Home

What I fear most about JK3

shock ~ unnamed

Raven should not look at the movies to see how good gameplay works in a game. A game is a game, a movie is a movie.

Usually, if you want things the same as in the movie, it's not fun for the gameplay.

Don't focus on realism and the movie, focus on great, fantastic, exciting gameplay.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do apologise - I cut that last post into the wrong reply window!

I cant help but keep n00bing it up this week!

Anyway - back on topic now...

It will always be tough to get the degree of real world emulation we all strive for. Any game.

The fact that the two mediums are different in this way is important... It leaves open the door for modders to do this.

What I most fear about Jedi Acadamy is that it won't be any better then Jedi Outcast......that it won't live up to the hype. It looks great so far and has great potential. So right now, those are my biggest fears.

Bah, you're all lightweights. This is the original and best fanboy-parody post: Phayyde's Book of Honor

DEALING with fanboys is quite simple. You kill them all. All the time. Everywhere.

Make no mistake, they've declared war on us, so we must fight them with equal intensity. The fanboy invaders will never EVER take our FPS away from us. They will die in ignominy, for they are the truly dishonourable ones.

So if you see some fanboys organising a duel in any server except a duel server, kill them with your gun. If you see them pretending to be proprieters of shops or galactic barbers in any server, kill them with your gun.

And when they start threads in places like this, and on massassi, and on local game networks COMPLAINING about us and our dishonourable behaviour, you must respond with lightning clarity... "We play this game the way it was meant to be played. If you don't like it, go fiddle in Baldur's Gate."

But make no mistake, fanboys will never be eradicated totally. Like the Dark Side, they'll lie in wait for centuries, millennia even until we grow complacent and lax in our watch. Then they'll strike.

The price of a fanboy-free community is eternal vigilance, and constant involvement in the community. If we're happy with the game, we must all tell the developers so, so that they don't change it on the behest of the vocal minority of fanboys.

Amen to that, the spoon is one your side (and also cos you hosted my game int the tourney, I'm sitll to pay you back)

Also the RPG peps shoudl stick to their own servers and stuff and keep away from the ordinary uncivilised people.

It should be clear by now that this is an fps with "rpg elements"

Doesn't mean that we sohudl be invaded by rpgers :p

it's dues ex all over again... :mad:

Oh, wait, i actually liked Dues Ex. :D

Well, no worries, guys. Although i'll give the RPG single-player all i got, When i play multi-player, you can count on me being a ganking taunting honorless dirty-fighting jackass all the way.

WIEGRAF!!!... i'm addicted to FFT again for like the 7th time...

check out SHINRAONLINE.com it's a forum like this one, if you register you can select from tons of FFT avatars. Just copy them to your computer and upload them to this site as your avatar.

unless of course you were just suggesting that you liked FFT and had no intension of wanting an FFT avatar.

But in case you do hear is the URL:Shinraonline FFT avatars

And good luck to all those dedicated to eliminating the RP nerds. Your quest is noble, may God bless you!

mabee we should start a RPeliminator clan or somthing. Hmmm...

edit: that URL doesn't seem to be accessible, looks like you'll have to do it the hard way:(

Well, no worries, guys. Although i'll give the RPG single-player all i got, When i play multi-player, you can count on me being a ganking taunting honorless dirty-fighting jackass all the way.
Remember, honour isn't bowing before duels, honour isn't letting fanboys spin around and amkiss.

Honour is behaving like a grown-up, being civil, not insulting or whining. Fanboys scream about honour all the time, but they don't know the meaning of the word, in fact they're the most dishonourable of all players. They dirty the word "honour" when they type it. We must crush them all!

Agen and Zodiac, good points.

• 2 months later...

UJ i wish I can do those things you do in ur laming vids. Everytime I enter so/ff server thats ffa I feel sorry for most of the guys and don't do anything. The only time I have ever seriously tried to lame was when me and evil as hell entered this australian server. We got owned with 200+ ping by a bunch of australian guys that actually had really nice ptks.

The only two all guns fags i have ever met was desnipa and creator. BUt I have been in ffa servers where ppl load up on armor and stuff saber off and will complain if you attack them since they are loading.

UJ everytime I try to pull off your stunts I start feeling sorry for the ppl in those so/ff ffa servers and don't do anything. I no longer play ffa guns, only tffa, ctf and 1v1. But when I used to I remmeber there was a bunch of serveres where ppl would run around saber off to load up on armor and would complain if you shoot them. Only 2 gun fags that i have met on select servers are-desnipa and creator.

But I welcome the masses of angry newbs that will come in when jk3 comes out. But I do wish for a larger elite community which jk1 did not really provide. Even many of the twl players are just brainless newbs.

orignally posted by Emon

...or what if Raven would stick to the objective of their plans, which is to make a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER and leave out the RPG elements for morons who like to ruin the game which is a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER and you go play a real ROLE PLAYING GAME

....is this really a FPS?? there's no denying the fact that this is no longer a pure FPS ever since that first monment lightsabers are introduced. with that in mind, i think Raven really should be implmenting some sort of RPG mode for those player who prefer those 1v1 saber duels (which i enjoyed), and shooters mode for the majority of us here (which i enjoyed more if a server sets up the right force powers).

oh yea i think SC's a bad idea, and hopefully they'll vanish when SWG comes out.

I'd agree with any feature that let us see as first glance (and filter out/in) whether an MP game is intended for actual fighting or as an interesting online talky thing. Maybe a "custom" gametype where you can change the game type to anything you'd like (hopefully discriptive) and a box where you can type (maybe a maximum of 200 characters) an extra description to clarify things.

There are usually uses for stuff that weren't intended or even thought of when they were designed. Obviously I'm not condoning the forcing of new rules in an existing game and upon its players, but as they can distinguish themselves in their own online games as role-players then I don't see the harm.

And also, terms like "gay" and "fag" can be ambiguous in meaning. For those who use those words: if you mean to refer to "stupid people" then use other terms. Being homosexual shouldn't be an insult as it's valid and not usually a choice people make.

Originally posted by kusanagi

....is this really a FPS?? there's no denying the fact that this is no longer a pure FPS ever since that first monment lightsabers are introduced.

It is still a FPS in every sense of the of the word. The lightsaber is just another weapon, and does not change this. There have been knifes, swords, explosive charges, batons, and so on in many FPS, before JO.

Originally posted by zerowingzero

http://www.oculis.org/asc/index.html

The now dead *ASC* main site...(due to lack of -SC-)

lol looking at this site made me want to play jk2 in the first place...

First of all, whatchu talking about, *ASC* being dead. I'm still standing, last time I checked.

What's so nice is finally people are waking the bloody hell up and seeing what was wrong with JKII from the beginning, and now are planning to stop it. I'd be damned if I would allow someone like Slow-Burn to kickstart the SC again and let him get away with it.

What people fail to see is respect is earned, not handed out like the town bike where everyone gets a ride (ok, bad analogy). Since I dare say that I refuse to acknowledge 7/8 of the player base because they can't pull their heads out of their arse and recognize that respect is not due in their general direction, I'll continue to open a can on them on their servers.

Someone pass me my saber, the one that says "Fanboy's Worst Nightmare" on it (I'll take some detpacks for the Blackrose Special too).

EDIT: And for those complaining about the sitting emotes in Jedi Master or CTF: get some detpacks, surround the sitting bastard with said detpacks, then pull the trigger.

I'm normally a "to each their own" kinda guy but I'm seriously getting annoyed by all the SabreDown=Peace and the "Let's stand around and chat for a few hours" servers. Sometimes it takes forever to find a server where people are actually fighting instead of BS'ing or posing. For once I would like to see a server that says "You are unwise to lower your defenses!!!" or "SaberDown=InstaGib"on startup. Or even "Excessive babbling will result in kick!". Oh yeah. Roleplaying. WTF is up with that?! Whenever I see one of those I feel like I opened up a fridge and found last years chili.

Originally posted by lllKyNeSlll

Its mainly that bowing stuff thats annoying. Now that ppl in my clan even bow (pyro, don'ot know if he's screwing round or for real) and reborn with his (gf). But these silly newbs only make me feel sorry, thats why I never make laming vids like UJ

Not only that ... it is one thing to bow in a Duel server - you can have rules or whatever. It gets me in FFA - didn't that mean FREE FOR ALL last time I checked, as in kill everything in sight? Only when I find Jedi Master games do I get something like a pure fight - I'll miss that mode, my only real quality MP time was spent there ...

Mike

heh, nothing wrong w/ a "gf" or even a bow Kynes.

It's no different than a gg at the end of a CTF match or a "nice shot" comment between two gunners.

But that's a hell of a lot different than the OMFG!! OMGF!!!! HE LAMED ME, YES THAT MOTHER ****** HAS NO HONOR HE LAMMMEEDD MEEE!!!1111" nonsense that is common on jk2 servers these days.

As for the demos, I really don't go around trying to make them. It is just almost impossible to connect to a jk2 server anymore w/o having a pack of angry "honor Jedi" noobs flip out because I brushed up against them w/ a saber so I just record once they start going ballistic.

Sorry this post is long but I've got to respond to some of these posts and I had missed this thread previously. With that in mind, here we go...

Originally posted by Ronin_Medjai

I dont see whats wrong with JKO RPGs .I agree with you a hundred percent that the RPers shouldnt go to FFA servers and try to force their 'RPG Cult Ways' on the FFAers . I play all aspects of JKO and one of them is RPG,but seriously sometimes I get tired of typing and just wanna blow something up,but to say dont include RPG aspects in JKIII is biased and wrong. What someone does with their copy of JKO is their buisness and you shouldnt criticise them for it. Yeah sure if they come into a FFA and get all pissed off cause you guys arent RPing be my guest to get mad,but just /kick the guy fromur server problem solved...dont ruin the Other Genres of JKO world for others just for you opinionated views.

And as I said in the Sticky thread at top just include thewse rpg features for cheat enabled or something...or just leave the option open for us to be able to create an RPG Mod from it thats All I was asking... I guarantee you RPers using RPG Mod wont bother ur FFA servers ;)

The point is that ALL of the FFA servers have become gay'ed out RPG palaces. Go to any other game and join a DM server, see how many rules there are. Usually no cursing and no cheating is the extent. You're not armed in any other game, oh well, tough ****.

Originally posted by Spider AL

Bah, you're all lightweights. This is the original and best fanboy-parody post: Phayyde's Book of Honor ;)

DEALING with fanboys is quite simple. You kill them all. All the time. Everywhere.

Make no mistake, they've declared war on us, so we must fight them with equal intensity. The fanboy invaders will never EVER take our FPS away from us. They will die in ignominy, for they are the truly dishonourable ones.

So if you see some fanboys organising a duel in any server except a duel server, kill them with your gun. If you see them pretending to be proprieters of shops or galactic barbers in any server, kill them with your gun.

And when they start threads in places like this, and on massassi, and on local game networks COMPLAINING about us and our dishonourable behaviour, you must respond with lightning clarity... "We play this game the way it was meant to be played. If you don't like it, go fiddle in Baldur's Gate."

But make no mistake, fanboys will never be eradicated totally. Like the Dark Side, they'll lie in wait for centuries, millennia even until we grow complacent and lax in our watch. Then they'll strike.

The price of a fanboy-free community is eternal vigilance, and constant involvement in the community. If we're happy with the game, we must all tell the developers so, so that they don't change it on the behest of the vocal minority of fanboys.

HAHAHAHAH ROFLMFAO!!!!

Originally posted by Emon

People want emotes that make you invulerable so you can sit on your ass and annoy other people. Asside from being annoying as ****, it ****s up gameplay. There's nothing worse than some ass hole with the flag on his back sitting Indian style in the middle of the map. The game never ****ing ends.

Hence why we have all emotes disabled on our server. Plus we're using the new Jedi Academy mod 1.3, ChosenOne recoded the emotes so they couldn't be used in such a way, IE can't emote out of a DFA, etc.

Originally posted by nova_wolf

I think that a nice server of their own would be a good way to handle this.

I liked the online code of honour of bowing, but only at the start of a duel - was nice.

One of the servers I played on had a specific area where the Code was upheld. An exhibition area. Bespins Landing pad normally. the whole saber on / off was upheld there only.

Everywhere else was open season. That worked well. Proper duelling was allowed in one place, blasting in another.

But I agree that this whole RPGing it to match the films is crap though.

If you want that, make a level to emmulate the movie sequences.

Just as long as people do accept a server inposed honour code, then thats good.

Its like religion. Practise it where its wanted - dont preach to or try and convert those who honestly couldnt give a Wokie's testical - it will only end in tears and blood - YOURS!

WE DONT WANT THEM MAKING 14814815 DIFFERENT SERVERS WITH RPG QUALITIES!!! ONE OR TWO IS FINE BUT NOT EVERY DANG FFA SERVER LIKE IT IS NOW, SOME OF US LIKE TO SLASH AND FRAG WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT GETTING FLAMED OR VOTE KICKED.

Originally posted by Zodiac

Raven should not look at the movies to see how good gameplay works in a game. A game is a game, a movie is a movie.

Usually, if you want things the same as in the movie, it's not fun for the gameplay.

Don't focus on realism and the movie, focus on great, fantastic, exciting gameplay.

Indeed. Not to mention this game isn't called The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the Jedi, it's called Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy and last time I checked there was no movie using either title.

My overall spin:

===========

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PEOPLE! STAY AWAY FROM JEDI ACADEMY IF YOU WANT TO RPG! Let it return to the way this series was meant, as a FPS with a saber, NOT an FPS/RPG. You have KOTOR for that in SP, and in 2 days you'll all have SWG to RPG to your hearts content. I really don't want to have to wait till NEXT summer for a star wars based TRUE FPS (Republic Commando built on the Unreal Warfare engine if you don't know what I'm talking about comes out summer 2004).

Heheh, good topic, I'd agree with the fact that it should focus on the FPS aspect of this game and not the RPG aspect, if there was one from the start.:rolleyes:

Indeed, I can't find a good server anymore that's SO FFA, and there are only two good pub gun servers anymore. It's really rediculous to see everyone sitting around and walking around. It's VERY tempting to "lame" them because it's so boring, unlike other FPS where it is truly FFA.

RPG fanboys are also here, if you want to take a look.

http://s1.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.asp?board=32648

It is still a FPS in every sense of the of the word. The lightsaber is just another weapon, and does not change this. There have been knifes, swords, explosive charges, batons, and so on in many FPS, before JO.

But here lies the problem, the lightsaber is not JUST a weapon, it was made to sum how match all other weapons (the game was called JEDI outcast after all), it didnt work of coz, but its still in the game, and its making JO having this stupid identity crsis, not to mention those damn fanboys...

Originally posted by Guardian Omega

Heheh, good topic, I'd agree with the fact that it should focus on the FPS aspect of this game and not the RPG aspect, if there was one from the start.:rolleyes:

Indeed, I can't find a good server anymore that's SO FFA, and there are only two good pub gun servers anymore. It's really rediculous to see everyone sitting around and walking around. It's VERY tempting to "lame" them because it's so boring, unlike other FPS where it is truly FFA.

RPG fanboys are also here, if you want to take a look.

http://s1.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/gentopic.asp?board=32648

What are you talking about? That's the only fun now. Go into one of these servers and lame away. I'm banned on atleast 5 servers for doing it. They deserve all the laming we can give them till JA comes out.

Personally, I don't much care about MP crap in JK3. If the community is anything like the community in JO, then as far as I'm concerned, the MP portion of the game is DOA. I like Outcast for it's single player. I'd imagine that the same will be true for Academy. If I want a good multiplayer experience, I'll play a game where the average online player has intelligence and maturity higher than that of a twelve year old.

As long as the elite community is big enough, I don't mind. I personally think that jk3 will be a better game than jk2. JK2 probably was a better single player game than multiplayer. Many people disliked the gameplay, and if I hadn't realized that it was q3 engine that you could strafe jump, I probably would have walked away too since it was a bit too slow at first.

Archived