JK vs JKII

rad-x

What's better - JKI or JKII  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What's better - JKI or JKII

• Dark Forces: Jedi Knight
    • Jedi Kinight II
    • I haven't played one of them

What have they done to him? That is not Kyle Katarn in JKII. Anyone who has played the original Jedi Knight knows this. In JKI, Kyle is a cocky individual displayed with natural enthusiam by actor Jason Court in the motion-picture cutscenes.

But in JKII, he's a husky voiced old man, staid and serious, and definetly someone you would not like to role-play.

The level design in JKI, is of course legendary and visionary. But in JKII, the level design, notably the first few levels. The second mission, is plagued by poorly-made puzzles, which includes blocks ascending and descending from the floor. Those should have been missed out.

JKII most endearing quality is the lightsabre. In JKI, you felt like an idiot waving a 10 AMP glowing stick. Of course, that was not the game's fault, as 1997 was not blessed with the advantages developers have now. The lightsabre duels in JKI were limited, but never less than adequate. JKII's lightsabre duels were easy to learn, and such elements as the multiplayer was addictive.

Anyway vote in the poll, and I'll see what you think....

I shan't vote, as I love both. I really love how Kyle was depicted in DF, but the saber fighting in JO really expanded on the revolutionary idea they put to work in DF. I agree, Kyle's character is "tainted" in JO, but not by that much. Besides, he's becoming a Jedi!

JK has a much better story. JO has better gameplay. In JO SP I really felt like a Jedi, which as great as it was JK didn't really accomplish. I've also found JO MP much more enjoyable, with bigger games, better maps (especially for CTF, even if there aren't very many), and my all-time favorite weapon the disruptor. So overall I vote for JO.

JK2, for the imporovements in gameplay. personally, both stories are quite unlikely, becoming JEDI MASTER in a week in jk is unbelievable, and 7 dark jedi-7? and no help from the republic. c'mon! JO story was much different, more armagedon-feeling even if Jerec would have been deadlier than desann.

I don't care about story, It's all about gameplay. Story is just a bonus.

So definetly JKII.

better graphics,and more of evrything(characters, weapons, levels, etc...)

The only thing I don't like, is being a balding scronny midget old man. I wish you were some young Jedi in your prime kinda deal.

I also wish for freedom. I hate haveing to follow the story. I wan't to choose my own fricken destiny! I don't want to play the part of some guy, I want to be ME!

That's the only problem with developing a character in a game, not evryone will be satisfied. But if theirs no character, no one can dislike his characteristics. The only problem is people complain that he has no character. But if he did have a character, what if they didn't like it. Some people just always find somthing to complain about...wait a sec...isn't that what I'm doing?...

I don't really mind his character that much. But he's just old, and ugly. I hate playing as some middleaged guy. Oh well............

It's still a kick *** game.

"Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight" is legendary. It's my second favourite game of all time and my favourite shooter. The level design is second to none, it's huge, convincing and challenging. Jedi Outcast did some things better than its predecessor (like someone said, you feel more like a Jedi in JO) but took away some of things that made it so great. Most notably in the level design, some pretty good levels were ruined by the horribly unconvincing and arcade-like puzzles. The guns were a load of crap, then again JK didn't have that brilliant a selection (DF remains the best of the series for guns). If JO's level design matched JK's, then it would be the better game, but I'm afraid it falls short almost solely because of this factor.

Originally posted by AKPiggott

"Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight" is legendary. It's my second favourite game of all time and my favourite shooter. The level design is second to none, it's huge, convincing and challenging. Jedi Outcast did some things better than its predecessor (like someone said, you feel more like a Jedi in JO) but took away some of things that made it so great. Most notably in the level design, some pretty good levels were ruined by the horribly unconvincing and arcade-like puzzles. The guns were a load of crap, then again JK didn't have that brilliant a selection (DF remains the best of the series for guns). If JO's level design matched JK's, then it would be the better game, but I'm afraid it falls short almost solely because of this factor.

From the sounds of things, a lot of things that made JK great will be brought back in Academy. THings like large levels, NPCs, and so on.

Just think, a game with all the great stuff of Jedi Knight and the technical brilliance of JO. Can't wait!!

Originally posted by rad-x

What have they done to him? That is not Kyle Katarn in JKII. Anyone who has played the original Jedi Knight knows this. In JKI, Kyle is a cocky individual displayed with natural enthusiam by actor Jason Court in the motion-picture cutscenes.

But in JKII, he's a husky voiced old man, staid and serious, and definetly someone you would not like to role-play.

Well as a man gets older he becomes serious :p and sometimes husky but hey he got old. in other words tho both games are great, but if you speak graphicaly JO deffently kicks @$$:D

Although JK had a better story-line JO sucked me way deeper into the Star Wars universe through it's visuals. The story might be a bit cheesy but I still think it's better. I'm not a graphicswhore BUT.....graphics do contribute to the experience. Everything in JO is recognisable.

JO has better gameplay.

The original JK had a lot of saber moves, not as many as JO though, but still the saber fights were fun.

What really made JK a great game was the single player story and levels, and the lenght of the game. Unlike JO, the story in JK and MoS was more complex and it carried the character to many worlds.

Originally posted by rad-x

Have you played MotS? He had a life changing event in that game. He came close to the darkside, and as a result was very doubting of himself and his place as a force user. And as you get older ou tend to become less cocky and more serious. Although I think Kyle had more character as a shoot first ask later hotshot. :)

Archived