the Americans.

What kind of culture would that be anyway? Do you really expect a single culture to spread unchanged all over the world anyway? Basically, that's what happened when the first African settlers started populating the world (many Chinese don't even eat with the same tools as the Westerners do, just to give an example).

An example would be the dark Americans and the Civil Rights Movement. But really, they all lived in the same country. There were equal movements in Africa, yet the African countries are all different, aren't they?

Also, World War II. Didn't cause the Allied nations to throw away their culture.

Just to ask a question: For what purpose other than sounding cool?

I want the Scandinavian nations to be united as one, too, but that's for the influence's sake (one little country of 4 000 000 people doesn't have too much influence -a union of 20 000 000 people does).

If you say it would end all wars, think again. The American states fought each others, didn't they? And that's the only thing I can think of.

Also remember, it won't be anything close to an American governmnent. It probably won't even be a democracy as you know it, but more like a council thing with representation based on population.

We already have a union as such: The United States. Any country that meets the requirements can join the States (most countries are like that, by the way). The only way a World Union can occur is that one nation accepts all other nations to join it as states, or trough conquest (no, don't even suggest it).

• 3 weeks later...

Eagle, I was mainly using the United States as a guidline...although the united states did not start off nearly as diverse as it is now and Is probably not the best example...But I was thinking along the lines of the UN is the Articles of Confederation for the world, eventually because of threats to the world in some form or fashion it would be required to make a world nation to deal with outside threats more effectively. Instead of having all of these seperate military and police forces all over the world using just whatever they can get (in some countries horses and a sword may be it), the militaries of the world become fully euipped to do battle on a planetary level with outside forces...because if the world didn't unite...then it would be everycountry for its self and many countries can't do that at all...

basically I know it's completely idealistic and just as plausable as Utopia...but I do believe that one day machines and advances in technology will have blotted out ancient traditions so completely (it's already well on its way to doing it) that there will be little stuggle to make a planetary government.

I have a question here: Why are so many Americans in favor of a World Order?

Instead of having all of these seperate military and police forces all over the world using just whatever they can get (in some countries horses and a sword may be it), the militaries of the world become fully euipped to do battle on a planetary level with outside forces...

Keep in mind that many militiaries do not need more than they can get. Ie. Iceland doesn't have a military at all. Norway has a standing army of less than 9000 soldiers.

Just that a country has a small army doesn't have to mean it won't do well.

And what's an "outside threat"? Aliens? With all due respect, you can't use aliens as an argument on why you should unite the world because we don't even know if they even know about us.

No nessasarily. Perhaps it could be global warming/pollution, asteroids, etc, supernova (radiation gets to us, evac. the planet)

And on aliens. Maybe they already know about us, and they are planning thier invasion already, becuase if they are then we are already as good as conquered if we do not unite. Also, maybe they come with us with benevolent intentions, and the only way for us to stand in a galactic community would be for us to be one.

• 6 months later...

Star Wars and Star Trek are myths. There cannot be a world government. Not at this stage in humanity's evolution and mental state. Hell, as DE said, the U.S. had a civil war between it's state. And it was a relatively small country at the time. If it was the whole world, there'd bound to be lots of rebelions.

Plus, that's 6 billion people. How many of those, really, would want to live in a single country? You're bound to have a few who want loads of power(more importantly, one country means that one corrupt election/office means horrible things) will just split the world into "clans".

The only time, really, when we will have a chance at a world order is when the populace is both severely threated, and most of it was killed( I mean, being trimmed back to 1 or 2 billion people at the most).

Which unforunately means Nuclear War or aliens. Although of the aliens happen to be peaceful, then we might have a chance. Unless they found some I Love Lucy signals, then they have every right to blow our planet up. :D

Edit- Gah! I forgot that this thread was made 6 months ago..sorry.

Archived